Fordmods Logo

Jewish Garage antics. So Jewish there isnt even a garage! 

Page 3 of 83 [ 1243 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 83  Next

Post subject: Re: MAV50L...............the beast.
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
Nah mate had other stuff happening and am still crook. Not the best weather at the moment to be playing with paint here anyway.
It will be a big job when I start the paint as it will pretty much be going back to bare metal and starting a fresh.
Will get into it when the rego runs out in late July.

Ouch, oh well paint it pink or something crazy! lol

Froudey. You actually do not realise just how close to the truth you are there........................... :D

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Shortys are wicked fun on hill climbs.
Short wheelbase and high centre of gravity means lots of lifting of the front wheels :mrgreen:

Mine was originally going to be a 351 Clevo but my engineer gave me a bum steer and informed me it would not pass emissions on duel fuel which it had to be for me to be happy.
So I sold off the Clevo and bought the windsor only for the engineer to look at his rules and ask me why I didnt put a Clevo in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He stuffed up and mixed his ADR's up between passenger vehicle and commercial and it turns out the Clevo on duel fuel would of been fine........................... :evil:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nah mate cause he worked off the fact the truck is a 90 model he applied 90 model ADR's for a passenger car which is ADR 37C from memory for emissions. A Clevo would never meet that running on tap water! So its straight LPG and a cat convertor or nothing.
But he neglected to look further into the rules.
Being a full chassis commercial vehicle the Maverick was only required to comply with ADR 27C which a black block Clevo will pass as its basically 84 XE emissions. So I could have got away with running aClevo on straight petrol. The Maverick didnt even have a cat convertor from brand new off the showroom floor as it was not required.
Less to be learned is to read the rule book very carefully and exploit it in every manner that suits you and dont trust the knob you are paying $700 to for a certificate to know what he is talking about and get it right.
The Clevo has stacks more torque and would of been much nicer to drive to a point. The advantage of the Windsor but is they dont seem to heat up at extended idling periods like a Clevo does. You do a lot of idling and low speed full load work off road.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Apparantly one of the main causes of Clevo's overheating at idle is there is a coolent bypass plate that punches into the block under the thermostat and most times they have been removed or corroded away.
Have never tried to put a new one in or check it out further as by the time I learnt about it I no longer had a Clevo to get the s**t with the running temps with.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah mate there would be stacks of room for a custom 3 core in the Mav but that then gets it away from what it was put together to do. All the breakable parts are pure factory items for if it ever gets out to Birdsville or the Simpson.
I just wanted all the bits that could break to be items that any bush mechanic could order in and we could fit without adding the hassles of custom made stuff to the list.

With your clevo if the restirctor plate has been removed apparantly most of the hot coolent circulates in the block and only a small amount acctually makes it through the radiator.
Apparantly you can get the plates off evil bay from what I have heard.
You will find more info here
http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/B ... her?t=anon

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well due to the pathetic laws coming in on August 1 and the fact I am driving the beast down to the snow on the first weekend of the laws something had to be done.
Really p****d off that I had built a vehicle to the letter of NSW law but it will be made illegal overnight. So to avoid being even more annoyed and to have some ammo to fight the law with I spent $1600 making the truck legal.
The 35" Mickey Thompson Claws have been pensioned off an replaced with a set of 33" Maxxis muds. The truck rides no where near as well and is actually more uncontrolable with getting power to the ground but they are legal. What a waste!

Also bought a new set of 2" lifted springs , which is ok as I was getting cloise to requiring new springs anyway. With the springs came a nice receipt saying exactly what they were and they are NSW legal at the time of sale. Also it is dated before August 1 so hopefully that will class as my previous proof of compliance.

Pretty p****d off at the moment!!

Will post updates in the ute thread tonight. Going places there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Too depressed to take any pics of it at the moment.
The legality is a technicallity. Yes it was legal to what the laws were at the time so those parts of the vehicle were not engineered because seeing as though they fell within the guidelines they were actually not engineerable............grey area that doesnt make sence.
It is only vehicles that are engineered that will remain legal , the rest will not be.
Its all s**t.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Too depressed to take any pics of it at the moment.
The legality is a technicallity. Yes it was legal to what the laws were at the time so those parts of the vehicle were not engineered because seeing as though they fell within the guidelines they were actually not engineerable............grey area that doesnt make sence.
It is only vehicles that are engineered that will remain legal , the rest will not be.
Its all s**t.

Did you refit the 35's and lifted back up after the law was given the flick?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Law has not been given the flick yet as such. It has been put on the back burner for further consultation.
It has all new springs in it and 33's on it now. It actually drives much nicer and is not like trying to control a drunk shopping trolley.
Im actually pretty happy with it as it is at the moment. It has been pushed back to a daily driver as the ute is pulled apart.
Will wait until the dust settles and see what happens. Will either leave it as it is or go real silly........................

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Being a full chassis commercial vehicle the Maverick was only required to comply with ADR 27C which a black block Clevo will pass as its basically 84 XE emissions. So I could have got away with running aClevo on straight petrol. The Maverick didnt even have a cat convertor from brand new off the showroom floor as it was not required..

Do you know what year this changed? I would love to use the chassis/drive line for a conversion of sorts.

I love the GQ chassis/driveline as I worked on them for years, 4.2 petrol/diesel gearbox is stronger than anything Toyota had to offer, except for the tray backs (apparently even bigger, I didn't notice) the diffs were the same for 4.2L diesel/petrol,2.8TD and RB30, which is still probably better than anything Toyota have to offer in live axle.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Law has not been given the flick yet as such. It has been put on the back burner for further consultation.
It has all new springs in it and 33's on it now. It actually drives much nicer and is not like trying to control a drunk shopping trolley.
Im actually pretty happy with it as it is at the moment. It has been pushed back to a daily driver as the ute is pulled apart.
Will wait until the dust settles and see what happens. Will either leave it as it is or go real silly........................

I have to get 31's, flares, spacers and coil/torsion bar lift done fairly soon to the Deli just in case the d**k go with something similar again, we are only after more clearance for the beach, no problem on the actual beach, just chewed up entrances turns it into a sand plough and end up not getting on or not being able to get off. Now I hope they don't screw with engine conversion too.

Post subject: Re: MAV50L...............the beast.Is it dead?
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Time to drag this old chestnut up.
Finally got around to getting an Optima battery for it for the secondary battery and sorted a couple of little things and was really enjoying driving it again.
I fell back in love with the old girl and decided that it wasnt going anywhere and was no longer for sale.
Then this morning well s**t happened.

Was driving to a training course at Campbelltown. Was tootling down The Northern Road minding my own business when some stupid old bat in a new Honda Civic decided to pull out from the side street without looking. She was hit by an oncoming Camry which spun the Civic around across my side of the road at a 90 degree angle to me.
I had about 15m to pull up.
A 2 tonne 4x4 on muds at 60km/h DOES NOT pull up in the space of 15m!
Yeah I T boned the Civic.
No one was majorly hurt luckily but the C pillar of the Civic got pushed in about 18" and her rear wheel actually come far enough under the truck to take chucnks out of my diff guard and front diff.
The civic was towed away as it was f**k and I managed to drive mine off.
Did my day at work , come home and assessed the damage properly.
The bullbar is actually pushed back into the bonnet and front guards , the body has moved on the chassis about 8mm , the front rails look bent and the doors no longer open and close as good as they used to.
Dunno whats going to happen but the bell may be tolling for the old girl in her current state.
Have to take it to be assessed tomorrow so will see what happens but all in all she is pretty rooted.
Luckilythe police arrived atthe accident , found me at fault in no way at all and charged the 50 year old lady in the Civic. Its a not at fault accident and I have contacted her insurance company and am dealing with them direct.
Just have to see what happens.
SO now I have a ute pulled apart and a f**k 4x4! Just as I was going to go camping for the long weekend.
What the f**k can possibly go wrong next!
Will get some pics of the damage but Im pretty upset at the moment.
It really hit me today the amount of time , effort , blood sweat and tears me and Dad put into the truck over time for it to be wrecked by some idiot.
Im off now to have a Jack...............................

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

so now youll get an insurance payout...i guess ull come out ahead

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
so now youll get an insurance payout...i guess ull come out ahead

No wear near come out ahead. Much more money has been spent on it then the insurance payout will be worth.
Then money and time has to be spent all over again sorting something new out.
Putting something like this together is a lot more involved then spending a Saturday arvo fitting some springs and wheels.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

they will offer u the chance to buy it back at the highest price they get offered from the wreckers....

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 83  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 83  Next