Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 1 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Hey guys this is my 1995 ef xr6. Bought her back in Nov 07 and has been my daily driver ever since.
Ive recently taken it off the road about 2 weeks ago to swap engines with a built 4L which i have had sitting here for about 4 months. Bought it as a donor car (Ef futura) and stripped it for spare parts and got rid of the shell.

Some of the parts i have bought for my build are;
* Garrett gt3582r with a 1.06 rear housing
* Microtech LTX-12S
* Exedy HD clutch kit
* Genuine Ford Heater pipes(which have had fittings brazed on for coolant feed & drain for turbo)
* Braided line kit (oil and water feed & drain for turbo)

Other parts i have stripped off the donor Ef
*Rebuilt 4L with forged pistons. Ported head, oversized valves, turbo cam. (not exactly sure of all internal work as it was built by previous owner.
*bosch 040 with modified fuel pump cradle...... (going to ditch 040 and get an 044 with a pick up sock for intank fitment)
*Custom fuel rail with a rising rate reg but have also ditched that as im using my factory rail with factory XR regulator to run with microtech
*Snort log manifold
* "No name" 50mm external wastegate.... i think its similar to the cheapo ones they sell on just jap or some website like that.
*cheap monza oil catch can
* 3" Dump pipe
*Front mount intercooler... not sure exactly how big i havent measured, but its big haha
*Battery bracket and cable to relocate battery to boot

Parts i still have to buy
*Bosch 044
*seimens deka 60lb injectors (have found both pump and injectors on ebay and going to get it next week)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Last edited by xr6_corbin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ef turbo build
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Heres a few pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

more pics.....
the engine and everything is in now and its sitting at the exhaust shop waiting for a 3inch mandrel bend exhaust with a highflow metal cat and a 3 inch centre muffler. And also some new intercooler piping :) hopefully should get her back by friday.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

Looks good mate,How much power are you going to be looking for?

EBT-747 -

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

about 350ish rwhp will satisfy me for the moment, i dont really know how much more than that my box and clutch set up will hold though. still has the T5 behind it.

Ive sent my microtech away to get reconfigured as i bought it second hand off my mate which used to be in a 32 skyline. So i should see that this week sometime then i should have it wired up and get it tuned in about 3 weeks so ill post some figures when its all done :)

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Did you take the sump off the engine while it was out of the car to verify that it has actually got forged pistons and shows signs of being rebuilt?

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Did you take the sump off the engine while it was out of the car to verify that it has actually got forged pistons and shows signs of being rebuilt?

Nope, I kinda know the guy who I bought it off. Have pics of the engine when it had the head off and when It was being assembled. He spent the $$ on the engine but went cheap on the turbo gear he was running. He had to sell it cause he ran out of money trying to keep it regoed and couldn't get it mod plated. But yeah I know it's the same engine cause of the ugly blue paint on the timing cover and the pic was taken on his driveway when it was on the stand.

UPDATE:
Also just got it back from the exhaust shop after getting a 3" mandrel bend exhaust with 1 muffler and a hiflow cat. It's at home at the moment and I can't cut out/fit my front bumper back on just yet as I am in Sydney this weekend. So hopefully get to that on Monday.

I will post pics of the exhaust and cooler piping and also those pics of the engine with the cylinder head off when I get home :)
Cheers

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok so i got my car back on friday from the exhaust shop.
been working on it all day today
Stuff i have done: cut out and fit front bumper after intercooler and piping was installed
reposition clutch cable behind heat sheild
fitted boost guage and wiring for the light
re position the fuse/relay box on LH side of engine bay for intercooler pipe& hole
cut out the header tank support panel to fit intake pipe so it wouldnt rub on
power steering line

Some of the problems i have encountered:

Car starts but once warm will stall if revs arent kept up. I havent done much fault finding yet but i have a spare ISC off my old motor i am going to put on to see if it fixes it.

Found slight coolant weep from heater pipe just behind waterpump where a fitting has been brazed on for the feed/return for the turbo.....arghhhh what a c***. Hopefully ill be able to get it brazed while its still on the car as the weep is up right and you can get to it. If i have to pull it off it might mean the broadband manifold may have to come off as well as the turbo and manifold.... dont wanna have to do that.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:31 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

about 350ish rwhp will satisfy me for the moment, i dont really know how much more than that my box and clutch set up will hold though. still has the T5 behind it.

the exedy hd wont hold it at 350rwhp, my exedy hd could not hold anymore then 300rwhp and it was a new clutch..
i ended up getting a npc xr6t light weight billet flywheel, 10.5"hd pressure plate with custom organic clutch. this is holding up ok at the moment with 355 rwhp...
so far my t5 is still holding up fine..

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
xr6_corbin wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

the exedy hd wont hold it at 350rwhp, my exedy hd could not hold anymore then 300rwhp and it was a new clutch..
i ended up getting a npc xr6t light weight billet flywheel, 10.5"hd pressure plate with custom organic clutch. this is holding up ok at the moment with 355 rwhp...
so far my t5 is still holding up fine..

Yeah i didnt think it would be that great... i also bought my kit from NPC only cost me 366 delivered... he did suggest a similar set up to yours.... hmmm i should of listen haha, guess ill learn my lesson. Thanks for your input :)

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Did u cut holes in the body for intercooler piping ?

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Did u cut holes in the body for intercooler piping ?

yeah the exhaust shop cut one hole on the LH side just behind the headlamp where that little fusebox/relay box is and i just moved it over and re drilled new holes to mount the fuse box.
the RH side just goes straight down and under the car through the K frame and into the front bumper.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea i did the same thing at first. i just brought the exedy and thought it would be ok but i soon found out otherwise... the clutch was ok in 1st and 2nd gear but as soon as i punched it in 3rd or 4th, as soon as it hit boost the clutch would just slip..
all up with the npc xr6t flywheel and cluch kit was just under $1000..
i got to say the billet xr6t flywheel is awsome, i was shocked when i weighed it.
it was 4kg lighter than the std one. :D .

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB turbo

Power: 276 rwkw

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
yea i did the same thing at first. i just brought the exedy and thought it would be ok but i soon found out otherwise... the clutch was ok in 1st and 2nd gear but as soon as i punched it in 3rd or 4th, as soon as it hit boost the clutch would just slip..
all up with the npc xr6t flywheel and cluch kit was just under $1000..
i got to say the billet xr6t flywheel is awsome, i was shocked when i weighed it.
it was 4kg lighter than the std one. :D .

sorry to jump in, could you recomend any direct replacement clutches, im booked in for tuning on the 9th and have only a excedy hd in mine lol lucky i found this thread. thinking either the extreme 80% organic or perhaps the excedy cushion button wolld prefer to stay organic for now. cheers gys im desperate right now lol also aiming for 300-350 whp

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger
Now with 275.7 rwkw @13 psi

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm 

NSW, Australia

i think keeping the std size clutch with 300-350rwhp you would need at least a ceramic button or cushion button cluch to help avoid clutch slip..

i went with the larger organic cluch so i could keep smooth drivabillity and a fair cluch pedal feel as i dive my car pretty much daily

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next