Fordmods Logo

fordman351's Other Twincam Conversion: Project Sleeper R31 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: fordman351's Other Twincam Conversion: Project Sleeper R31
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Hi guys, i bought my 1987 R31 RB30E Skyline Ti a few weeks ago now to bridge the gap of boredom while my Fairmont is having the ECU wired up.

On Thursday i purchased a near complete RB20DET conversion from a mate who has now installed a bigger RB25DET into his HR31 GTX. This package which i have purchased for $500 included complete engine, engine wiring harness, flywheel, pressure plate, gearbox, RB25 turbo and all the little bits and pieces.

Now, even though the engine doesn't look pretty, it has been putting down a solid 250rwhp, not bad for a daily work s**t haha.

I'm on holiday for three weeks soon and in that time i plan to give it a complete respray and a series 3 front end and guards, which i'll do myself thank's to the help of a local spoiler shop. The series 3 front bumper is a lot more open which will be good to hide a big intercooler behind. I plan on keeping the Skyline looking as stock as possible maybe adding a venetian and 'lawn bowls is the best' bumper sticker haha.

Anyway, we'll see how we go!

1987 R31 Skyline Ti

Stock RB30E 330,00km's old, doesn't use a drop of oil and not a puff of smoke at all.

The RB20DET the night i brought it home, trademark tyre engine stand lol.

Exhaust side, believe it or not this is my first EVER turbo engine! Im excited :twisted:

RB25DET Ceramic exhaust wheel turbo, water cooled. No shaft play at all, heeheehee i said shaft.

Manifold off for a good clean and whaddaya know! 12 intake ports!

You thought Ford six cylinder manifolds are hard to work on? Get a load of this! I cleaned it today, now looks brand new! One throttle in each runner, just like our Ford sixes, when it gets to a certain rev range, they open up.

The wiring harness, the left half goes to the cabin, the right half to the engine, plug and play, soooooooo easy!

Last edited by fordman351 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

SA, Australia

I want.

Always had a soft spot for the R31's and Nissan's in general.

Doin it for Scotty.

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

hurry up will ya!

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: skyline
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think you should keep the RB30 and turbo that instead of all the stuff around with pulling engines in and out and its a 3L so it has alot more grunt and believe me it does.

Then you can put an RB twincam series head and have a monster of a street car.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nah as i said the RB30 has around 330,000km's on it, and no doubt if i throw a turbo on, the head gasket will go and we'll run into all sorts of trouble. At least the RB20 is turbo ready and has only done 140,000km's.

It's not like the Fairmont, it's as easy as take old engine out new engine in, plug in ECU and off you go. Well...maybe not THAT easy, but it's easy enough.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Got some new toys for the conversion coming soon, while i wait for a manifold gasket to arrive from Japan in three weeks time :roll: . Bought an as new HKS boost gauge off a mate for $80 normally $300! Getting an Apexi AVC-R electronic boost controller for $250 normally something like $550! Also scored a manual tailshaft for free, it just needs a new universal joint, anyone can guess what has happened there haha and a series three manual shifter surround and boot. Picking up the ECU at some stage this week and she will be getting a lick of paint in the next few weeks.....hopefully.....before the surface rust gets any worse lol.

Plus i'm slowly building up my parts for the series three front-end conversion, i have a Ti grille and headlamps on the way. I still need a filler panel that runs under the headlamps and the front bumper and reinforcement and quater panels.

I still need a cheapo BOV, intercooler kit, clutch, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder, shifter lever, manual gearbox crossmember, three inch exhaust aaaaand....i think that's it.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

can i have your job/?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

lol sweet go grandpa spec, that would be funny as

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mazda CX-5 & 96 EL Falcon

SA, Australia

good luck with this project too, my mates still waiting to get money together to get his turbo balanced for his R31 RB30, mean while he bought a wrecked R30 skyline turbo'd, guy broke a control rod and went into a tree on the fron passenger side. Now he's doing a swap of the turbo parts and interior into his R30, yep hes got an EF Falcon wagon, R31 and 2 R30 Skylines.

My EL Gli.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

have you been crusing around town in it yet?

cause i saw a old skyline before... like a week or so ago, just wondering if it was ya haha

XR8 UTE: Low && Loud

Holdens were never designed to turn, brake or accelerate... as long as you can slam in subwoofers and dump it on rims 60% of australias 17-25 yo population are happy

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah man, it's my daily car now. I cruise in it pretty much every day. Look out for the faded roof and boot lid. I still havn't seen you out and about yet, i look out for all the white XH utes now haha.

Frank, you can have my job, i don't earn alot of money, it helps that i don't drink smoke or go clubbing etc, i also don't have a missus....'nuff said haha!

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

fordman351 wrote:

Frank, you can have my job, i don't earn alot of money, it helps that i don't drink smoke or go clubbing etc, i also don't have a missus....'nuff said haha!

well im the same yet im broke! and i live at home!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Bit of an update on the R31.

I recieved my 'awesome quality'( :roll: ) ebay cooler kit today, it's nothing pretty but what can you expect for $300 haha. The piping is going to need modifying to fit as the kit is actually for an R32, there aren't any kits to suit R31's :(

Installed my GReddy auto timer, took about half an hour and four wires and that was it. Has features like intelligent coold-down, like it can tell how hard you have been hammering the car and can adjust the cooldown time to suit, or you can just have a preset time. Has lap timer, 0-100km/h timer, quater mile timer etc etc so on and so forth. Not bad for a freebie 8-)

Also got my Apex-i AVCR boost controller, tasty bit of gear here, cost me $200 and they're normally $750 new! It's just that it has to be hardwired now as the loom between the motor, pressure sensor and hand controller was sacraficed in the prvious car, but thats no biggie.

Installed a 2.5" catback exhaust with a single straight through muffler at the back (not a cannon lol), my god does it sound awful haha. It's only temporary untill i can save a bit more coin and get a full 3" mandrel exhaust.

Got the Series 3 front-end and free headlamps too so might attempt to do that sometime.

So yeah, all thats left to source now is an RB20DET automatic ECU and we'll be rolling.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

if you are having any probs with install of the EBC you can have a peek at mine this weekend

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Nice 351!
Now get to installing!

Nicko

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next