Fordmods Logo

Budget Build XF Ute The Interior! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Budget Build XF Ute The Interior!
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XF ute

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone, I decided to post a new topic on the interior for my budget build xf ute.
So as explained i`m fitting a complete ef falcon interior to my xf ute.

here we go.firstly i did some research on this website and others and found ashcook`s forum on his xf a big help.(thanks mate!).

My biggest problem was to still have a demister.This alone took the most time and must have fitted and removed the dash about 20 times!
Basically i cut the front of the xf dash off and screwed to the underside of the ef dash.also reused the original xf demister moulds.appearance is not real good but hey,its a budget.will look much better when they painted the same colour as the dash pad.

The other mods:-

ef heater box (bolt straight in)
modified pedal box ( cut the front off the xf and welded ef front back on to support the dash in the original location)
ef steering coloum ( remove inner steering sleeve and fitted xf sleeve staight in!.couldn`t believe it,made my eyes water!)
ef handbrake and tunnel / console support. ( unpicked from doner car and welded into place.note:- floor pans are the same )
relocated front outer seats mounting holes ( 20mm )
ef seat belts ( had to modify were retractor fits as the ef retractor is longer)
relocated seat belt pick-up point from seat bolt to side sill as per ef.

Attachment:
handbrake.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_3961.jpg

So i got this far then found out the doors would not close.i think i`ve gone around this the hard way but keeps it in the theme of full ef.
as you can tell i have cut out the inner door skin and welded in ef falcon skins.by doing this i can used modified ef door trims and all ef handles etc.
will be using all ef wiring and central locking.

Here are some more photo`s.

Attachment:
IMG_3959.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_3962.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3958.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Budget Build XF Ute The Interior!
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Looks excellent.
I wish people off this site would stop giving me ideas for my ute................ :D

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe us ute owners will slowly take over the site from the e series boys on our way to world domination!
Im very interested in seeing how the E series trims fit the XF doors. Making me start to think seeing as though in a weeks time there will be a NC Fairy Ghia here with an immaculate interior that would most likely go begging otherwise....................................................

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ashcook, i had the same problem with the winders as you would expect.i have put a lot of hours in these doors and still have sort out the ef regulator to suit the xf glass.but in the end i will have matching door trims.

halfway through doing the doors, i thought about buying 2 new ones and running power windows and cut the front-top area and move it in to clear the dash.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

What did you mean by cut the front top area? Do you mean it was too close after you welded it in or it does not line up before hand?

i was talking about modifiying the xf doors and making door trims to match.i hope you know what i mean,anyway i`m sort of happy going ef skins as you have a place for door speakers!

i will throw a modified door trim on tommorrow and post a picture.it will give you some idea on how it will look.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Really lookin forward to seeing this. How much and where did the EF door trims need to be modified to fit?

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hi guys,sorry its taken a while to post some pic`s.looks like the website went offline for a while.anyway here are some pictures of the door trims on the ute and the amount of mods needed.please note these are pretty ruff cuts and mods however better to practice on a stocker trim than a good one.let me know what u think!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Looking at that it looks like the NC trims I have here will be a pretty close fit up arpund the mirror if I chose to take that path.
Location of the speaker in relation to the front window rail now appears to be an issue................

Looks like a nice job you did mate.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Nice work mate. It definitely looks a billion times better then the stock trims.

Is that another red XF ute in the background?

yeah,another xf.... just sold it actually.stole a couple of bits of it for mine first!.sold it to a young guy, already blown the diiff.lucky i gave him a spare.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

[quote="EVL098"]Looking at that it looks like the NC trims I have here will be a pretty close fit up arpund the mirror if I chose to take that path.
Location of the speaker in relation to the front window rail now appears to be an issue................

mate you got me worried. i didn`t even check that speaker clearance.since i didn`t want to lose any sleep,went out to the garage and checked it.have around 20mm.i can sleep well now.

also what is the diffence in the nc trim around the mirror?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The NC trim is actually flat up the front under the Mirrors where the EF EL one is sloped upwards.
What decent 6" speakers will fit in a gap of 20mm depth? Im pretty sure my fusions are much deeper then that.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i meant to say with the stock speaker in the door plus 20mm.can u post a photo of the nc trim?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its a dodgy as pic but it shows what Im saying. See that the mirror cover goes over the trim and its flat at the top of the trim?
Would fit the door better but then will not fit or work with the EF dash.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

pepeguts wrote:
note these are pretty ruff cuts and mods however better to practice on a stocker trim than a good one.let me know what u think!
You could have a go heating the vinyl below where the mirrors go - use a hot air gun. The vinyl should peel back and you might be able to mod the door cards to suit. I've used this method in making a passenger airbag recess in a non PAB dash, it works very well. Use a wet rag or chux to set the vinyl - watch your hands also, as you'll be surprised how hot you can get the vinyl, but take care not to scald or melt it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

[quote="EVL098"]Its a dodgy as pic but it shows what Im saying. See that the mirror cover goes over the trim and its flat at the top of the trim?
Would fit the door better but then will not fit or work with the EF dash.

thanks for the picture.your right,its a dodgy.now i know what u mean.yeah i don`t think it will match up against the ef dash.i`m going to try snap094 trick of heating the vinyl and pulling it back then modding the card.see how i go!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next