Fordmods Logo

EF Rebuild, New Pics 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Rebuild, New Pics
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF

NSW, Australia

Ok so ive had this car for a while now and i will be fixing some minor things cleaning the engine bay and upgrading, pretty much how i bought it just under a year ago.
NOTE: on my Provisionals so i cant modify much engine wise.

What it has already:

Stage 3 Crow Cams
Aftermarket ECU
Extractors with 2.5" exhaust
Lowered
ANZ mayhem rims
Interior:
04 "Apline Super Tuner Headunit
6 x Alpine 6x9's
4 x Alpine Tweeters
1 x Alpine Crossover
2 x Alpine Amps
2 x Alpine Subs
Custom Boot Layout

I will throw some interior pics up later on.

Future upgrades:
Darker Tint.
New blue hoses and leads.
I would love one custom air intakes.
Chrome rocker cover.
Black carpet.
New Headunit. (currently 04 alpine super tuner)
Chrome handles.
Attachment:
39838_412529073548_661623548_4929542_3635375_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Smiffpig on Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 96 Ef Falcon
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ok so i've recently installed a Volts gauge and started converting the interior to black and creme.
Will upload pics when i get home from work, And put a few blue LED's here and there.
Attachment:
044444.JPG

Attachment:
0222222.JPG

Some clear indicators on the way.

Also started chroming some things in the engine bay, aswell as repairing the windscreen wiper arms and re spraying them.

looking for ways to repair the black seals around windows also as they are very, very course and ugly.

Also started removing the gay stickers down the side of the car for a cleaner look, might de badge it aswell as take those horrible black strips off except they are going to leave horrible black sh*t everywhere. Any tips on removing? atm im using a hairdryer lots of elbow grease and ecalyptus oil as i couldn't find isopropyl alcohol.
Attachment:
01111.JPG

Attachment:
03333.JPG

Also have a crack in my front bar, which a "contact" of mine said he can get some Helicopter Blade Tape to patch it up its clear and omg it is fkn strong. just for now though of course.

Pic of interior current, maybe if someone could brighten it up a little, all photos taken on iPhones sht camera.
Attachment:
055555.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 96 EF, New pics up.
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

I have seen this in the flesh driving around Nowra when i used to live there and it looks 10x better in person the pics dont do it justice at all.

Post subject: Re: 96 EF, New pics up, removed door trim
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

OLD!

NEW!

If you haven't figured it out i removed the sticker along the doors and the black strip, I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out, except the goober that painted the car didn't remove all of the sticky residue when he resprayed so there is line where you can tell they painted over the residue but not to worry, such a cleaner look.

Should i remove the Futura badge....... i think so.

Clear indicators on the way.

Post subject: Re: 96 EF, New pics up, removed door trim
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ok so i have recently started tearing the engine down for a rebuild, i will update this thread as much as i can to keep myself motivated.

So far i have removed complete air intake throttle body, coolant overflow, battery, thermo fans.
I will need to be replacing a few parts i am unsure what are their names so i will post some pics and hopefully get some help.

Overflow bottle had a temp sensor and an o-ring jammed inside of it, PIA to get out.
( it has a crack in it where the hoses connect which i am going to attempt to patch this instead of buying a new overflow)

Temp sensor that bolts onto the block fell apart o-ring is screwed aswell.
There is alot of rust inside the piece that holds the sensor aswell as what i can into the block.

Also my power steering pump has a leak behind it apparently the o-ring going in it is a common occurance.

When taking the radiator out do i drain the oil from the lines at the radiator by attaching a hose, or do i drain it elsewhere?

Pics coming after work i cant figure out how to swap them off my iphone.

Last edited by Smiffpig on Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EF Rebuild, New Pics
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

nice car mate,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thankyou, :)

Having some issues uploading photos, I can only upload to facebook but then it wont save them to computer tries to save as php?

Post subject: Re: EF Stripped
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ok so at the moment i have stripped almost everything i can before starting to strip the block down, which i do not want to do. I have been told because the car is running an aftermarket cam and chip if i was to do piston rings bearings etc i would have to re dyno the car, which is just more money that i dont have right now.

So atm i have:
Cleaned Thermo Fans
Cleaned Overflow
All engine bay plastics
Fixed my fog lights
Re wired alot of loose wiring
Re mounted my tweeters in cappicino interior plastics
Have 4 Cappucino door handles, awaiting chrome handles.
Gotten injectors ready for a service.
Taken coilpack out. - thought that was original problem - seems to be in alright condition it did have water marks underneath it, but i couldnt see any hair line crack or fractures. Will still be replacing it.
Flushed radiator out.
Started making custom intake piping.
Started re trimming door inserts with vinyl done 3 but, still could do with some improvement.
Front wheels will be coming off along with brake calipers for a service and maybe spray them up blue.

There are a hell of alot of sensors i will be replacing. The coolant temp sensor was so gunked up.
Aswell as the thermostat housing sensor. Pretty much everything that i cant clean and clip back together will get replaced.

When i was taking the intake off i noticed that there wasnt a gasket for the isc or tb. - My car was having misfiring issues - Could have been an intake leak? Would die in the a** when i would give it to it.

Post subject: Re: EF Rebuild, Update.
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Along time coming, Followed my workshop manual which has been really helpful now my Engine is stripped besides the head which i managed to round a f*&n headbolt(first bolt rounded so far) so that put and end to the head coming off untill i get the block + tranny out but that whole engine is going to come out anyway and i have a donor engine to put in it which im planning to do after Christmas, i am able to get a complete seal kit for about $90 which ill be using to rebuild my old motor probably do a top end then sell it or keep it for potential boosted build :).

I am two years away from getting my blacks but i definitely want a turbo setup.

The donor car is a 95 Ef so will i have to put the donors ecu in aswell as its wiring loom?
I will be bolting my extractors up and my throttle body aswell as some other bits and pieces i have cleaned up.
The plan is after Christmas get engine out and drop new in, connect all wiring, once car is starting give it the biggest service its had in its life, this engine needs to last as the car has been a constant problem.

Donor motor has a slight ticking noise coming from what i thought was coming from an exhaust rocker so could be HLA, the guys dad works for ford so i will ask him anyway.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Dont need the loom or computer if it is an EF engine just use yours if it is in good condition.

Should have used single hex (six point) impact socket on the head. I effed a headbolt on my old engine and used a slightly smaller socket and bashed it onto the hex with a hammer and that was enough to grip it and remove the damaged bolt (buy a cheapy incase you cant remove it).

Alternatativly, get some good screw extractors.

Cheers.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You do realise if you want it to be as good as a new car reliability wise, your old sensors, ignition and fuel components will be the most likely components to fail and cause issues down the track (are usally re-used) rather than the bottom end.

When I rebuilt my current engine I spent up big to ensure there wont be a failure for a LONG time and replaced EVERYTHING (except injectors and fuel reg). I understand it wasnt nessisary but the original plan for my car was to ensure reliability then look at the body, wheels ect.

Cheers

Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah i was using a single hex 14mm but not impact i actually broke the first socket in half and then got a bigger breaker bar and an impact and that rounded it, i even tried 1/2 and bashing other sockets onto it aswell as trying to tighten the head around that bolt, ATM im thinking of using my rotary tool to grind the ring of the bolt to relieve the tension.

I was looking on ebay last night actually for the screw sockets and might get a set for crissy we will see.

I know that it will be costly and i plan on replacing/servicing "everything" because in the long run i want to support a turbo setup as a daily, i am going to keep this car for a long time + i want the experience, i will have parts from the donor aswell i plan on keeping everything just incase for temporary fixes. I obviously want to scrap the donor but im going to keep two front 1/4 panels, windows, and all interals will get put into tubs for storage.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Smiffpig wrote:
Yeah i was using a single hex 14mm but not impact i actually broke the first socket in half and then got a bigger breaker bar and an impact and that rounded it, i even tried 1/2 and bashing other sockets onto it aswell as trying to tighten the head around that bolt, ATM im thinking of using my rotary tool to grind the ring of the bolt to relieve the tension.

I was looking on ebay last night actually for the screw sockets and might get a set for crissy we will see.

I know that it will be costly and i plan on replacing/servicing "everything" because in the long run i want to support a turbo setup as a daily, i am going to keep this car for a long time + i want the experience, i will have parts from the donor aswell i plan on keeping everything just incase for temporary fixes. I obviously want to scrap the donor but im going to keep two front 1/4 panels, windows, and all interals will get put into tubs for storage.

...did you remove the bolts in sequence or just unbolted it randomly? Try putting the nearest bolts to the stuck one back in and tighten them up tight (not to spec tight, just tight) to release some pressure off the stuck bolt and try to remove it. If you did it out of sequence, the head might be slightly lifted tightening the bolt to the head more...hence the stuck bolt.

I assume camshaft/rockers are off?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Smiffpig wrote:

You sound like me. Ive got about 80% of an EF Futura in the shed, stuffed if I know whether I will ever use all the parts but its nice when you need a certain bolt or anything for that matter and just go to the shed and get one.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Cam and rockers are out, yeah i know you have to do it in a spiral sequence i followed my trusty gregorys.

Yeah i know keeping the parts will pay off in the end, leaves alot of space for trial and error when i want to mod something.

I did a pre apprentice mechanic course this year so i have the rough knowledge even though this is a big project to takle straight away.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next