Fordmods Logo

Building upon EL mont. Now has T5/short shifter & new engine 

Page 10 of 13 [ 195 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post subject: Re: Building upon my EL Fairmont... new dash going in.,
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Well done Frankieh!!!

Don't you love that sense of achievement when it all works like it should?

Cheers
BenJ

Yup... love the feeling...

I'll tell you one thing.. changing the colour of LCD displays is much much harder than in the EA-ED clusters.... I spent hours unsoldering the LCD display in the climate control to remove the orange backplate...

was worth it though... looks great blue..

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

frankieh wrote:
Sorted the steering out too... had the top uni joint upside down... was slightly bigger at the wrong end.. not that easy to notice but a pain to sort out... all good now too...
Image heheheheeh... :lol: ...
While the dash was apart, I've converted most of the LCD displays and general lights to blue LED's... the trip computer came out perfectly, but the climate control LED's were just not bright enough... I've ordered a small LED panel with like 36 LED's on it that will go in there and take over lighting duties..... will see how that comes out. I'll take some photos of the dash LED's when I get a moment.. it looks cool...
ImageYeahp. I found the same. My climate control has two extra light attachments in the back (10mm drill and T10 plugs with 4 prong LED's in them) and it's still a bit "iffy", so I put bright white 4 LED in one of the three sockets - sweet, kind of. Looks like the original "ALIEN" target device at dusk with the climate control set to "off..."... ...
nice to know all my wiring is in as new condition now... This coming weekend I hope to install that really cool 5km range car alarm with the LCD display on the remote and also my bluetooth rear vision mirror.
Image And in the coming weekend you'll be producing the complete step by step on how to install said alarm?... You know we want one... You know there will be people asking you about this... You know I'm a persistent pain in the back... ...

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not funny about the steering box... they guy that had the car before me got it the wrong way around.. god knows how much fiddling he had to do to stop it hitting.... all I did is undo the top two bolts and dropped the column and it was knocking from then on... was looking at the schematic in my gregories when I noticed that the ends looked abit different.. decided to see if the real one had the same diff and it did.. then noticed it was in backwards.. swapped it over and all was good... like I said.. amazing that he managed to stop it knocking when it was in backwards as there much less room to work with that way.

As for the alarm... 95 percent of it is dead normal alarm fitting..... only bit I'm not currently sure of is if I can find negative triggers for the CDL up and down or if I need to fit a second door motor..

I'll write it up when it's done.

cheers

Frank

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Sorry matey - Didn't mean to be rude when having a laugh at the uni joint upside down... I've had to drop that bit quite a number of times and have forgotten to do it up properly once... Drove for a few thousand K's and then went "OMG" and pulled over and dove into the back of the car for a 10mm spanner whilst the missus was asking "WTF".

With parts like that I've learnt to loosen, move and replace. IE - Not remove entirely.

Am still working on the "loosen, move, replace and re-tighten."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

no sweat dude.. I wasnt upset.. :-)

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Some pickies of the new dash.

Sorry about fingy.. was trying to make it darker so you could see the backlighting properly but none of it worked and the photos don't do it justice...

As you can see, the climate control is blue, but it's only bright in the center... the 36led panel will fix that.. still have to do the cluster LCD display.. but like I said, it's really hard to get a good photo of the LEDS with my camera and experiance.. (cheap and none respectively)... :-)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I should add that I have yet to install the rather significant 5.1 surround alpine DVD system yet.. but I'll get there... alarm first. :-)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Looking good Frankieh, the Lane instrument cluster looks awesome in place of the EL one, nice work!!

I know what you mean about those LED's they are very tricky to take photos off, the flash cancel's out the LED's all together and then using no flash just barely picks up anything. I found using the camera on my phone was way easier :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks mate... I like it... will like it more when it's a manual and I have a second gear... (my auto is stuffed)

As for the photos... it's infuriating cos it looks really good.. just not in the photos... if I can slow the shutter speed right down... have to give that a shot... or perhaps trying taking a video...

On another subject, I've been thinking about thecentral locking hookup for the alarm and I don't think it will be an issue.... there are two wires, yelloy/black and red/yellow and they are negative triggers for the CDL... I should be able to use the after market alarm to trigger those.... the alarm has settings for electric and pnumatic.. the main difference being timing of the pulse.. (pnumatic is slower like the electric falcon ones) so if it doesn't work using one of those, I'll just use a couple of relays and a capacitor on the trigger line. .(capacitor stores come current and keeps the relay triggered longer resulting in a longer negative pulse to the CDL system from the alarm.. I don't think it will need that though... will know after this weekend I guess..

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I think I've figured out the cause of my sloppy steering.. which is just as well because I'm running out of things to replace.

I did the ball joint test as suggested (put it up on stands and use crowbar to move wheels around to see if there is slop or rattle..) came out good... but I'm replacing them anyway just because I've already bought new ones.. (and the tie ends are new too so the ball joints might as well be as well.)

Anyway, I decided to see if the steering rack was tightly bolted in.. and while the bolts where in and tight.. there was a tiny bit of slack in the rack and it could move a tiny bit.... so I pulled out the drivers side engine mount bolt and stuck my half inch socket (14mm) and tightened it as much as possible.. got another turn out of it but took a lot of force... it doesn't move now... did the other side and got 1.5 turns.. so it doesn't move at all now.

Then I took it for a test drive and it was better.. much better, but still there a tiny bit.. then I noticed that there was bearing slack in the upper steering shaft.. you can move the wheel physically left and right a couple of mm without turning it... and I think that will account for the rest of the clatter... so it's looking now that I've solved it finally... fingers crossed.. will know for sure when I replace the bearing.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Some pickies of the new dash.

. still have to do the cluster LCD display.. but like I said, it's really hard to get a good photo of the LEDS with my camera and experiance.. (cheap and none respectively)... :-)

You will struggle with the LCD on a fairlane cluster with blue LED's. The door mimic section needs red or orange if you want to see them..
A tip I found with the cluster is Kmart sell some A4 binder seperators made from thin plastic, they are in a pack of 20 or so and of varying colors. I cutout a section using the two dial faces of the cluster as a template and used that as the filter to get the required effect. You may be able to use that tip to sort the LCD.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thankyou mr Watson... I shall give that a shot... I have a second plate with 36 LEDs on it that I migth be able to fit behind it too.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

YES!!!!

The clatter I've been chasing for more than 8 months in the steering is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the "not tight enough" steering rack bolts.... they seemd tight with a spanner on them... but when I put my 1/2 inch drive on it and put my back into it.. I got another turn out of them... and today all way to work there was no clatter....... I'm stoked..!!!!! you have no idea how annoying it was to not be able to find and fix it... I bought new ball joints for nothing as the old ones are still good.. but that's ok.. I'm going to take the car back over the pits with the new engine and manual gearbox in it.. so new ball joints will look good in there for the inspection. Now I can move onto the Alarm and stuff.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
YES!!!!
Now I can move onto the Alarm and stuff.

Arent we forgetting the other important bit..... :cry:

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

LOL.... I figured someone would mention that...

The charger will go in the same time the new engine does, or immediately afterwards... all the work for that is done except for pipe work to and from the throttle body and airbox...

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 13  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next