Fordmods Logo

David's Turbo EL Sapphire 

Page 18 of 20 [ 300 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post subject: Re: David's Turbo EL Sapphire
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Ohhh that's alright then, still costly but not as bad as what it would cost with a tow truck.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok so got the intercooler pipes back from the welder. He did great work, smooth and clean !

Added an adapter to the pipe to the TB for the BOV. Connected it with a bit of radiator hose.

Connected up the BOV to the bottom of the BBM for pressure.

Another shot and the catch can connected up.

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Yeah it's cheaper than getting a tow truck to bring it back.. At a guess I would think it would cost around the 4-500 mark or more atleast to get it towed back. I'd rather spend the extra 110 bucks on a trailer cause its cheap insurance. And he can tune cold start as the motor is still cold when taken of the trailer.

Nice piping. Don't the vee ports come with a weld pipe and a v band clamp for mounting?

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah you are right, way better to spend your money on a trailer and fuel with a cold start tune.

Cheers, it's come up really well I think. The vee port does have an adapter but the difference in metals meant it couldn't be welded straight on. So got another bit welded on and then adapted them with the hose, still looks fairly clean.

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Last thing to go in... boost gauge.

Picked up the line from the fuel reg for the boost gauge and ran it through the fire wall and through the dash.

Firewall:

With the black mesh gaurd pulled back it runs underneath that.

Inside the car with the top of the dash pulled forward:

Close up:

Handy little hook to pull the hose through.

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Did you pull the dash up? I ran mine through firewall below the dash near the pedal box. Except my guages and boost controller are mounted low out of sight. You've probably run yours up on top of dash where you can see it better..

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah the best way to go about it was remove that plastic cover over the front vents and tweeters then slightly pull the dash forward. Got the gauge under the double din at the moment. However cause I have the older ashtray for the double din it fowls on the gauge (got the wrong size gauge :oops: )

Just leaving it a bit messy for the moment then then will mod the base to fit it in better.

Got to change the colour as well so it blends in with the blue 8-)

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Been on the phone to Errol about this, sounds like its going to come up well with a tune!

Make sure you add it to our Owners Gallery!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cannot wait to have it finished Jason. Will send over info when it's all done, would love to have it up on the gallery 8-)

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Going to bleed the front brakes tomorrow then take it for a slow run round the block to see how it all goes. Expecting it to all go smoothly but just have to make sure.

Build Thread:

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Attempted to take the car for a little run and wash tonight, didn't work out too well. Got about 2 minutes away from home and it stalled twice at a set of lights. So had to sit there with it revving and try and take it back home. Eventually got it home with smoke coming out the bonnet, shat bricks for a second...

It was mostly the paint from the dump pipe but there was a small amount of smoke from the oil feed line on top of the turbo. The gasket on there was wet so we checked the bolts and sure enough they were slightly lose. All in all it isn't terrible but it means we can't drive it to the tuners on Friday.

The only thing I could think of why it shat itself this time was the difference in vac in the BBM ? Now that it is all to the atmosphere with the catch can, hmmm...

Build Thread:

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Maybe your idle speed controller is sticky... Try cleaning it out with carby cleaner or brake cleaner if that fails then try swapping it out with a spare from the wreckers. Mine used to stall all the time and I figured the ISC was buggered and replaced and ran fine but also I found it developed a stalling problem again and I think it was a combination if things, firstly whenever I've had my engine out and battery disconnected for a while I found my car used to stall very easily. After about 500km of driving it would stop. But my problem was probably caused by a few different things like my old tps which I modified to suit the Microtech which in turn didn't let the engine idle up when a/c was switched on. But have since fixed it. I managed to drive mine around with stalling problems for ages. Just gotta be quick with the pedals and left foot brake while holding the throttle partially open. You should still be able to drive it to the tuners. It should still drive perfectly fine with your standard ecu off boost..

There would be hardly any difference in vaccum either that shouldn't matter. They run map sensors so it would adjust to suit anyway.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Was it tuned with the catch can?

Are the now unused ports at the throttle body and where the PCV normally goes on the manifold both blocked off?

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
Maybe your idle speed controller is sticky... Try cleaning it out with carby cleaner or brake cleaner if that fails then try swapping it out with a spare from the wreckers. Mine used to stall all the time and I figured the ISC was buggered and replaced and ran fine but also I found it developed a stalling problem again and I think it was a combination if things, firstly whenever I've had my engine out and battery disconnected for a while I found my car used to stall very easily. After about 500km of driving it would stop. But my problem was probably caused by a few different things like my old tps which I modified to suit the Microtech which in turn didn't let the engine idle up when a/c was switched on. But have since fixed it. I managed to drive mine around with stalling problems for ages. Just gotta be quick with the pedals and left foot brake while holding the throttle partially open. You should still be able to drive it to the tuners. It should still drive perfectly fine with your standard ecu off boost..

There would be hardly any difference in vaccum either that shouldn't matter. They run map sensors so it would adjust to suit anyway.

Ah yeah, I remember playing around with the idle speed ages back. As much as I would like to drive it down there I'm not going to take the risk, plus its going to be in the high 30's tomorrow so don't feel like heating the car right up.
With your ECU were you basically resetting it when you took the battery lead off ? Cause I was talking to my old man and he said that the ECU had progressive learning and as you drove the car it would adjust certain settings.

Also I think you are right about the vacum. Only reason why I thought of it was because last time I removed the pcv it shat itself :?

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:

The map sensor is used to determine how much fuel the engine needs (based on how much air it is pumping). A vacuum leak will wreak havoc on your EMS!

Sort by  
 Page 18 of 20  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next