Fordmods Logo

EDXR6POLY's Build thread now turbo!!! with pics!!! 

Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: EDXR6POLY's Build thread now turbo!!! with pics!!!
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Will a VCT AU head work on a ed xr6 falcon motor with ed rockers on the VCT head? and my cam and cam gear? or leave it as VCT and get the VCT to work via RPM switch?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: VCT HEAD ON A ED ENGINE WITH WADE CAM??? will it work
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The head will fit on the motor with the VCT an AU cam, but you wont get the ED cam and rocker gear on the it.

There is a thread on here with fitting the VCT head to a EF motor, look it up find out what needs to be done. might need to change some other stuff as well.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the VCT bit removable but leaves a gaping hole at the front, fitting a NON VCT AU cam and a NON VCT cam gear and it function as any other head. you'd just need fill the gap left be the VCT actuator.

fitting ED cam and rocker may or may not work. There has been discusion about fitting it non VCT AU heads and some people are have running engines, some say it doesn't fit. Valve position doesn't change from VCT to NON VCT.

Given the problems you've been having i'd pass the AU head and find an EF/EL head.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well i just got a VCT AU head and cam all the stuff to convert to a vct top end ao im selling my wade cam and using the std VCT cam and hooking up the VCT via the BBM switch and comtinueing with my BBM install

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:01 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
the VCT bit removable but leaves a gaping hole at the front, fitting a NON VCT AU cam and a NON VCT cam gear and it function as any other head. you'd just need fill the gap left be the VCT actuator.

you can keep the actuator in place, just remove the vct cam gear and cam, fit the non vct cam with non vct cam gear..
and if your running the oil line it needs to be blocked otherwise you will lose oil pressure..

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:03 pm 

NSW, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
well i just got a VCT AU head and cam all the stuff to convert to a vct top end ao im selling my wade cam and using the std VCT cam and hooking up the VCT via the BBM switch and comtinueing with my BBM install

if you keeping the vct cam and want to make it function? make sure you get the oil line and fittings when you get the head...

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

will do im getting a braided oil line made up just can you back me up on this? it goes from the oil sender outlet where my oil sender screws into the block up to the VCT its self and does it go back inside the motor from there or is there a pipe that goes from the VCT to somewhere else? and should the VCT head and cam when connected and working properly make much of a gain ? over the standard ed xr6 motor?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

what should my compression be with a 40k old ebxr6 acl recoed engine and a VCT head and a AU MLS head gasket? 9.5:1 maybe?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 am 

NSW, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
will do im getting a braided oil line made up just can you back me up on this? it goes from the oil sender outlet where my oil sender screws into the block up to the VCT its self and does it go back inside the motor from there or is there a pipe that goes from the VCT to somewhere else? and should the VCT head and cam when connected and working properly make much of a gain ? over the standard ed xr6 motor?

yes it goes from the oil sender outlet and supplies oil to the vct unit.
this is how it works, at under 3000rpm it supplies oil pressure to the vct unit holding the cam timing in the low rpm position.
and over 3000 rpm normaly the ecu cuts power to the vct unit, and the solinoid in the unit blocks the oil supply then the spring tension in the unit pushes the cam timing to the high rpm position...

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I have a MSD RPM switch that allows you to match the two factory switch points (1800 and 3000) as well as the ablity to tweek it if you ever get a dyno run. PM me if you need the details

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok after a long day today i got the head on all the cam gear and timing set the AU injectors in and everything bolted up BUT...

started and is a little rattely but seems to go away at about 1500-2000 rpm (guessing lifters are setting them selves the motor seems pretty gutless and not responsive at all
I have connected all my Vaccume lines and got the BBM working right but

Could it be my Timing? as it was advanced (i think it was 14 degrees) on the old ed ecu and log manifold or could it be due to the lifters low and need to build up the slack first ? well anyway its all in and im waiting on the RPM switch from jaycar to run the vct solenoid i got the plug for it today off a EB gli (was the coil plug) and have it connected via relay to the BBM switch

Anyone got any ideas why its very unresponsive?

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm 

NSW, Australia

do you have power to the vct unit??
if the vct solinoid has no power it will be a little doggy down low because the cam will be default set to the high rpm position..
how have you got the relay connected? it should supply power to the solinoid and should cut power for the high rpm position..
run 12v and an earth to the vct solinoid and take it for another run. it should be better down low but will feel week up top...

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 pm 

NSW, Australia

also if you have changed your ecu to a el one you will need to re check your ignition timing aswell.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i read somewhere that the EL ecu timing is at TDC? is that correct? it cant be also what is the timing for a EL falcon of in my case a EL ecu in a ED? 10* BTDC and dont know if it will make much difference if i habve the 6TBB ecu either

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 am 

NSW, Australia

yep if your running el ecu its 0 deg.. doesnt matter what engine its on.
you can advance it about 4 deg to about 4 deg btdc..the base timing is where the ecu starts from.
once out of diagnostic mode the ecu controls the timing from there..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next