Fordmods Logo

ED xr8 sprint 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ED xr8 sprint
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Sell me the wheels! Lol nah kidding it's best to keep it original. Sunroofs are overrated I had two and sold them off. Good luck with the work

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

roodogg wrote:
i am wondering if this would work, maybe i could get the 8mm machined off, i think the tapered input bearing is the common thing between t5z and the cobra trans which the sprints and ebgt's had, other than that the ratios and strength make them completely different, it appears the cobra's were the only mustang to get the tapered input bearing? as far as i can tell this is why they compare the t5z to the cobra t5. i think the t5z has about 10% more torque rating?
http://cobratransmission.com/index.php? ... d=50023195

I take you're talking about the bearing between the input and mainshafts ?? The non WC Falcon 6cyls had the 15 needle rollers, the WC boxes got the tapered bearing. Obviously the rear of the input shafts are machined differently - from memory, the mainshafts were the same.
roodogg wrote:
also does anyone know if this bearing number is correct for the aussie cars,LM11710? a guy in the states has said this the bearing cup the american one takes.
It is for the 6 cyl WC T5's, I'd imagine the V8's would be same.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr8 sprint

New Zealand

anyone know about the 4 peice felpro sump gasket, it looks like the end seals have the groove on the wrong side, do i need to get a falcon sump set, not just a windsor one?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

roodogg wrote:
anyone know about the 4 peice felpro sump gasket, it looks like the end seals have the groove on the wrong side, do i need to get a falcon sump set, not just a windsor one?

All the same thing, no specific "Falcon" type.

The ends will have one groove, there should be raised middle on one side.

I just got the one piece FRP gasket. I do have a felpro front seal here and it looks fine too.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Last edited by XFWAGON on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

XFWAGON wrote:
roodogg wrote:

The ends will have no grooves, instead there should be raised middles on both sides.

I just got the one piece FRP gasket. I do have a felpro front seal here and it looks fine too.

thanks, i found some pics on the net and it looks like the ribs on the pan press into the flat bit on the gasket, does that sound right?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

roodogg wrote:
XFWAGON wrote:
roodogg wrote:

The ends will have one groove there should be raised middles on one side.

thanks, i found some pics on the net and it looks like the ribs on the pan press into the flat bit on the gasket, does that sound right?

Yep, the groove sits in the bottom of the timing cover and also the rear main seal. Pan will have a groove that then sits in the gasket. If that makes sense

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

yeh, i think it makes sense, it is the opposite of how it looks like it should go. cheers for that

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

some more updated pictures.
gearbox is back in. i ended up up buying an input shaft off a 94 mustang cobra and getting it machined down about 8mm to get the same length, it actually looks like this is what ford did as well.
also replaced 3rd gear, 3rd to 4th slider, 1st to 2nd slider, all bearings and syncro's, and installed a steeda triax short shifter.
new engine mounts,and she is painted and ready to go.
also put a magnaflow muffler on, sounds way better than the flowmaster that was on there.
at the moment it is back in the shed, new front bilsteins, and all new nolathane bushes on their way in at the moment.
really cant wait to get it back on the road permanantly.
here are some before painting pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

and here are some back together, love it without the bonnet, drove a few k's around the neighbourhood like this, the neighbours were all looking at me sideways...gotta love living in the country.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2