Building upon EL mont. Now has T5/short shifter & new engine 

Page 12 of 13 [ 195 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post subject: Re: Building upon EL mont. Now has T5/short shifter & new engine
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The vibration is to be expected, when compared to a stock shifter.

Putting in some rubber will have little effect as the bolts are still in permanent contact with both components, unlike the factory shifter where even the bolts are isolated by rubber.

Still, give it a go, as I will be very happy to be proved wrong. Then I can have a go with my shifter.

I ended up removing the stop bolts as there was always a vibration.

I also found my box feels more notchy with the billet shifter installed but I think that is to do with the shorter throw and the reduced leverage effect etc.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I was wondering about the stop bolts myself.. are they really needed, I assume the box itself has stops to stop you pushing too hard? I backed them off a fair bit, but now I wish I'd removed them too.

I did notice it was a bit notchy when I first took it for a hoon.. I'm liking the shorter though though so maybe it'll change smoother once i swap from vmx80 + G70 to transmax z.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mr BenJ...

With regards to the rubber on the shifter arm.. do it.. it works.

What I did was went to bunnings and picked up some high density round plasticy (almost like nolathane) things that go on the bottom of furniture to stop them scratching the floor. drilled holes in four of them.. two directly under the head of the heads of the bolts, and two to go between the two bits of the gear lever..

Was a b**ch to get the bolts started as there is not alot of extra thread on the bolts, but I did it, cranked them up and now it isn't any noisier than it was with the factory one.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Have you had a go at getting the alarm to trigger the BEM to control the doors and interior light rather than using the diode workaround? I want to add an alarm and do away with the factory remotes but I, like most people, really like the interior light control of the BEM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, when you lock the car, the doors close but the interior light stays on (without triggering the alarm because of the diode) until the BEM times out, then it just fades off.
What happens when you disarm the alarm? Does the light come on when the doors unlock?

Would it be better to forget smartlock all together and just get an alarm that has interior light control?

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've not noticed if the interior light comes on when you unlock via alarm or not.. will check tonight I guess. I never notice because I just unlock then open the door.. lights are always on when the door is open so never paid attention.

Presumably the master door locks have sense positions so the back doors locks will operate when someone uses a key on the front door.. so it's likely the BEM will treat the after-market remote door trigger as if someone unlocked the door via key and trigger the lights anyway.

The lights off set-up of my alarm is perfect because you don't have to wait till the light goes off before you can arm the alarm without triggering it immediately... so you get the benefit of the light out delay without the problem of it triggering the door input of the alarm.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was just having a look at the wiring diagram for the door locks and BCM and the simplest thing just showed itself. You could use an output from the new alarm to momentarily close the contacts fo the door lock/unlock button on the dash.
I dont know if power gets cut to this button after a period of time (will check it later) but if not, it's the perfect trigger to maintain full door monitoring (horn beeping & door lock cycling) as well as interior light control.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The door CDL triggers are easy.. just negative out from the alarm up and down.. that was never a problem, the bit that required the diodes was finding a door trigger that picked up all the doors and wasn't triggered later by the BCM. I just used the diodes to stop the BCM feeding a negative back in after time out and causing the alarm to go off. (which is what was happening before I put the diodes in.)

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I'm not concerned about the door locks themselves, that's the easy bit, I'm interested in keeping the interior light working like factory. Instant on when unlock and instant off when lock.
I thought since the dash mounted lock/unlock button was connected to the BEM on a different pin to the CDL motors that it might trigger it differently.
I tested it last night and the dashboard lock/unlock button continues to work after the remote has been used to lock the doors, but I didnt pay full attention to whether the interior light came on when they unlocked. I'm pretty sure it didnt though, so that ruins that idea.
I might have to get a spare BEM and have a play as well to see if I can find the internal trigger from the RF circuit.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

hey mate nice car, just wondering where you got the short shifter from and how much they are, does it make alot of difference? thanks

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
Yeah I'm not concerned about the door locks themselves, that's the easy bit, I'm interested in keeping the interior light working like factory. Instant on when unlock and instant off when lock.
I thought since the dash mounted lock/unlock button was connected to the BEM on a different pin to the CDL motors that it might trigger it differently.
I tested it last night and the dashboard lock/unlock button continues to work after the remote has been used to lock the doors, but I didnt pay full attention to whether the interior light came on when they unlocked. I'm pretty sure it didnt though, so that ruins that idea.
I might have to get a spare BEM and have a play as well to see if I can find the internal trigger from the RF circuit.

What I have done is to get another Ford fob and train it up. Then place it in a jiffy box along with three relays (open, close and boot) wired across the buttons, however this was for a BF with seperate lock and unlock buttons. Not sure if this helps in your case.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twase wrote:
MAD wrote:

What I have done is to get another Ford fob and train it up. Then place it in a jiffy box along with three relays (open, close and boot) wired across the buttons, however this was for a BF with seperate lock and unlock buttons. Not sure if this helps in your case.

I had thought of that but since the smartlock fob has only the one button for lock and unlock, there's a possibility the system could get out of sync.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Did a little more to the car...

Some pics.. perhaps you'll spot the difference ?

Sorry, car is covered in s**t and dirt... but still, it looks good I think. :-)

Currently getting the new ball joints pressed into my spare arms and then going to put the lot with some new shockies and my adjustable camber kit and then take the lot over the pits again to get it in the books as a manual. Once that is done, I can get back to what I really want to be doing.. making the supercharger go...

I should add that I have the BA XR rear skirt and my EL XR/BA GT bar hybrid in various stages of completion too.
This is an old photo of the front bar.. the glasswork is now all done, all it needs is some final sanding and painting and it goes on the car as well. I've managed to contour the whole thing so it sits perfectly everywhere.

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

xr sideskirts with ghia badges, looks nice and suits the car

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yup.. you have it.

The badges were on the front guards originally, but I prefer this look myself.

They stand out more on the skirts than it appears in the photos..

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

yeah i've never seen it before but it looks good, just need a front too

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 13  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next