Fordmods Logo

Fordman351's DOHC Turbo EL Fairmont 

Page 2 of 74 [ 1110 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Aranthi, i'm in contact with EMS to see if the 6806 will suit the project, i'm pretty keen on that one, so if EMS say it will work with my combination, i'll be going with that.

As for a time when this is going to be finished, i want the car off the road as little as possible, so i'm just gathering bits together now so i can throw it all in at once. Also will be depending on when i sell my bike. Could be next week, could be next month.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Any ECU that will work with the 36-1 crank sensor will work. The only thing that would hold an ECU back is if you wanted cam control.

Atomic are releasing verneir cam gears next month if you didnt want to pursue the DVCT route. If you do then I was quoted $6500 for a motec install. The autronic needs you to remove 3 of the cam teeth to work with the sensors which isnt that much of a drama.

Early last year Autronic was going to release a version of their ECU which would work with the stock sensors but I dont think it ever got done.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

What bike are you selling?????

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

ACT, Australia

hey buddy nice project i see happening here... im also currently doing the conversion. see my thread on boosted falcon in my sig

heres a few tips and things that i can think of

see if an EA-ED subframe will fit on the chassis as the el subframe is different to the eb one, and the eb one is alot easier to modify. you cant cut out too much of the sump because the oil pump is right at the front on the ba engine.

ill post pics up later on 2nite of the subframe

im using my eb engine mounts.

as for computers im running an ems 8860. as dan said before there is no cheapish ecu that can control the dvct. im in contact with ems and at ford hq trying to get some info on the cams so i can send it to ems and see if they can get it too work.

whats your plans on transmission. the el trans wont hold up for too long if your going to be running some serious power im running the tremec 5 speeds out of the ba mk2 turbos. just gotta sort out the hydrolic clutch.

umm and now i forgot what i was going to say...

so anyway ill put some pics up 2night and show you what i mean with subframes etc.

wow theres going to be a few dohc eseries soon... now i dont feel as special. im still cooler than you losers with your sohc haha lulz

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB
http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=37346

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

also thought of a few other things

ditch the drive by wire throttle body, and get a standard cable type. dan and i are both using an xf throttle body's and brackets and an ea-ed cable.

and with the aircon. im going to try and use an el compressor bolted onto the ba engine, but if worse comes to worse just use the ba one and get some lines made up. not really that hard

pics of my eb subframe
this pic shows how far the k frame was moved forward for sump clearance

i also had some spacer plates made up, hopefully to try and eliminate bonnet clearance issues

the plates fitted to the frame

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EFfalconsrule wrote:
What bike are you selling?????

Hey man, this is the bike i'm selling, have a geeze: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/fs-wa-20 ... 59857.html

Thanks for your input Revhead theyre some good tips. I'm just going to modify the existing crossmember in my car, i really cant afford to rip the front end apart and change everything over. The way ill do it is just make a couple of cuts into the crossmember with an angle grinder and weld up the gap with some high strength steel. As the aussie saying goes "she'll be right", haha. And i stand corrected about modifying the sump, i saw a picture the other day which i THOUGHT was a BA engine with the front of the sump cut away, but on closer inspection saw that it was indeed an AU engine, DOH! I was suspicious after seeing where the oil pickup was in the BA engine.

As for the air conditioning compressor, i have noticed many similarities to the SOHC block eg: bolt holes and mountings, the BA uses an adapter plate to mount the compressor to the block, so if you use the bolt holes that the adapter is mounted to, i reckon the EL compressor SHOULD mount up as normal.

I too an using the stock EL engine mounts, they should be fine.

As for my gearbox, i have spent several thousands of dollars rebuilding and strengthening it for this very day. It should be quite capable of holding 400-450hp reliably.

I'm not going to utilise the electronic throttle, im just going to use the EL one off my current engine.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

good luck with it all man... hope it all goes well for you.

ill give you more info later on after i paint my engine bay this weekend its all fun times fitting the damn thing in their.

ill let you know how it all goes. and visa versa K?

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No worries, likewise if i find something out i'll let you know. Just been reading your story on BoostedFalcons, doing pretty well :wink: .

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ahh thats what i was going to ask! What happens if i cant get the VCT operational? Can i still run the engine as is? Will the cam position be locked solid into one position?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

It will run fine but it will be underpowered. The cams will retard a set position. I cant remember what it is atm though.

Mine made 100rwkw without touching the cams. IT should be up near 150rwkw. Ill have that sorted soon now that my voltage issues are fixed.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

not with the current phasers they want to be adjusted but they wont know what to do. atomic will be releasing some cam gears next month, that will suit perfectly

dan knows more about them than i do

EDIT!! damn you dan with faster typing than me

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Okay cool, i'll have to keep an eye on that. Being new to the market i'm sure the cam gears will be a eleventy million dollars a set. Here's to hoping theyre not!

EDIT: Keep us posted Dan!

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

oh sweet.. gotta love atomic :P ill get them to chuck them in when i buy my bottom end :)

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I had a chat to the guys at Atomic (atomicperformaceproducts.com), they are in the final stages of developing the vernier cam gears. Their biggest challenge was to find the correct err..."cam centreline", or the "sweet spot" of the cam.

But they have found the ideal setting and are in the final stages of machining up around 25-50 sets of gears. The estimated prices will be between $300-$500, this cost could be reduced with more interest, but as i see it, it could be a limited market for vernier gears on a twin cam. Final release date is going to be about 4-6 weeks away. So if you're interested, speak up and let Atomic know, they want to see how popular these gears could be.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

hey fordman i got a little update on my car if your interested

the engines in!!!!

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 74  [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next