dsyfer's EF - '666' Build 

Page 4 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Door trims
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:43 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Started playing with one of the spare door trims today. Bought some marine upholstery vinyl, I couldn't justify buying a whole hide of white leather just to do the door trims, the seats will be in black leather.

Fairmont door trim

My first attempt at automotive trimming, got the stitching down pat, but need to get some proper thread, just playing with standard sewing cotton for this attempt. Only one side has been sewn at this stage, as I think I need to modify the pattern slightly to make sure the seam lines up along the side of the armreat. then I can pull it taught and glue the overhang in the back of the armrest.

Sitting in place to see what it will look like, you have to imagine it all sewn and no creases, also imagine that there is some black carpet on the map pocket front.

I think it will look good once finished.

personally i feel theres a bit to much white around the armrest area try breaking it up a bit. cant think of how you could do that though lol

Post subject: Re: dsyfer's EF - '666' Build
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Seems like a few of us have that steering wheel, are they all from AutoTek or Mick Webb SVO? Only difference is the sticker on them, and more than likely the price lol.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Nice to meet you today mate! Cheers for the little "gift"

I'm thinking I might pop them in my girlfriend's car and use her fake plastic ones for what I wanted to do...

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

As for etching FORD (or whatever you like) onto the metal spears with a laser - Why not just mask up the area you don't want a graffic applied to and hit it with a little sand blaster.........

Just an idea.

Could cut the negative space out of a vinyl, stick it on, and hit it with some sand.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fiend wrote:
As for etching FORD (or whatever you like) onto the metal spears with a laser - Why not just mask up the area you don't want a graffic applied to and hit it with a little sand blaster.........

Just an idea.

Could cut the negative space out of a vinyl, stick it on, and hit it with some sand.

The printmaking techie at work has made up a paste that will etch aluminum, so might give that a go.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Little update for today, hoping for a big update next week, ITB parts should be arriving :D

Just bought a 7" TFT touch screen monitor, that is going to get mounted in the centre console where the stereo head unit is. This will be hooked up to a 12 volt mini ITX computer, that will run all media needs, music, video, TV, Radio, internet etc, but the best bit is it can stay continually plugged in to the EMS6860, so I can have it display real time engine data, or logging anytime, tuning touchups anywhere etc, I also want to get a wide band o2 sensor so I can display A/F data as well.

Hopefully will arrive Monday

Going to hook it up to one of these

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

nice work with the white armrest, wish i could do stuff like that

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
nice work with the white armrest, wish i could do stuff like that

Ta, it is not all that hard IF you take your time and make proper templates etc.

I have changed the design of the door trims a bit, the armrest is now going to be in black leather, to break up the white a bit, also the padded section above the armrest where the door handle is will have black double stitching to mach what will be on the seats.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Loving the interior work mate.

Had always thought about going down the carputer route, will watch this with interest.

I presume this is a purpose built carputer? How long does it take to boot from when you turn the key (assuming it turns on/off automatically once complete)

My main reason I didn't go ahead with the carputer was that most my trips are within 5-10 minutes and it would be pointless waiting 2 minutes for it too fully boot and then another minute to get the music i wanted playing, when my ipod does that within 5 seconds.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thepistonhead wrote:
Loving the interior work mate.

Had always thought about going down the carputer route, will watch this with interest.

I presume this is a purpose built carputer? How long does it take to boot from when you turn the key (assuming it turns on/off automatically once complete)

My main reason I didn't go ahead with the carputer was that most my trips are within 5-10 minutes and it would be pointless waiting 2 minutes for it too fully boot and then another minute to get the music i wanted playing, when my ipod does that within 5 seconds.

The guys playing with these are getting full boot times of around 20 seconds, or from hibernate to music playing in around 15 seconds, a few tweaks in the bios, win.ini, and startup to not turn on certain services and drivers makes a huge difference.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Mate loving your car it's nice. Really tidy. Gives me insperation for mine. Although mines pretty s**t house ha. Anyways its cool watching this. Hope to see a new update soon.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

I dont know how I missed this thread, nice work.

I would like to use your idea with the alloy door spears, great with the tapped holes in the back. They would be child proof lol (my daughter broke one of the plastic ones in my car).

How much is the carpc costing you? I have seen these on the net for like $2000, seem a bit dear.

Great build and will be watching our progress.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hey XR-Lane, the carputer isn't that bad, from US should ba under $350 posted, it is not a high end job, but good enough to run everything I need very competantly, very similar to this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-ITX-Carputer-Intel-D510MO-M2-ATX-2GB-RAM_W0QQitemZ160401193370QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item2558a7f99a

Hoping to get a package from EFI Harware tomorrow or Thursday, with all the throttle bodies and ram tubes :D

Was hoping to have the manifold completly finished and polished over the weekend, but have spent the last 4 days putting up 70 meters of wooden fence.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Hey thats alright, But with some of the options it could get pricey.

Can always upgrade parts yourself at a later date.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Hey thats alright, But with some of the options it could get pricey.

Can always upgrade parts yourself at a later date.

Cheers

That is what I was thinking, appart from the box, all i would need for now is a hard drive, and a FM tuner (bout $100 for a good one), as long as i can plug in the EMS it will serve it's purpose, as when I'm driving I only really have the radio on, I like the engine note over music :D

Plus it gives me another project to work out a i-drive type control, there are a few good tech articles on how to use the guts from a 4 button 4 axis mouse and hook up a rotary dial to control everything, should be fun to drag out the soldering iron, haven't played with electronics in a while.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next