Fordmods Logo

EDXR6POLY's Build thread now turbo!!! with pics!!! 

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: VCT HEAD ON A ED ENGINE WITH WADE CAM??? will it work
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ok well ive set the ECU timing via diagnostic mode

and it seems like its running loud ( sounds like its pinging ) on the exhaust side and when it stops its like its hitting valves? timing chain was reset, cam timing looks to be the same as the original ed cam, and the dizzy is set in the right spot and TDC was correct on the harmonic balancer when i had the head off but could it be the vernier cam adjustment be out by a few degrees as its verry sluggish below 4000rpm but fine after that?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

do you mean it sounds tinny at idle? almost like an exhaust leak?
if thats the case? advance the timing a bit more..
or is it under load it makes this noise??

just a thought :!: are you now running the serpentine set up with the ed timing case????
or are you still using the std ed belts??

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

im still on the 3 belt system and yes it sounds tinny like you say like an exhaust leak almost sounds like a 2 stroke bike lol so witch way does the cam gear have to be moved to change the cam timing as i dont want to bend a valve but of course ill hand turn the motor after i move the cam gear a tooth.

i was thinking that i may have had the cam timing out by a tooth or so because i never let the chain go loose as i hooked up an ocky (bunjy strap up to the roof of the carport so the timing chain didnt slip while the cam gear was out and installing the VCT one) when i took the cam gear out. and as for the arrow/dot on the cam gear its not in the same place as the dowel pin that aligns the cam

so what im asking is what way do i have to move the cam gear a tooth towards the inlet or exhaust as when my VCT advances at 3000rpm i dont want it to bend a valve at that speed or ill be up sh*ts creek

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 pm 

NSW, Australia

i meant advance the ignition timing a bit..
just it being doggy/non responcive aswell as well as the tinny exhaust sound makes me think you ignition timing is still retarded.

i would play with the ignition timing before you go playing with the cam timing...

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok well il have another go after work tomorrow and see how i go

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK.... wel i got the car today and looked it over changes the cam timing again and put it all back together and ran all the wiring today for the RPM swich i put in (thanks to JayCar) and set all the BBM um properly with the oneway vaccume valve (check valve) and added the new spark plugs leads dizzy cap etc installed the J3 chip into the J3 port and holy SH*T does it move and pull damn hard all the way to about 5800rpm im damn impressed with the VCT as it pulls hard from about 1100rpm i had played with it this afternoon for about 3 hours fine tuning the adjustments on the Vernier part of the cam and i think i got it almost right the switch over point from the VCT (rpm switch) is set to 2900rpm and seems to really have a kick at 3100rom damn im impressed and thanks to you all that have assisted me with all of this ill add up some pics of it tomorrow of all the progress i had done

Cheers all

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so to sum it all up what ive done to it -
1. Port and polish the VCT head
2. shave 15thou off the head (motor only has 50,000k on it since i rebuilt it with a ACL RACE SERIES REBUILD KIT)
3. install the VCT unit and run the unit off a JayCar frequency switch
4. install the BBM manifold and vacc lines and switch
5. run the new wires from the ECU to the thermo fan relays,ac fan relay and BBM solenoid
6. install the J3 chip to the 6TBB (XR6 AUTO POLICE ECU)
7. installed the new 3" system from my cat back (already have pacemaker extractors and igh flow stainless steel Cat.
8. installed the powersteering pump cover (thing that covers the belt setup)
9. installed the VCT AU injectors and adjustable fuel regulator (currently set at 50 PSI)

so far i would have to say it hauls a** over the wade 1636 cam easily but i will have to get it dynoed at the end of the month to fine tune it if needed but overall i'm more than happy with the result

id have to say it would have made the car a little quicker but im yet to install my No2 setup back on it i think ill leave it off till i take it in to get a tune and set up again

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 pm 

NSW, Australia

thats good news... so it put a smile on your face??

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
thats good news... so it put a smile on your face??

I had a smile like a fat kid walking into a confectionary store and someone else had to pay for it haha

HELL YES I DID

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

heres a pic of it all done but i havent cleaned the engine bay yet as im still tidying up wires and stuff

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: VCT HEAD ON A ED ENGINE CONVERSION IS NOW FINISHED
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Nice work mate, give yourself a pat on the back. I have been following this thread and it is good to see your determination to get it done.
Thanks for the pictures.
Dave.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Is that a rubber hose I see suppling oil to the VCT actuator?

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

twase wrote:
Is that a rubber hose I see suppling oil to the VCT actuator?

yeah its oil hose but was just to make sure the actuator worked ive got a braided line on its way from Pirtek as we speak

VCT oil line replaced

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

EDXR6 great work. Good to hear its improved the engine performance. What was the verdict with the aftermarket VCT cam? I think in another topic you decided against it, and intend to disconnect VCT in the future for a standard turbo cam?

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
EDXR6 great work. Good to hear its improved the engine performance. What was the verdict with the aftermarket VCT cam? I think in another topic you decided against it, and intend to disconnect VCT in the future for a standard turbo cam?

i decided against the aftermarket cam from JMM and from CrowCams in going turbo'd in about a month so im going to be disconnecting the vct as i can see that my money would be spent better else where IE TURBO hehe and going a wade turbo grind or something like a AU1645 or similar depending on my needs i got a price from snort today but was told from another place today that they were havng trouble supplying the turbo kits ??? news to me they never said anything about it in the email today but should be good and im thinkng off running my intake from the airbos as factory to the turbo instead of a pod??? anyone thought of this and keeping the factory airbox (el airbox and snorkel) in action?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next