Casey's Falmont Build Thread - warning: long story 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Casey's Falmont Build Thread - warning: long story
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

Well here goes:

Thanks to my missus for buying a ford falcon in early November last year, after a few years of being ford-less we now have a blue oval in the family again. I went over to the dark side for a while and bought an isuzu mu (think SWB, 4 seater jackeroo. like a frontera.) and I still like the mu as It is a 4wd and diesel.

Anyway the falcon was sold to us by the inlaws and was deemed by a mechanic to be in perfect health and had had *everything* serviced. this mechanic will remain nameless.

So I picked it up from brisvegas and drove it 500km back to bundy. I was quite happy with the way the car was running but noticed a slight missfire and stumble occasionally. Also after a week or so I noticed the automatic box wasn't changing down gears when i selected them.... ecu gave me no error codes. so after driving around town for 3 weeks I had to drop the missus and kids off at Brisbane airport, getting there was fine but on the way back 100km from home the gearbox got slippy then no drive. turns out the loser mechanic they used had never serviced the gearbox nor checked the fluid. It was black, burnt, stinky and sludgey and full of clutch material and lots of lovely metal shavings on the magnet.

so an overnight stay in maryborough a secondhand gearbox and off we went, this time the missfire was getting worse. I was advised by the mechanic who did the gearbox swap that it was an intake manifold leak, however i couldn't track it down when I got home and then a few days later I had to go back to brisbane airport to pick up the missus. Then.... 150km southbound the engine stopped dead. called racq and towed to their workshop. A few hours later a coil, cap, and button and me declining the mechanic/swapjockey to connect his scantool to the ecu for $88, I worked out the auxiliary shaft had it's gears stripped by an aftermarket homebrand distributor assembly.

this was the result:

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Post subject: Re: Casey's Falmont Build Thread - warning: long story
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

also with the rocker cover off it was clear to me that the engine had either been going without scheduled oil changes or had been fed on homebrand oil. according to receipts from ford from 2007-2009, every time it went in for a service it had an "engine oil flush".

Rocker cover

Rocker gear

So, upon the advice of some helpful people here, I decided I would attempt to perform an engine swap.
checking out the local wreckers I scored this for a tidy $500.

An EL/AU Hybrid engine with a tickford head on it..... out of a fairlane with 160,000km on it, i couldn't pass that up for such a low price and considering the other joint in town wanted the same money for a stock engine I can justify it.

So I got busy and changed the plugs, leads, dizzy cap and button, waterpump, put on a good 110 amp alternator i had here, and renewed that horrible 4-5 inch piece of rubber heater bypass hose under the intake. I just gave it a good wipe down and then it was ready for the weekend when I was able to hire an engine crane:

Then out with the dead engine:

Empty bay:

Unbolt the gearbox:

Then bring in the ticky to be bolted up to the box:

Ticky and box mated:

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Then Back in it goes:

It's in!!!

And it lives!!!!!! the feeling of pride and satisfaction I had that day is nearly indescribable, I am sure that others on here can attest to that when they turn the key and it starts.

Now i have to sort out an engine mount and fix a few things up for a roadworthy and comfort.

so then I got thinking about other things I could do

I decided a trip computer would be nice:

So I followed the technical document and installed it, but not before modifying the LCD screen:

It was pretty easy to modify and install, I previously had a blue clock from a futura wagon I used to own so I remembered how easy they are to modify.

Then a purple led i had here for the shifter

I know it looks blue but my phone's camera seems to filter UV light so you can't tell from the photo that it's purple.

Then an LED Interior light:

It used to be a 240v household led until a capacitor exploded inside it so I ripped it apart and installed it. It really lights up the interior better than any festoon led i have had:

That is all I have done to the interior so far, I am going to do the rest of the dash and cluster in purple, with white courtesy lights.

This is how the car looks outside at the moment:

For now it is totally stock outside, even the black steel rims and only 2 hubcaps on one side and LOTS of gravel rash, that's how the mother in law could tell she was close enough to the gutter and she used the same method on the front and rear bar too...

Last edited by caseyaberhart on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Picked up something really awesome for $200 today:

The interior is great, carpet is clean, seats are clean and unbroken. the base of the drivers seat in our falcon has come away from the mounts (common problem).

anyway today was spent stripping the interior out for the automatic climate control, green BEM (YAY!!), adjustable front seatbelts, front and rear seats, mid series instrument cluster, carpet, and most of the dash.

Stripped:

pretty much all of the interior will be going into the falcon.

here's the goodies so far:

Spare cylinder head, looks to be in good nick:

Tail lights - one is a gli one so i will be visiting the wreckers for the matching fairmont one:

Rubbers and a few plastics:

Cluster, BEM and plastic:

more interior bits:

Air Shocks??? this thing has a tow bar that i will be taking too, I wonder if these are any good and if they're worth fitting?

Doorcard, nice sony headunit and airbag:

Seats:

Adjustable seatbelts:

In a few days I will be fitting the carpet, seatbelts, seats, parcel shelf carpet and sony speakers, and the instrument cluster. Tomorrow will be spent getting the boot off, the 3/4 full tank of stale fuel out (for the lawnmower??) front bar and bonnet, tailshaft, maybe the diff if it's an lsd??, wheels, engine accessories and lights. ultimately I want to spray the boot, bonnet, front and rear bars for our car and then fit them to it. but at the moment the goal is to strip it ASAP and sell the shell off to the scrappies.

more to come soon guys!

Last edited by caseyaberhart on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

So this afternoon the missus got the seats and seatbelts out while I stripped more of the fairmont, I got the front bar and monnet catch, trans cooler (factory unit? has ford hoseclamps with caps on the screws) that'll be good for the trans in the falcmont, it makes sense now that that was there along with the airshocks and towbar. Also have the near new radiator, coolant recovery tank with level switch, good rad hoses and fuel hose (someone used fuel hose for the recover tank.....wtf.... :roll: ) got the fuel pump out aswell.

the good fairmont carpet went into the falcmont and the adjustable seatbelts, seats will go in tomorrow. the seatbelts we're a bit of a pain as the holes are there in the body but not threaded, when i looked back at the fairmont the center hole is not threaded where the standard seatbelts go so i just used the bolts to cut a thread and it is now secure. I swung off it a few times and used my feet on the car body and pulled on it to make suse it was secure. I assume ford must use an airtool (impact wrench or air ratchet?) when they install these things at the factory but i had to do it by hand, aka slow and painful.

this 'project' is starting to move along now, tomorrow i will be taking the doorcards and handles, window regulators, actuators, boot lid and more engine parts, after the fairmont seats are fully transplanted, and the interior is back in. I might swap out the fairmont ecu, green bem and instrument cluster and do the smartlock learning procedure while I put it back together. Then I don't have to pull it apart again later. i will swap the eeprom in the cluster so I can retain my odometer reading.

So here's the grubby old seats and carpet:

it doesn't really need to be said but the car smelt like sweaty a**, and you can tell from the pictures exactly why. fresh mould still growing on a 6 month old stain.... fkn sick.

here's the freshened up interior:

The monty seats are in, the missus put covers on them to protect them from me and the 2 tin lids.

but yeah, it's starting to look good

Last edited by caseyaberhart on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

and one more reserved

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Lookin good there man, Well done!

Nice neat EL too, and an awesome score on the engine!

Is there much of a performance difference you notice?

Also I noticed in your sig you say you want/need a 300kpa fuel reg? Did the engine not come with one?

Once again, sweet job, and don't let the mods stop!

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Yeah I noticed a difference in performance, there is better response and more power on tap, I sometimes lose traction accidentally when I drive it, I forget its not a diesel sometimes. I did smoke it on purpose the other day with a mate in the car and for a holden man he was pretty impressed, only one wheel though.....

It came with a 300kpa regulator but the wreckers damaged it.

thanks for the encouragement, I will be getting on fleabay and getting some wedge led's soon....

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

bah, fkn rain.
good thing the missus brought in all the interior and I moved the electronics under cover

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Looking nice have read your other thread when you where doing your engine conversion

i like the way you got the LED's to shine though nicely on the shifter and the trip computer

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Looking nice have read your other thread when you where doing your engine conversion

i like the way you got the LED's to shine though nicely on the shifter and the trip computer

On the clock and trip lcd screens I used lcd diffuser material from computer and television lcd screens cut to size. I dont know if you can buy the stuff but you get it by disassembling screens (I had a homemade projector project). It is great stuff and works way better than paper to spread the light evenly.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Spewin about the Reg, it's almost notorious on how they get broken, I found 2 engines in town here, both had stuffed regs!

There are a couple of kits on eBay, but they would take a little creativity to make work with the way the factory reg bolts to the rail..

I had a chance to buy a hybrid engine a long time back, I really wish I did just pay the $200!!! (kicks self in face)

It might be too much to figure out postage from here to you, but I have an EL XR8 wing, the one with the larger centre leg, might be able to work out a price if you want..

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Spewin about the Reg, it's almost notorious on how they get broken, I found 2 engines in town here, both had stuffed regs!

There are a couple of kits on eBay, but they would take a little creativity to make work with the way the factory reg bolts to the rail..

I had a chance to buy a hybrid engine a long time back, I really wish I did just pay the $200!!! (kicks self in face)

It might be too much to figure out postage from here to you, but I have an EL XR8 wing, the one with the larger centre leg, might be able to work out a price if you want..

I have seen the kits on eBay, mostly for turbo applications as they're rising rate regs. like you said though, it could be done.

might be interested in he wing, what color is it?
give me a few weeks as I have to sell off this fairmont parts car after it is stripped and I will put some stuff in the for sale subforum or eBay.

I like what you have done with your Fairlane, looks nice and the newer engine would have been a big improvement. you have spent a lot of time on your car man!

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

I added more pics, what a pain those back seats were, and removing the power windows and door locks is a royal pain in the a$$, I ended up cheating and using a grinder...hehe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]