Fordmods Logo

Fed's EF Fairmont Ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Fed's EF Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 95' EF Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Hi all, I'm Fed and this is my most recent addition to the collection - 1995 EF Fairmont 5L V8 sedan.

It’s actually my first eight cylinder car, and no doubt first of many to come I hope hahaha.

Done 195,000Kms when purchased earlier this year in Oct. Engine & Trans run well as they should and vehicle was completely factory standard with no aftermarket mod to be seen!
It's a Ghia too so has all the factory extras etc.
Came with full service and repair history dating back to 1995 - Bonus!

Issues so far
Minor overheating issue when driving hard around town - due to slight split in top radiator hose
Radiator fan needs replacing
Also the power steering pump is on the way out and makes a constant whine which slightly changes pitch when steering wheel turned.
Airbag light comes on at random times.
Exterior rear guards have seen better days, as previous owner’s wife apparently used to scrap both sides on their driveway walls haha.
It's purple.
Driver and passenger’s front window reg speed.
Cam belt due.

However I was aware of all of the above issues before purchasing and naturally used them to low ball the hell out of the purchase.
Seller had listed on trademe for $5K ono, ended up agreeing on 2.5K cash in hand which I was happy to pay. Seller seemed to just want rid of it after only owning for 4 months and spending 3000 in general maintenance repairs

Have since taken her on a several 200+km runs from AKL down to Te Kauwhata for a paddock bash and back without missing a beat, much nicer open road driving compared to daily driving on the stop/start urban roads -especially with the temp issues at the mo.

I will endeavour to remedy the above issues and no doubt mod as I go, but this thread will most def be a more modest, DIY and slightly on the jewish side build... as I'm still dark about my last recent car build blowing out to over 20K over 18 months, being stolen and written off with no cover :? So I'm pretty diligent when it comes to spending the caaashmoneyyy on these things.

Few pic's of the Mont after a days ownership

Minus the below extra, which I seem to do on all my cars lol

Five eighT Rolling - Landofthelongwhitecloud

Last edited by FTR on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fed's EF Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Looks nice and tidy. Glad to see you removed the spoiler....They ruin the look of the EF/EL sedans in my opinion.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

Nice tidy EF; I have one the same colour but it's not a ghia. Does it have leather or cloth trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Nice tidy EF; I have one the same colour but it's not a ghia. Does it have leather or cloth trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Looks nice. I love that colour. Its called Sparkling Bordeaux.

Don't bother doing the PS pump, they are always noisy. I've even bought a new one and it was noisy. They are just an archaic design. A loud exhaust drowns it out :lol:

Guessing its a series 1 with 50/50 velour/leather? Thats the nicest interior IMO.

Looks bloody nice anyway, be sure to keep us updated.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Yeah full leather interior(in grey), came up well after a whole Sunday dedicated to grooming her up - will post some interior pics up when I get a chance.

Odo clocked over twohundy the other day...

So spent some of yesterday getting my service on

Ended up skipping the job of replacing the Trans oil as I couldn't locate the sump plug (if they even have one??) I was going to just drop the pan but I figure if that’s the case I’ll be needing a seal, gasket and filter kit like this??

I know it's due, but really cbf doing cam belt etc juuust the moment what with all the good weather, Xmas ham and alcohol about :lol: .
Will do later on in the New Year when I've some spare time, motivation and am hungoverless.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Cambelt???? Do you mean the serpintine belt that drives the alt. AC and water pump? If so its an easy job. As for the trans service just dropping the pan is one way but very messy. If you have an external trans/oil cooler mounted up behind the front bumper u can just disconnect the lines by the cooler and run the motor (at idle) until the oil stops coming through. Then drop the pan to replace the filter.

That AU/BA filter and gasket will fit.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
Looks nice. I love that colour. It’s called Sparkling Bordeaux.
Looks bloody nice anyway, be sure to keep us updated.

Took photos on forgiving angles if were being honest :P it's pretty rough panel & paint wise but ill touch on that later on when I get around to panel beating her before paint (leaning towards black).

Have mixed reactions from peps about colour some love others loath, it looks ok during daytime I suppose, night time she’s a little purple for my liking.
LOL my old man told me he likes the whine from the PS pump too, yea true that.
I actually sourced a 2nd PS unit for 130 but yeah like you say, extractors and exhaust sit much higher up on the priority list and the noise doesn’t bother me, I just didn't want the unit giving up on me.

Yeah think ur right about the 50/50. Aside from being a bland grey colour the interior is very good condition so am happy with it.
Only the driver’s seat is in bad condition (rips and worn out) might look do a DIY re-upholster to it down the track.

Ta matey - ya will do bud cheer

bottlejack15 wrote:
Cambelt???? Do you mean the serpintine belt that drives the alt. AC and water pump? If so its an easy job. As for the trans service just dropping the pan is one way but very messy. If you have an external trans/oil cooler mounted up behind the front bumper u can just disconnect the lines by the cooler and run the motor (at idle) until the oil stops coming through. Then drop the pan to replace the filter.

That AU/BA filter and gasket will fit.

Yeah yeah that's what I was trying to refer too.
Ohh nice, yeah sweet as will def look to drain via the cooler/trans lines, thanks for the tip!

Sweet as, will get that filter kit too. Ta for your input and helpful suggestions guys.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Looks really good mate ! Always loved that colour :D Good to see you got rid of the spoiler as well some people like them some people hate them, each to their own.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

B Bear wrote:
each to their own.

Ta B Bear, was never really into the E-series shape Monts prior to purchasing one for myself - but have become more and more fond of them. No doubt a result of me browsing some of the nice EL build threads on here and seeing what others have done with theirs etc.

Yeah man was stoked when I noticed the 2nd high stop light in the rear window, always a bonus to de-spoiler without needing to mount a replacement stop light.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FTR wrote:
B Bear wrote:
each to their own.

Ta B Bear, was never really into the E-series shape Monts prior to purchasing one for myself - but have become more and more fond of them. No doubt a result of me browsing some of the nice EL build threads on here and seeing what others have done with theirs etc.

Yeah man was stoked when I noticed the 2nd high stop light in the rear window, always a bonus to de-spoiler without needing to mount a replacement stop light.

Your right I was the same years back, I wasn't too sure on the look of them but over time they grow on you. Especially with the right work done to them they come up looking awesome !

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Is it weird that I want to put a spoiler on mine? With all these people hating them somebody should give me one for free :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Is it weird that I want to put a spoiler on mine? With all these people hating them somebody should give me one for free :lol:

Not at all ! Go for it :D If everyone was the same things would become boring. You could probably pick one up pretty cheap ?

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'm digging that Grandpa look these days.

Sorry for the thread jack. I'll f**k off now haha. :P

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
I'm digging that Grandpa look these days.

Slo shes all yours if ya actually wanted it, you'd just need to get the shipping $$, upto you

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]