Fordmods Logo

Benno the Viking's EL 

Page 4 of 12 [ 166 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmUYf-d0us

Here it is. I revved it to 1000, 1500, 2000, and them 3000. Blowing a bit of smoke which is gay, I don't notice it when it's warmed up...

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I hooked around in my car last night and gave my mates car a race, and I was sticking with his car which is pretty decent which I was happy with. A quick summary of what I realistically want to do with my car in the order of completion.

2 new rear tyres
tappet cover gasket
J3 chip (might change the cam to a 1673 before then)
Lowered all round
17 or 18 inch wheels, we'll see how the financial situation is at the time
ACL rebuild kit

I am keen to rebuild it but I don't have the cash at the moment, I am pleased at how cheap rebuild kits are for these though, that's always a plus :P

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

That's a really nice sounding exhaust btw Benno. Your paint looks a bit dirty though D:

EL Ghia

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

TyLeR3397 wrote:
That's a really nice sounding exhaust btw Benno. Your paint looks a bit dirty though D:

Thanks mate! Yeah, I cleaned it the other day but I have to drive on 12km of dirt road to get anywhere, so that fine dust always settles on it.

uniacidz wrote:
Agree, nice sounding exhaust

What sort of car your mate have? You said it kept up, but you know it couldve been a Laser or a Datsun 120Y. :P

Smoke;
Black means rich with under WOT and cold starts, falcons are known for.
Blueish means Valve Stem Seals usually/rings
White means headgasket

If you have a bit of blue in there, try using a different oil and possibly change the PCV valve. Bursons sell em etc but the metal ones look great but make more noise then genuine plastic ones.

XR6 i had, had more black/blue smoke. Changed PCV valve and oil for good measure and cleared it up. Also added some Lucas Heavy Oil Stabiliser in it and worked a treat.

And best oil i found for the XR6, was Royal Purple 10w 40. Costs a arm and a leg but oil change periods were doubled to 10k and so in fact saved money as usually would change oils every 5k using some other $40 oil

Once again, thanks.

Hahaha my friend has an 05 SV6 with a 2.5 inch exhaust, intake and a tune. As bogan as it sounds he has a reputation as the fastest NA 6 in our town, so I was kind of happy my car was even getting comparable to it.

As far as I could see this smoke was black so hopefully it's just running a bit rich. My head gasket weeps a bit of water out the side so I hope it doesn't s**t itself before I can fix it. I might check it out again, I was thinking of replacing the valve seals when I did that cam but didn't end up doing that. I use Valvoline engine armour 10w 40 in it and change it every 5000km, like you said, if it doubles the length of service you can save money just from the raw materials, let alone saving the time it takes to do 1 of every 2 oil changes then it's worth it.

I'll check out the PVC valve as it may be shot, and I'll get some of that Lucas Heavy Oil stabiliser. Cheers for the tips!

Oh yeah - does anyone know if an EA tappet cover will fit on an EL? Because I have one here and I reckon the ridges that run vertically up it and the ford logo look a bit better than the stock EL one. Just a thought.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Ea rocker cover will fit

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Cheers ef_falcon_95 :)

Haha just groove the b**ch and then sell it as a custom engraved cover. :P

Here's mine, 3 inch pipe with silicon elbow and joiners.

And here's my Paceys before the paint burnt off.

I have played around with my intake and tried to make it fit, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and cut the part that goes from the elbow down to the airbox, as it's too long and makes it rub on top bolt that holds the stock air intake onto the intake manifold. I also have a BA intake but the rubber seal bit on it was perished and tore off, I dunno whether I can rig it up but I might give it a try to see how it goes.

I've still got the s**t stock snorkel, have to fix that up. I was looking at doing like Autospeed did with the cold air intake but I don't have a holesaw big enough to cut through the plastic. I'll check out your build thread again.

I'll check that oil out, I didn't see it at supercheap so maybe they don't have it. I'll check it out next time I am in there buying a 10 inch cannon for the Falc.

Have a good one!

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I'm bored as hell tonight and will be tomorrow as well as I am stuck at home (fuk lyf is 2 hard) so I will half-shaft my throttle body. That sounded gay. I would take photos but there's no point really as the technical thread already has heaps of photos. I'll let yas know how it goes.

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ok, today I took my throttle body apart and started grinding it. The aluminium is soft as anything, I had to be careful not to take too much off. I didn't go too crazy at the front but took that ridge off at the back of it. I also halfshafted the shaft and polished it, and polished the butterfly. I just used 320 sandpaper and cut and polish, then washed the polish off. Time to completely clean the throttle body, regrease the bearings and put it back together. I wish there was an easy way to polish the inside of the plenum, it is some of the roughest casting I've ever seen, looks like the surface of mars or something :shock:

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Chucked my throttle body back on, I will take a photo of that nice shiny butterfly before I seal it up with the air intake again. I had a look at putting that BA intake on but the mouth of it is too wide for my silicone pipe to fit on. I'll just have to fix up my 3 inch chrome and silicone intake to stop it rubbing on that bolt.

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 am 
Tyre Shredder

Here's my nice throttlebody...I definitely recommend this mod if you are bored and have a few spare hours. I am tossing up whether to polish the aluminum body of it along with the thermostat cover, or to paint them both the same blue as my tappet cover, as I'm going for a blue and chrome theme. I wanna fabricate some sort of thin steel cover for the radiator tank, polish it to a shine and paint in the blue the Ford logo over it, but I've just been too lazy.

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Falc is in limp home mode, I'm in p****d off mode. I dunno why it's like that, the only thing I can think of is that the idle controller gasket I made is too thin. I made a thicker one and put it on but it's still in LHM. I took the battery positive off and will leave it for an hour and hopefully it will work. Any ideas? Broken wire to the sensors? I don't have my multimeter with me as I am at my mums place but I can get home and fix it...I hope.

I also cleaned out the idle controller gasket too, so hopefulyl that was just full of s**t. It's idling at 1000 and then after a drive anywhere from 1250-1500, and won't go into top gear. f**k.

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I ripped off the 2 TPS on our old EA so I'll patch up one of them onto my car, it should work.

Oh yeah, just a little tidbit for you guys that were interested - while in normal mode I get about 10L/100km, and sometimes it's as low as 8.6 or as high as 12.3 depending on how much stick I give it, and while I did about 50km either way down the highway in LHM I got 12.6L/100km. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

EA TPS sort of worked but since it's always slightly wound around, it always thinks I am pushing the throttle so it is reluctant to go into top gear and always stalls because it thinks it doesn't need the ISC.

I got some fresh RUBBAH on the front of the falc and put my old fronts on the back, I just got the ol' 99 dollars Sime 205's as they lasted for 30 000kms, a lot of which was on dirt.

I took my car for a run to the next town over with my mates and when for a cruise, no one was out and about which was disappointing, and we headed home when the undercover cop cars came out.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I did the dash diagnostic thing the other day, it's pretty cool to see what your coolant temp is, how much fuel you've got left, revs in digital readout etc. My car can also do the thing to adjust the speedo by half a percent - I wasn't aware this was doable on stock Falcons?

Edit: apparently that means it is either an ex-police car or at least has a police dash in it - cool, I guess?

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Oh yeah, after I got fresh rubber on the falc I got them to swap the front and back wheels, it seemed to have mostly fixed that braking shudder, so I thought it was a bent wheel, but it's back, nowhere near as severe as last time though. :x

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next