ICWAGGN: My BF XT Wagon 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: ICWAGGN: My BF XT Wagon
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

drewh wrote:
Did you buy the wagon yourself? And how much for?

(this is just what I would have done)....but sell it and get some more cash and buy an E Series falcon [EA-EL]... therefore you should have some spare cash to spend on doing the rims, lowering it etc etc.....plus you'll find a lot more interested users on here. 8-) Just my suggestion, you dont have to listen to me tho.

You can make E series look s*** hot very quick! :wink:

Hey, ill actually change my opinion about what I said. Keep the Bf, because its a much for reliable and modern car with updated technology, power potential etc etc. ! If you go E series you'll probably have a lot more issues with replacing and fixing worn parts seeing as they are moving on 20 years old!

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XT Wagon

VIC, Australia

drewh wrote:
drewh wrote:
Did you buy the wagon yourself? And how much for?

(this is just what I would have done)....but sell it and get some more cash and buy an E Series falcon [EA-EL]... therefore you should have some spare cash to spend on doing the rims, lowering it etc etc.....plus you'll find a lot more interested users on here. 8-) Just my suggestion, you dont have to listen to me tho.

You can make E series look s*** hot very quick! :wink:

Hey, ill actually change my opinion about what I said. Keep the Bf, because its a much for reliable and modern car with updated technology, power potential etc etc. ! If you go E series you'll probably have a lot more issues with replacing and fixing worn parts seeing as they are moving on 20 years old!

I did consider that at one point. But seeing as I got it for free ( Parents old car.) And it's never had a problem. I would keep it anyway. But i understand what you mean, there seems to be heaps of E-Series and AU's on the site. But hey :) What can you do.
Not to mention I Love the BA-F series.

Project #1: BF XT Wagon. " ICWAGGN"
Project #2: Can't afford it!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

* Drools*
I really like them all!!!

I want that one, That one, that one, that one etc...

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

Thanks all for the remarks on the looks of my wagon 8-) I sourced the bonnet, XR Front, Grills and Lights from SSV in Sydney, off Ebay for a package deal of $1100 about 2 years ago. The fitting was straight forward and not too difficult if you dont try and do it on your own. The only part that really needs connecting is the driving lights (shhhh ford would prefer it if you call then cornering lights) if you arent already running some, as they will need to be wired in. The SSV stuff is top quality and fit first time with out any stuffing around like some of the cheaper fibreglass kit that are available and that you may have read bad stories about. Paint was just under $1000 as it was a paint to match the ICE MINT SILVER paint. The Wheels were FG XR6 wheels (17" fitted with 245/45 R17 FEDERAL 959 tyres for $1000) bought from I think from AVON tyres on Cantebury Road, just off the end of Warrigul road. The 5 / 114.3 is 5 stud wheel pattern and the Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) is 114.3mm, which is the standard Ford Falcon wheel pattern.

Its quite likely you saw me around CLAYTON as I work in Braeside and am traveling around the surrounding suburbs frequently.

One word of warning about the Wagons is dont go TOO LOW in the rear as with the long wheel base and the long over hang behind the rear wheels you will find your self either smacking the exhaust on speed humps, or dragging its a** up drive ways and end up with D shaped exhaust tip as a result.

The wagon is good mod because the shape has been around since the AU so there are heaps of parts, everything from the rear passenger doors is interchangable with the sedan, the only real pain is that the rear seat is wagon only and cant be swapped for the sedan item without modification. front seats, carpet, consoles, door cards dashes and ICC are interchangable so you have a large selection to choose from. Just have fun and do it a bit at time, 95% of it is either bolt on or clip on.
Wow sorry for the long post :oops:

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

I wouldnt go any fibreglass if you dont have to. There are plenty of aftermarket "plastic" XR bars around, and steel Hump bonnets if thats what your after. Im undergoing the XR front mod on my wagon atm. After much looking, have an original BF XR bar for $100- and mint XR lights for $150. Add the $330 for aftermarket steel XR bonnet, and really not much difference in buying fibreglass kit (actually plastic/steel has ended up cheaper)- so shop around.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Mont5.0 wrote:
I wouldnt go any fibreglass if you dont have to. There are plenty of aftermarket "plastic" XR bars around, and steel Hump bonnets if thats what your after. Im undergoing the XR front mod on my wagon atm. After much looking, have an original BF XR bar for $100- and mint XR lights for $150. Add the $330 for aftermarket steel XR bonnet, and really not much difference in buying fibreglass kit (actually plastic/steel has ended up cheaper)- so shop around.

I agree.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:

the only real pain is that the rear seat is wagon only and cant be swapped for the sedan item without modification.

Major mods needed there, try to find Fairlane interior if you can. Drew can give you a full run down on what works and what doesn't. I have an AUII Fairlane rear seat in mine (trims swapped over onto my frames, as the mounting brackets are different, and head rest tubes welded in). But well worth it in the end.

Last edited by Mont5.0 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:
Thanks all for the remarks on the looks of my wagon 8-) I sourced the bonnet, XR Front, Grills and Lights from SSV in Sydney, off Ebay for a package deal of $1100 about 2 years ago. The fitting was straight forward and not too difficult if you dont try and do it on your own. The only part that really needs connecting is the driving lights (shhhh ford would prefer it if you call then cornering lights) if you arent already running some, as they will need to be wired in. The SSV stuff is top quality and fit first time with out any stuffing around like some of the cheaper fibreglass kit that are available and that you may have read bad stories about. Paint was just under $1000 as it was a paint to match the ICE MINT SILVER paint. The Wheels were FG XR6 wheels (17" fitted with 245/45 R17 FEDERAL 959 tyres for $1000) bought from I think from AVON tyres on Cantebury Road, just off the end of Warrigul road. The 5 / 114.3 is 5 stud wheel pattern and the Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) is 114.3mm, which is the standard Ford Falcon wheel pattern.

Its quite likely you saw me around CLAYTON as I work in Braeside and am traveling around the surrounding suburbs frequently.

One word of warning about the Wagons is dont go TOO LOW in the rear as with the long wheel base and the long over hang behind the rear wheels you will find your self either smacking the exhaust on speed humps, or dragging its a** up drive ways and end up with D shaped exhaust tip as a result.

The wagon is good mod because the shape has been around since the AU so there are heaps of parts, everything from the rear passenger doors is interchangable with the sedan, the only real pain is that the rear seat is wagon only and cant be swapped for the sedan item without modification. front seats, carpet, consoles, door cards dashes and ICC are interchangable so you have a large selection to choose from. Just have fun and do it a bit at time, 95% of it is either bolt on or clip on.
Wow sorry for the long post :oops:

Yeah I had a peak at it when I saw it parked on North Road, looks really smooth certainly made me turn my head!

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I like the idea of a XR front conversion, and I would love to change the interior to XR or Fairmont.
And Lowering wise, I was thinking maybe 2" all round? Or is that too much?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am 
Smokin em up

Maybe go to some wreckers and see if you can find any genuine bf xr bumpers, in white :lol: ?? Otherwise search ebay.com.au for "BF xr6 bumper". You could buy the parts in pieces (as you can afford them) such as your headlights, grill, paint, etc then put it all together!

2" sounds alright to me? I suppose you could do the front suspension then have the rear suspension reset to the desire height.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah, There's a wreckers not too far off that might have what i want, So i've sent out some Emails to them to see what's happening.

And to lower the car, What brand of springs do you recommend?

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Allright, Unfortunantly I'm now in the position where I have to sell the Falcon.
I'm considering getting a E or AU series to replace it. Or maybe I can go pick up a 97 Volvo and Slam it to the ground. ( Not really!)

But seriously. Should I get an E series, will it drive similar? Easy to Mod? Petrol wise? How much should I pay for a decent one?

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 pm 
Smokin em up

DragonsSmile wrote:
Allright, Unfortunantly I'm now in the position where I have to sell the Falcon.
I'm considering getting a E or AU series to replace it. Or maybe I can go pick up a 97 Volvo and Slam it to the ground. ( Not really!)

But seriously. Should I get an E series, will it drive similar? Easy to Mod? Petrol wise? How much should I pay for a decent one?

If you don't mind me asking...are you selling it because ur parents need the cash or woteva??....Im supposing so....thats ok, but be careful about downgrading! :) BF's are a very good car. Much more reliable n stuff....as for E-A series - they're ok but more likely to have a few troubles.

E series? well plenty of power - really more than ur ever going to fully need. I've just taken it on a two hr trip...which ive never done b4 but it was awesome ride....(put a smile on my dial :) ) Over taking no problems at all, immediate throttle response.....that big I6 does wonders mate!

Maybe make sure its a manual. - funner, more power etc. Unless you do lots of city driving, an automatic would be better. Petrol Wise? Hmmm... good on the long runs (e.g. cruising 100km/h) but chews through it a bit round town....or it you hold it flat.
Make sure its in good condition and has been serviced otherwise u might start running into troubles with a thrashed car.

Our STOCK el wagon rides fine on 17" wheels for what i would expect of a 15 year old car - but u could probably add swaybars and things like that to improve the ride.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

drewh wrote:
DragonsSmile wrote:

If you don't mind me asking...are you selling it because ur parents need the cash or woteva??....Im supposing so....thats ok, but be careful about downgrading! :) BF's are a very good car. Much more reliable n stuff....as for E-A series - they're ok but more likely to have a few troubles.

E series? well plenty of power - really more than ur ever going to fully need. I've just taken it on a two hr trip...which ive never done b4 but it was awesome ride....(put a smile on my dial :) ) Over taking no problems at all, immediate throttle response.....that big I6 does wonders mate!

Maybe make sure its a manual. - funner, more power etc. Unless you do lots of city driving, an automatic would be better. Petrol Wise? Hmmm... good on the long runs (e.g. cruising 100km/h) but chews through it a bit round town....or it you hold it flat.
Make sure its in good condition and has been serviced otherwise u might start running into troubles with a thrashed car.

Our STOCK el wagon rides fine on 17" wheels for what i would expect of a 15 year old car - but u could probably add swaybars and things like that to improve the ride.

Yeah, unfortunately it's going to fund the trip to the USA.

I'm looking at a few EF XR6's. All manual. They're all under $4000 and stock.
They're easy to mod and can look good with a few minor mods. This site is a great example of some.
I know that the BF will be better all round. But on my P plates, The EL/F will be fine. As it won't do heaps of Km's and wont get flogged.
Something like this: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/craigieb ... 1020277817
OR
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wheelers ... 1018682425

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next