Fordmods Logo

EF 6 Budget drag car 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF 6 Budget drag car
Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

I thought I would start a thread on my ef drag car, unfortunately I don't have many photos of it or the build but I will keep it updated with photos from now on.

I bought the car late last year it is a 96 ef futura with 357,000kms, auto,6, 3:08 open diff and 3 months rego for $550( I paid to much). On the first trip to the drags it weighed in at 1624kg and run a best of 16.541@84.92mph and thats where the fun started. We striped every thing out of the car the dash is gutted so are the rear doors (Pass door was done today) bumper inserts removed, seat brackets the works.

I scored a 3.45 LSD from a ed xr6 wreak and installed a NOS sniper nitrous kit then headed back to the track this time it weighted 1363kg and run 15.799@89.64mph on the motor. Frist nitrous runs were with 75hp jets and it run 14.23@101mph then with the 100hp jets 13.902@101.23. At this stage the car had cost a total of $1200.

After these runs we had two problems, the speed limiter and traction. Over christmas I installed a tickford head it has standard ports and cam but has been decked as far as it could be, it has very little valve clearance and use's a AU head gasket. With this installed it ran 15.406@92.26 and 13.792@101.19 with a 100 shot. The 60' time for that run was 2.36 so traction was a issue. Intresting point from this trip was the exhaust was killing power when using the nitrous, removing the muffler picked up 2mph to the 1/8 mile removing the 2 1/2" straigh pipe gained another 3mph.
The car has run with open extractors ever since.

I watched a video of the car and noticed the rear end was bottoming out on launch so I changed the rear spings to std hight, heavy duty Fairlane springs and was given 2 worn out yokohama circuit slicks. To fix the speed limiter I got a J3 chip with speed limit removed, Rev limit rasied to 6500rpm and a standard xr6 tune.

The next time out we finally got it to run like it should. Five 13.0 runs with 100hp shot. Best of the night was 13.057@105.46mph we tried the 125hp jets but it fried the tyres off the line. For anyone that cares here are the numbers for that run - 60'-1.989 330'-5.496 1/8-8.410@84.31 1000'-10.927.

After that we striped more out of the car and borrowed a set of 26x8.5 MT slicks. The last trip to the track it weighed 1331kg's and run a best of 12.926@106.08MPH on 100hp shot. The nitrous failed on one run due to someone bumping the relay and unpluging it but it was nice to see the car run a 14.8 on the motor and backed it up with a 14.77@94MPH on the next run.

That brings it up to today. Gutted the pass door, replace drivers door trim with 1mm aluminum to match the rest of the car and removing the bracing, gas struts, hinges, latches and lock from the boot lid. I didn't get it finshed today and will update the photos when its done.

If the weather is good the car with be at sydney dragway on wednesday night and running on MT slicks and 125hp and with any luck running deeper into the 12's.

Here is some crappy phone pics from today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: EF 6 Budget drag car
Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

looks like a carbon copy of the 13s for 1300 el, except your getting into the weight reduction more!
need to see some videos of the 12sec passes and would love to see how it goes with more weight out!

ever thought of removing the rear door glass and running perpex? definatly some useless weight there lol.
higher gears would knock some time off aswell.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Scotty and a the other 13's for 1300 guys are the reason I made this and yep I pretty much followed his plan.

Thought about the glass but even with some mates rates its a lot of money for not much weight. The rear door glass was around 3kgs memory. Gearing is OK crossing the line around 5300-5400rpm would be nice if i could find some cheap 3.73 gears.

No videos of the 12 second pass but I will try to get a camera mount for wednesday for some incar video.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

its funny you brought this up recently because only a week ago i started rewatching project bluebird again to see where i could improve on his ideas and i started looking for a cheap car, found an ed for $250 but i wasnt quick enough, also started looking at turbo kits rather than nitros.
nitros appears to be expensive in the long run when you factor in frequent bottle fills.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Awesome work! I've had crazy idea's of stripping my "spare" eb Xr8 out & building it into a budget drag car. It's already got extractors & sports exhaust, 3.27 LSD and a mod chip in the ecu, would be fun with a NOS plate between the manifold & plenum....

Keep at it man, 12's are not too far away for you!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Had a bad night at the track this week. The car failed inspection due to no tailshaft loop, installed one in the pits and got passed but only 2 runs for the night both 13's and both around 105mph

The 125hp jets are killing the power as it has run into the 12's on a 100 shot. I think it is running out of fuel as it feel lean in the last half of the track. It's time to build a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous also need to do something with the exhaust its way to loud in the car just running open header setup with it ending under my feet. Looking at cutting the collector off the extractor and have twin pipes running halfway down the car.

Car now weighs 1285kg

EDIT: Heres a video of a 13.18 http://youtu.be/nXp9WyM_igk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Great work mate killer times your getting, keen to see how it goes when you get the 125 jetting sorted. Wouldn't be surprised if its running out of fuel pump the std ones arnt that great.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I always wondered if the fuel pump would be running out of puff with a wet shot as big as scotty was running. Pretty sure he had better results downsizing the nos jet aswell.
I would run a 3 inch exhaust dumping behind the drivers seat.

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

i'm doing that to an el falcon with a manual box now but i am using it as a track car .we've striped out everything and replaced all the windows (including the back window ) with perspex one's. just wondering how you got it so lite .ours is still 1340 kg.I've even remove the tank and using a fuel cell in the boot.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I'm surprised with how lite it is but it's weighed with around 15lts of fuel, has no impact beams in 3 doors, no boot bracing or hinges, no front sway bar etc. There's a lot more you can remove from a drag car vs circuit car because the potential impacts are different and chassis stiffness isn't as much of a concern.

I ordered a jaz 1 gallon nitrous enrichment cell and holley black fuel pump last week so should have it set up in a few weeks

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What class are you running this in, or is it just for the Wednesday night street meets. NOS as a power adder is quite expensive to use it competitively and consistently. One of the main things for consistency is bottle pressure. Looking at your setup, I would consider adding a bottle heater.
When I ran my 302 on the bottle, I used a 255 intank pump, and quite large fuel lines. The stock pump isn't enough for a dry system, let alone a wet. If you can tap into the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, then you can use that as your fuel supply. The pump is less than 250 and NOS sell an adapter to screw into the Schrader valve to supply fuel to you Fuel Solenoid.

Hope that helps.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

It has been just for Wednesday nights but planning on running it in street fighter(13.00 and slower)

It's going to get expensive now. Slapping it together and running 12's was fun but like you said getting it to be consistent and reliable won't be cheap. As it runs now I have no idea what the fuel or bottle pressure is, it changes every time so I can't tune the jets.

100 shot seams to be the limit for the pump so it will go back to just running the motor and the nitrous side will be run off a cell/pump/reg setup where the air box was. Bottle warmer will be ordered next.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

SquishEF wrote:
EDIT: Heres a video of a 13.18 http://youtu.be/nXp9WyM_igk

Poor bugger in the left lane didn't get a chance!

I'm doing the same thing, but am at the start of the build - only done strip out, some interior panelling and air intake. I'll be checking this thread for tips.

Only difference with mine is that I'm not running to a strict budget and the car has to stay road legal as I use it as a daily driver. Mine's a 98 Fairmont though, so it gets the benefit of the XR6 engine

Still hoping for 13s, even high 13s would be fine.
Thanks for the motivation :)

Cheapie EL Fairmont drag car build thread

Next: DIY shift kit, lowering springs and shocks, new rims, nitrous kit, nitrous purge, line locker

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

bry40l wrote:
Pretty sure he had better results downsizing the nos jet aswell.

Yep, the videos show that the 75HP jet was more effective than the 100HP one - mainly due to traction off the line, but I don't think he showed a conclusive test comparing the two.

Cheapie EL Fairmont drag car build thread

Next: DIY shift kit, lowering springs and shocks, new rims, nitrous kit, nitrous purge, line locker

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have been lazy with this thing for the last few months but got stuck into last weekend and added

Walbro 255l fuel pump
Nitrous bottle heater and pressure gauge
New tail shaft loop
Au intake just because it looks nicer

Took it to the track last night and it ran 12.64@105.84mph on the 100hp jets. Second run I hit the limiter hard and it now has a rattle. Sounds like a lifter or rocker so if we are lucky it will be a easy fix.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next