Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: efxr8 project
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 257 rwkw

SA, Australia

only had the 9" for a week now have not even taken it out yet had the car in a couple of places getting things done so for 5months its sat in different workshops. the car sat out back of me house for about a year and a half with only getting started every now and then to give it a run and an occasional squirt up the road. then got the urge to finish what i started but have not registered it and wont for another week or so. the big injectors where originally put in as the first plan was a t trim supercharger from capa. then thought if i do this i will do it right and start from fresh. only thing was a wasted set of pistons that had -25cc fly cut pistons ordered from lunati for supercharging reasons. so had to buy a new set to suit the other direction i went maybe in the future. my mechanic has always maintained that the pump is good enough to feed it what it needs and the injectors are the right ones so i just go with his advice. as for block splitting yeah i have heard that but plan on a new fuel pump and bigger coil to try and get a few more kw out of it. from memory the cams rev range was 3400 to 6800 and at the moment the shift light comes on around 6200 so i feel there is room for more. the transfer of power through the trans is what gives it such a high dyno reading as im told the engine is only around the 440hp mark. the cam was picked out just for get up and go fast reasons but does sound lumpy as.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

What compression ratio are you running?

One of the bigger killers of these blocks is spinning them above 6000rpm. It sounds to me like you have this puppy running right on the limit.

Also, when it comes to getting a new coil, DO NOT get an MSD Blaster coil. They are crapola. I know of about 5 or 6 people who've had them fail, including myself. I'm far from happy with MSD gear.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yeah must be well on the limit then. it has been sleeved and have had no issues its amazing how far the piston almost comes out of the standard block when stroked. having a stud girdle and the main caps sitting down inside the block not just flat with it must be set in around 5mm not sure if thats normal or not but adds to the strength of it. i was told over 500hp and they are prone to split. compression is 9-2 to 1 zero pre load and zero lash ( what ever that means ) im running an accel coil and when that was put on they found another 15rwkw which i was right chuffed about. have thought about the MSD so thanks for the heads up :D
if and that is a big if i built again would have to be a big block i think. kind of regret thats not the way i went.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:51 am 
Parts Gopher

Hey nice project you have there. I was wondering how you mounted up the C4 into the car. Did you need to set the motor back? Did you need a new trans mount or did it all bolt up ok?

1968 Mustang Coupe (in progress)
1996 Ford DL LTD Drag Car (in progress)

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im suprised your builder used that low comp piston..................

For a NA street car id use nothing less 10.1 even if u didnt want to make big hp numbers, u may want to check with your engine builder to what it is exactly as head gasket size, and head camber cc will give u final comp.

For a more street orientated diff ratio i would of went 3.73 as that's what my car had and it was just right. If u buy a 28inch slick u should be crossing the line near ur rev limiter but would be quick out of the whole...............

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

basically they cut the bell housing in two and was then lined up and welded. from memory it was one of the first done in SA i think hes name is lenny from og speed shop had input into this.I dont think anything was moved or engine mounted different the trans was made to be the same size just the bolt holes where for a windsor instead of cleveland ( give Sam from sa race a bell and ask him dude he can explain it better just mention the xr8 he put the 9" in recently his number is at the bottom of this thread) the only problem was the people who built the first c4 stuffed it right up and i lost all gears one night leaving a friends house. thats when it went to SA race for another full rebuild which came out as a 800hp rated full manual trans. the only salvaged part to re use on the second build was the bell housing job which was done very well. Thats the difference in a 2000 and 5800 dollar job i guess. you get what you pay for. as for compression im not guessing it the ratio is 9-2 to 1 fuel injection ( that is classed as n/a i take it im not the brightest with cars )and i have no pinging and the curve on my dyno sheet speaks for its self it just goes straight up dude and that was with 3.45 gearing. there is always a faster car out there i never doubt that but i never found one and lots went looking for it. As for diff ratio when you have a full race trans and a full race diff the plan is not a street car any more it was always heading for the track and im happy to cruise around on Sundays with that ratio. as for being with 4.11 Sam from SA race diffs and trans thinks if it was just a strip car and not a sunday cruiser it would have 4.55 and a much higher stall to match. as it is now will run low 11 maybe a high ten.The car has never been a daily driver.This guy would be one of the best in SA and i would recommend him to any one doing a diff or trans build. 82661688 if any one is looking for diff and trans work done

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

When my C10 conversion was done they used a cleveland belhousing which apparently bolted straight on but dont know much about that.

Is your trans reversal manual valve body???

Drive your car soon on the highway so u will know what i mean as with diff ratio and if you dont like them ask if ther can exchange to another ratio. The highest id go is probably 3.9

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yeah its reverse pattern shift if thats what you mean. im expecting to be able to cruise ( sam tells me) not much more than 90 kmh which im cool with. did get a lot of people telling me it was to extreme but was going to go 4.33 at first but was talked out of it by sa race. mate im itching to get it out and happy to put round its not a daily driver. man i love the full manual box when you snatch the next gear there is not waiting its like bang next gear as fast as you could want it. no lag

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh full MVB (manual Valvy body) is awsome

Mine cruzin at 100kms at 2200-2400rpm if i remember correctly but that's with 19's so i have a larger rolling diameter than ur wheels. My trans builder said with 3.73 i had with a 28inch slick i should be crossing the line close to rev limiter, so i definatly expect it from your car.

Also what is your stall converter size and stall speed???

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

not sure of the stall speed thats another to find out but has a 3500 stall convertor.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2