Fordmods Logo

Finally the Mq hits the tar 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Finally the Mq hits the tar
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

good to hear your rig is running well, bugger about the internet, mine got the rear diff thrown in today, looks like a full car if you dont pop the bonnet! :lol:
im looking at a funny sticker for my back window, im thinking "built not bought" and
"dont follow me you wont make it"
and also the sticker with the stick families running with the fourbie mowing them down.
i like yours

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Cheers mate. This is the latest one
Bet you cant wait to finally get in your beast. Seems like excellent progress has happened since we last spoke dude. If I hold my tongue right I get decent net speed, so will have to check out your thread...... Just hope the wind dont change lol

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Cheers mate. This is the latest one
Bet you cant wait to finally get in your beast. Seems like excellent progress has happened since we last spoke dude. If I hold my tongue right I get decent net speed, so will have to check out your thread...... Just hope the wind dont change lol

I don't think theres too much new stuff on there, nice new sticker, im getting some band aid stickers for mine:)

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Use the elastoplas ones, they hold longer when wet than the band aids.
I was going to ask weather you wanted the rear seat from my Mq for yours as I am going for tray space over people moving. When I took the seat cover off it was a bit torn though and its a long way from Newy to here just for a seat. Hows your donk going? Is the girl ready for it right now?

Im busting my a** to find a cheap set of extractors for mine. I can get a set off ebay new for just under $500, but being the jew I am I want to pay no more than $150 for a second hand set. Then I think Ill go a 3" mandrel bend right through. I do want to heat proof the extractors when I find them though as the inlet/exhaust on the sd33 are right on top of each other and that cant be good for cold air induction.
Still tossing up either a bonnet scoop or snorkel. If I go a scoop the way the air cleaner hole faces it would suck the cold air brought in from the scoop straight off the top of the fire wall...... But then when she does go bush and I do any relatively decent sized water crossing Ill be pooing my pants.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Use the elastoplas ones, they hold longer when wet than the band aids.
I was going to ask weather you wanted the rear seat from my Mq for yours as I am going for tray space over people moving. When I took the seat cover off it was a bit torn though and its a long way from Newy to here just for a seat. Hows your donk going? Is the girl ready for it right now?

Im busting my a** to find a cheap set of extractors for mine. I can get a set off ebay new for just under $500, but being the jew I am I want to pay no more than $150 for a second hand set. Then I think Ill go a 3" mandrel bend right through. I do want to heat proof the extractors when I find them though as the inlet/exhaust on the sd33 are right on top of each other and that cant be good for cold air induction.
Still tossing up either a bonnet scoop or snorkel. If I go a scoop the way the air cleaner hole faces it would suck the cold air brought in from the scoop straight off the top of the fire wall...... But then when she does go bush and I do any relatively decent sized water crossing Ill be pooing my pants.

when i bought a swb spare car i scored the back seat and all the seatbelts so im right in the seat department, get a snorkel, i have one for mine but havent fitted it yet, swapped a front gaurd for it :)
my engine is laying in the worst spot at the front of my mums yard with 5 speed attached wrapped in a tarp, has been there about a month now lol.
hopefully it will be in my car next week, plans were for tomorrow to drop it in but it rained today which held us back from doing my mates shorty patrol engine so his might be a tomorrow job pushing mine to next monday/tuesday.
damn i wish i had a td42 in mine :evil:

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Tell me about it with this friggin rain. The new house doesnt have a shed or garage, so I am limited by the weather...... Put it this way, they dont call it bleakheath instead of Blackheath up here for nothing. It just wont stop raining, hell yesterday it got to an incredible 6 degree's up here lol.
I was tossing up the TD42 for mine too. Ive heard they are bad on the juice and seeing the Trolls weigh so much you'd maybe be worth doing a cheap 350 conversion on dual fuel. 350's arent expensive to get now days, parts are cheap and the conversions are out there cheapish too. Its been done heaps of times I know, but atleast that means there are plenty of good parts out there on the cheap.
When I use to cabinet making in Rosebud Vic we had a Mav 4.2 as a tow car for a HUGE trailer. Mate the petrol engine would pull the Spirit of Tazzy easy even on gas, but on fuel it was REALLY thirsty. Id say maybe more than a good tunes 350.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Tell me about it with this friggin rain. The new house doesnt have a shed or garage, so I am limited by the weather...... Put it this way, they dont call it bleakheath instead of Blackheath up here for nothing. It just wont stop raining, hell yesterday it got to an incredible 6 degree's up here lol.
I was tossing up the TD42 for mine too. Ive heard they are bad on the juice and seeing the Trolls weigh so much you'd maybe be worth doing a cheap 350 conversion on dual fuel. 350's arent expensive to get now days, parts are cheap and the conversions are out there cheapish too. Its been done heaps of times I know, but atleast that means there are plenty of good parts out there on the cheap.
When I use to cabinet making in Rosebud Vic we had a Mav 4.2 as a tow car for a HUGE trailer. Mate the petrol engine would pull the Spirit of Tazzy easy even on gas, but on fuel it was REALLY thirsty. Id say maybe more than a good tunes 350.

my mates seems like its not bad on fuel, but i do notice everyone dropping v8s in and also running the tb42 on gas, i sure as hell wont be going gas, pretty sure the tank goes in the back of the car on the swb and i have no boot space as it is, the points will be getting thrown in the garbage and a pertronix setup will be going in the dizzy,also having a well tuned carby without the auto choke stuck on helps a bit lol

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my camper trailer idea
latest update on my car

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lol. The auto choke stuck on seems to be a common problem. I have also read rejetting the stock carbys makes a difference. I think you decrease the main jet a small amount and then increase the secondary. Suppose to be a good investment along with the pertronix setup. You could always covert her to injection too.
I think you can mount the gas tank under the tray but then you just have another thing that can be ripped off on a track.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Lol. The auto choke stuck on seems to be a common problem. I have also read rejetting the stock carbys makes a difference. I think you decrease the main jet a small amount and then increase the secondary. Suppose to be a good investment along with the pertronix setup. You could always covert her to injection too.
I think you can mount the gas tank under the tray but then you just have another thing that can be ripped off on a track.

being a shorty im told i cant put the gas at the rear under the boot unless im running it straight gas, on the lwb they relocate the petrol tank in front of the diff

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Of course, there would be way too much going on being 4x4 before the diff, sorry.
I did some research on the net ( limited due to net speed), they reckon the stock carby is the best choice over holleys and edelbrock's.
How excited are you to fire her up and go for a spin hey. Mate its a buzz driving them. Id rather drive the troll over the Ef, the trolls no way even close to a nicer/safer/smoother/faster drive but it just rocks driving the trolls. Im hooked now, if the rust repairs the Mq's are renown for start to piss me off too much I definitely will be looking for a Gq or a Mav. Im in love and Im sure you will be when you get her up and running too. The XR6 will end up being a shiny car looking nice out the front of your place lol.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Of course, there would be way too much going on being 4x4 before the diff, sorry.
I did some research on the net ( limited due to net speed), they reckon the stock carby is the best choice over holleys and edelbrock's.
How excited are you to fire her up and go for a spin hey. Mate its a buzz driving them. Id rather drive the troll over the Ef, the trolls no way even close to a nicer/safer/smoother/faster drive but it just rocks driving the trolls. Im hooked now, if the rust repairs the Mq's are renown for start to piss me off too much I definitely will be looking for a Gq or a Mav. Im in love and Im sure you will be when you get her up and running too. The XR6 will end up being a shiny car looking nice out the front of your place lol.

I drive my mates from time to time and its such a tease lol. Gq's rust out badly too. Mine isnt where the usual suspects are like the gutters or under the rear side windows but I need to sort out the dodgy rear 1\4 chop

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
79raven wrote:

I drive my mates from time to time and its such a tease lol. Gq's rust out badly too. Mine isnt where the usual suspects are like the gutters or under the rear side windows but I need to sort out the dodgy rear 1\4 chop

I think there is a bloke on ebay selling rear 1/4 panels new. Might be worth while shelling out the cash for that and welding the new panel in.
Good thing is seeing they are a full chassis car your right as long as the rust isnt in the chassis or within 2 inches of the door hinges.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hows it goin?
i was just talking to my dad about my pootrol and was telling him my brilliant idea to get a gq swb chassis and retro fit an mq 2 door body on it if it all went on relatively easy and he was telling me that many many moons ago he was going to buy an mq shorty brand new from the local DATSUN dealer,
he reckins brand new they were only 3000 on the road from datsun :shock:

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well with the move, kids, bills and all this rain we have had up here and no garage the progress has been slow. She is still running and I have the tie rod ends here to replace the rooted ones in it now but unfortunately rego ran out the of last month. I am wondering if to re register it while under the time frame or hand in the plates and give myself 12 months to get it to what I want ( 5 speed, maybe upgraded Gq draglink setup, respray, finish off the interior etc).
Did get her some new shoes the other day though. The 15" tyres were getting low and being deep dish 31/10.5 sunrasia's they weighed a tonne..... and the stock 3.3L Na diesel needs all the help to get up to speed. Found a set of 5 rims ( one steel and 4 aftermarket light weight rims), 16" with great tread 265/70r16 Pirelli Scorpion At tyres on ebay. Ended up getting them for $100 the lot but had to drive down to Manly to get them. The rims had I think Magnesium chloride stains on them from being down near the beach and the rear rim caps had a little surface rust. I tried the net for answers and it said to use 50/50 white vinegar and water... But that did not work. I thought f**k it and grabbed some wet dry sand paper and started lightly sanding them back with the worst case being paint them. They ended up coming up REALLY nice, still a few sand paper scratches on them seeing I ended the process with 2000 ply but good enough for me. Total repair on all 4 rims, $8 in sand paper and a fair bit of skin off my fingers from rubbing.
The rims look great ( bit sporty for a 3.3L diesel though lol), they dont fill the guards out like the deep dish 15/8's but will be SO much better on the road. Thinking about keeping the 15's for offroad use and putting 35's on them or maybe selling them. I reckon $125 to $150 for 5 black deep dish 15/8's would be fair and that cash could go onto other repairs, but the Sunrasia's would be so much better offroad than the new rims. Anyway, here's some pictures
Rims when I got them.... the best out of the 4
After

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next