Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 4 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

KWIKXR wrote:

Any ideas on how much it costs roughly to get diff gears installed?

lol dont ask me....where i take my car for diff work, its never cheap, but they seem to do good work. Its costing me $1050 to get reco LSD fitted with new bearings, along with diff gears that i supply, plus new bearings for the pinion :| ... so all up with my $200 diff gears, its gonna cost me $1250 for 2nd hand stuff inc fitting haha

To buy new, your looking at $550 for new LSD, plus $640 for new 4.11's, so thats $1200 just in parts :shock:

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Lol just getting an estimate on what the prices are like across the ditch :)

I'll be taking mine in to get done so i better start saving. $550 isnt bad for a new LSD too, ive been quoted about the same price for a second hand one in good condition but reconditioned so for a new one i'll probably be looking at $600+ lol

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Hey fordfairmont, What LSD do you have in there now? was it a 3.7 something? I was thinking about the 3.45 but have been interested in finding out about that 3.7. I might be barking up the wrong tree because I cant remember the thread where I read it. But if that is the diff you have or had, how is it? is the ratio to high, or was it good?

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Oh and sorry KWIKXR I have just read your thread, and your car looks good mate.

Keep up the good work

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yes ive got 3.73's behind an auto, and it goes ok. In my opinion Ford shouldve given all the auto equipped gli's and futura's 3.45 ratio as standard, and 3.73's for the Xr6' and Ghia's.

however its not enough i reckon to shorten the 1st gear, so 4.11's are going in. Accodring to drag racing calculators, 4.55 would be ideal behind the auto, and you would probably do a 0-100 run at the end of 2nd gear

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

joshie007 wrote:
Hey fordfairmont, What LSD do you have in there now? was it a 3.7 something? I was thinking about the 3.45 but have been interested in finding out about that 3.7. I might be barking up the wrong tree because I cant remember the thread where I read it. But if that is the diff you have or had, how is it? is the ratio to high, or was it good?

Cheers

Josh

He has 3.73 gears in a single pegger.

Fordfairmont, did you sell the ghia? Interior looks very familiar :P

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

FordFairmont wrote:
yes ive got 3.73's behind an auto, and it goes ok. In my opinion Ford shouldve given all the auto equipped gli's and futura's 3.45 ratio as standard, and 3.73's for the Xr6' and Ghia's.

however its not enough i reckon to shorten the 1st gear, so 4.11's are going in. Accodring to drag racing calculators, 4.55 would be ideal behind the auto, and you would probably do a 0-100 run at the end of 2nd gear

Sounds awesome mate, im just thinking about my lane. After the new motor and T5 goes in, I would like to look at getting a diff. Did you have the 3.73's in the mont when the T5 was in?

How did they go behind the T5?

Sorry KWIKXR im hijacking your thread!

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Haha Joshie007 its no problem mate, im learning something here about 3.7's, 4.11's etc so this is a good thing :mrgreen: will come in handy if i change to 3.9's in the future which may be a possibility by the looks of things

AFAIK, FordFairmont had 3.7's in the diff when the T5 was in, so id imagine first gear would be pretty short especially when the t5 he had was out of an EA? So first gear is pretty short already being out of an EA as it had a shorter ratio or something and with the added bonus of the 3.7s id imagine you'd be changing into second at around the 60-65k mark?

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Christmas came earlier this year :mrgreen:

Picked up the diff gears, and was suprised to see how good a condition they were in, the teeth all in good shape, and very clean, the bearing on the pinion is next to new as well, the owner said its done less than 200kms so im over the moon about that, not bad for $131.00 :)

3.45's
Attachment:
P1000602 (Medium).JPG

Pinion Gear and bearing
Attachment:
P1000605 (Medium).JPG

Lol rang around for quotes to get them fitted when i got back home, does $550 installed sound about right? Lol im thinking thats a bit rich but 2 different places quoted that and thats without any bearings. Although id rather pay the money to get it done properly.

Also went to pick a part and picked up another throttlebody which might come in handy if i decide to get it bored out, ive also got an issue with revs hanging/sticky throttle at the moment so i wanna try swapping out the ISC and see if it fixes it, have tried cleaning it out and it helps for a little while but comes back fast. Lol i pulled the throttlebody off with the ISC and TPS still attached, walked up to the counter where you pay and the lady goes whats that? Oh just the throttlebody, haha she took my word for it and i walked out with only paying for the throttlebody which was $30. Got the TPS and ISC for free and they usually charge $21 each being electrical so that was a good saving. Not to mention the pocket full of dash bulbs and holders which i had also aquired during my time there :mrgreen:

Attachment:
P1000606 (Medium).JPG

Attachment:
P1000601 (Medium).JPG

And now ive just got a hold of these bad muthas in the post today :twisted:

Tinted headlight covers
Attachment:
P1000607 (Medium).JPG

Should go alright on the Fairmont front end, also will fix up my s**t lights :)

Now to decide whether to tint the orange repeaters or delete them? And wait for my Blue LED t5's and white LED festoon bulb to arrive in the post

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by KWIKXR on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

You gotta love self serve wreckers like that :D

I want headlight covers! Just clear ones though....

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Just did a trial fit of the covers to see what it looks like, they could of covered up the headlight a bit more round the edge near the grill and round the top of the indicator but its not that bad and i reckon they look alright darkens up the front end a lot, it will do for now until my new headlights are purchased and installed lol better start saving for the $300+ its gonna set me back
Attachment:
P1000609 (Medium).JPG

Park lights on, need to throw my white LED's back in i think
Attachment:
P1000612 (Medium).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

We don't have the option of deleting the side repeaters here in Aus. They have to stay as they were required by the Australian Design Rules. You should check with your NZ regulators re any rules and regs before removing them.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

BenJ wrote:
We don't have the option of deleting the side repeaters here in Aus. They have to stay as they were required by the Australian Design Rules. You should check with your NZ regulators re any rules and regs before removing them.

BenJ

Thanks BenJ, will definately look into that before i go ahead with doing anything. If i do go ahead though i will have to make it look very standard looking. The only reason i am considering doing it is it is very hard to find clear repeaters in good condition or in pairs :lol: , i could tint the original orange ones but i havent been able to find any of the NightShade stuff anywhere, repco, supercheap etc dont even have it.

But knowing NZ's rules and regs anyone could get away with removing repeaters i reckon, even cat converters arent compulsory on vehicles over here :roll: although i think they are bringing in a new law for the later model cars where they must be fitted with one

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The Clear Side repeaters were only available on EL/NF2/NL Ghia's, and only as part of the side mold on the guard. The other cars had a different shaped repeater and of course was orange. Fairmonts also had the repeater as part of the mold, and were orange.

They are very difficult to find as there were not many around in the first place. I was lucky enough to get my pair from a car at the wreckers. They often sell on Ebay for over the $100 mark.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Quote:
They are very difficult to find as there were not many around in the first place. I was lucky enough to get my pair from a car at the wreckers. They often sell on Ebay for over the $100 mark.

Very true indeed!! I did manage finding a set off an NL but the owner said that the lenses had a small crack in each one after pulling them off, im not to sure how he managed to do that though, he offered them to me for $35 but then didnt want to sell them as they were broken. Still in search of some if i can get them for a good price though but if not i'll resort to deleting them or tinting, the orange lenses really look terrible right now on the Mont, they stand out badly.

Would be a whole lot easier if i had an EB/ED though, i could use some AU ones which would have better availability than ones for the EF/EL's

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 110  Next