Ev's XR6 5 Speed 

Page 33 of 33 [ 491 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

Post subject: Re: Ev's XR6 5 Speed
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Aaand the waterpump bypass tube o-ring is leaking on the back of the water pump. At least thermo fans make that job a bit easier.

I finished work too late to go to the wreckers this arvo. So the Ford will be grounded for at least another day. Hopefully since I am starting at 5am tomorrow, I will be able to pick up another driveshaft after work. But, knowing my employer, it probably won't happen.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Maybe I missed something but wouldnt you be better off fitting new uni joints instead of swapping for a used shaft.??

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

Ev unless you're planning on flogging it off soon I'd agree with Troy, probably safer to just get new unis?

They aren't that expensive are they?

Anyway if you need a hand tomorrow getting a driveshaft off at the wreckers its on my way home so I can stop and give you a hand if need be depending on the time :D

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

When I was fitting my recoed diff, I removed, stripped, cleaned (needle rollers in metho bath) both uni's, regreased and reinstalled in about 2 hrs.

Worth doing IMO - a 2nd hander not checked has you doubting for the long term.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Time to let you know how the story ends.

I ended up replacing the driveshaft with a good second hand unit, really tight, off an ED. That solved the vibration issue.

And yes I was going to get rid of it soon.

Mid January, I had a bit of a windfall and decided to upgrade. Actually I had decided to upgrade about 2 years ago, but didn't have the funds to do so. I was getting sick of worrying about stuff breaking and getting sick of fixing something and immediately something else calling it quits. For example, on the test drive after fitting the new driveshaft, the alternator failed. Probably had something to do with all the power steering fluid in it. Replaced with a wrecker unit. I wasn't going to pay $300 for a new one.

Anyway, for $7,000, I picked up a MY03 Subaru Liberty RX Wagon:

Hot and cold running electric windows, climate control, 4 speed auto, AWD, brakes that work properly from factory, the lot.

I was pretty happy with it until about 3 hours after picking it up when I found the top radiator tank was leaking.

I seem to have accidentally bought a heavy duty rad for it as the standard has a 16mm core and the new one seems to be about 30mm.
Old:
New:

Now I had a problem. I had to get shot of a 21 year old Ford Falcon before the rego ran out in April. So, I decided to fix it up a bit. First on the list was a new Power Steering pump to prevent further alternator explosion.

Next was a brake fluid flush. As you can see, it was needed.

It was so successful, I tried it on the 323. Only problem was that I ran the master cylinder dry and let me tell you, it's really fun bleeding brakes all by yourself lol.

After that, I wanted to tidy up the thermo fan wiring as it had been bothering me pretty much since I put it in.

Ripped this out:

Drew this easy to follow diagram:

And installed new relays and wired it up neatly and properly:

Then it sat in the front yard for a few weeks until a young bloke from Taree bought it.

I think on the whole I enjoyed owning the Ford. I certainly learned a lot about cars. Acquired new skills, met new people. A great experience.

Cheers,

Evan.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1985 XF Falcon S

NSW, Australia

Hey Even, im so sorry to have to tell you this but the ford didnt make it. After about 3 months of ownership the car was tragically rear ended and written off.

But! hopefully with some work she should live again inside this ol beasty

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My Car!!!!

All good. Engine and drivetrain swap? It should last a while as it has a completely new ignition system on it, which is a stumbling block for these things. Keep us posted.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yep. also a few questions, whats the status of the LSD was it still on its way out when i bought it i never really got to give the car a boot full as we got halfway home and discovered the master cylinder was bypassing and the brakes were failing from time to time. that being said am i going to need to source a new cylinder or will the XF one bolt up?

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The only thing I did to the diff was change the oil, so it could probably do with a freshen up.

Don't know anything about X series at all. Fairly sure 6 cyl engine mounts are common all the way back to XA. Meaning you should be able to bolt the EB motor and gear box straight into the XF as long as you have a 5 speed XF gearbox crossmember.

I could be completely wrong though and I'll gladly stand corrected.

FalconPunch wrote:
...am i going to need to source a new cylinder or will the XF one bolt up?
Swapping what to what?

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
...am i going to need to source a new cylinder or will the XF one bolt up?
Swapping what to what?

The XF brake master cylinder to the xr6.

I've also been looking into it and apparently the engine mounts from XG utes are a perfect fit for the E series but i will still try the mounts in the XF first. As of right now though im just going to be pulling the motor out of the poor EB and give her a good clean, drain the fluids and replace some seals and plugs and watnot just get it ready to go straight in. Being the XF is now my only registered car i would really like the conversion to go smoothly so as im not without a car for too long

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Rant time.
I am now looking for a shed or garage to do this conversion in as my father has now forbid me from doing it in his one. In his opinion "if it isn't broken dont fix it". which is all well and good but being this is the first engine conversion i will have done (and the first for my dad too) I wanted to do it right. He on the other hand wants "to pull an engine out of one falcon and then put it in another falcon, should go straight in :)" somehow i didn't see that ending well with how short tempered my dad is, something would have went wrong and i would have been yelled at for hours. But in a way im sort of glad i can now do this myself, yes its going to take a lot longer (will be getting help from a few mates.....hopefully) but it gives me a change to explore and learn without the old man breathing down the back of my neck telling me im doing wrong every step of the way.
Rant over now back to the shed issue. I've been making phone calls and asking favors and hopefully within a few days i might have something with a hoist :D (hooray!) fingers crossed. but i will see this through and it will be done.

Sort by  
 Page 33 of 33  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33