ED xr8 sprint 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED xr8 sprint
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr8 sprint

New Zealand

hi guys,
i have an ed sprint, i have owned it for about 4 years after searching for a long time for a tidy original manual one.
it started out as a toy, but after changing jobs it quickly became my daily, doing about 10000k's a year.
it soon started showing it's age. i decided to take it off the road at xmas time with my mrs being off work for the school holidays, seemed the perfect time to fix a few issues, a bit of rust and a bit of a tidy up. also the gearbox(manual) has being grinding into 3rd for a while. i thought it would just be a freshen up with new syncro sliders and a bearing kit, was i wrong or what? the input shaft has a broken tooth, and tremac are no longer supporting the t5, ford in nz and aussie have no input shafts in stock, the sprint and gt have a different a*** with a 23t input instead of 24t like most other ford t5's.
when i ordered the t5 rebuild kit from summit i thought i would get a few other bits as well to give the old girl a bit more street cred... crane cam and springs, was going to either give the heads a tidy up or get some trickflow from the states, but that is not gonna happen this year now.
i now have no idea what im going to do, it is looking like a a5 a*** from astro performance is my best bet, unless of course one of you guys has a 23t input you want to sell.
pics and updates to follow, once i figure out how to get pictures uploaded

Post subject: Re: ED xr8 sprint
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Attachment:
IMG_1105_1.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1103_1_1.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1104_1.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1107_5.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1106_1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

some of the rust work needed, it also needs both bumpers resprayed, and the ugly dent in the back corner done. should look pretty sweet after that

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Nice Sprint mate.

i LOVE these cars. good luck with all the work. Do you have the original wheels?

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

The 24t input shaft was for the Cobra T5's and the T5Z's, it's odd your sprint doesn't have one of these, sounds like they just got the T5 as found on the XR8's.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

are you sure, i only find 23t as cobra spec? fox body and 95 mustang. ford told me the part number for the 23t is the same the gt box?
astro peformance told me they have 23t listed as australian 6 cyl, either way it is what i have, from what i can tell 23t gives you 3.35 first gear.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Gearbox isn't too hard to put back together, been there & done that myself. I'd love a spring, as they are a bit rare, but I will settle for my Eb s1 Xr8 manual that I have lol.

In regards to input shaft, that's a little weird. I should go count the teeth that are left on my spare 6cyl shaft just to see if it's 23t or what?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

PM Jeff (XH5LTWEPN) or call Mal Wood Automotive in Warwick about the gearbox!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

The box I have is an AU t5z, same internals as the 93 up cobra boxes, but built by tremec after they took over BW, 24t 2.95 a***. When I had to rebuild my box, I had to use the 24t input (obviously), which the supplier told me only the t5z/cobra boxes got.

If I can find the guy, ill give you his details for parts.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Jeff/Streetbuilt Racing are the guys who do Astro a*** down under

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
In regards to input shaft, that's a little weird. I should go count the teeth that are left on my spare 6cyl shaft just to see if it's 23t or what?
For the 6cyls, 23t is for EBII onwards, 22t is for XF/EA.
The 6 cyl countergears have same teeth on all, except that front meshing gear with the input shaft.

Roodog, you'll most likely find you'll need to replace the countergear - how's the meshing teeth look ??
If there's a sign the case hardening on the teeth is failing, better to deal with it now.

Might be cost effective to source your gear from the states - there were a few sites posted on here - http://www.thegearbox.org/T5.html for example.
XFWAGON will have a few.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

i am wondering if this would work, maybe i could get the 8mm machined off, i think the tapered input bearing is the common thing between t5z and the cobra trans which the sprints and ebgt's had, other than that the ratios and strength make them completely different, it appears the cobra's were the only mustang to get the tapered input bearing? as far as i can tell this is why they compare the t5z to the cobra t5. i think the t5z has about 10% more torque rating?

http://cobratransmission.com/index.php? ... d=50023195

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

also does anyone know if this bearing number is correct for the aussie cars,LM11710? a guy in the states has said this the bearing cup the american one takes.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

sorry, i have talked to malwood, they cant help...

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

BOSXR8 wrote:
Nice Sprint mate.

i LOVE these cars. good luck with all the work. Do you have the original wheels?

cheers mate, i do have the original wheels, all 5 of them, i will post up some pics when i can find them. it also has a factory sunroof, i probly would rather it didnt though, it rattles like a mongrel.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next