Fordmods Logo

MAD's EL Ghia 

Page 3 of 12 [ 167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: MAD's EL Ghia
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

In recent news, my car was rear ended by a nice Mercedes driver, not massive damage, but enough that it was close to being a total loss. Thankfully Trev from Trev's Autobody could see that the redbook value did not represent the true value of the car and when the assessor viewed it Trev pointed this out. So after some carsales checks they were more than happy for him to go ahead with the repairs. Trev being a Ford man possibly helped a little too.

The car is all fixed from that now. Upon further inspection when I delivered the car they found a small crease in the boot floor. Thankfully it wasnt bad enough to worry about anything else.
I need to give massive thanks to Trev from Trevs Autobody in Hallam. He did fantastic work, much better than I was expecting. He obviously takes pride in his work and is enthusiastic about fixing cars the way they should be fixed.

I also got some new photos from the last AFF Narre Warren mini meet and cruise. (Thanks Pearly, great shots as always.)

And here's a little 'feature' I added while making these lights. I can change between red and white, depending on who is around at the time. :polcar
In case anyone is wondering. They are not my parkers, I wired them to a separate switch for show purposes only.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Absolutely stunning mate, all class. I give you an A++++ :D

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, PITA to have someone bend the car for you.

It's great when somebody with talent fixes the damage - but I guess if it was straight and original before then still you'd like to turn back time.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Absolutely stunning mate, all class. I give you an A++++ :D
Thanks.

snap0964 wrote:
Yeah, PITA to have someone bend the car for you.

It's great when somebody with talent fixes the damage - but I guess if it was straight and original before then still you'd like to turn back time.
Yeah I was fairly shattered when it happened, but upon inspecting the wheel arches and boot floor, I realised there was a good chance of it surviving. That made me happy again. Of course, I'd turn back time if I had the option though.

The only plus is that I ended up with a rear bar in better condition than it was beforehand. The top surface of it looked like it had angle grinding dust on it. And the whole car was given a cut & polish.

The boot takes a little more effort to close than it used to and the skin has separated from the frame so it makes a bit of a hollow noise when you close it, but I've got some sound deadener, which I was going to apply anyway, to fix that.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Looks immaculate dude!! Shame to hear about the incident, good to hear that a top notch job was done to repair it 8-)

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '96 EL Ford Fairmonth Ghia.

QLD, Australia

Looks very clean and tidy there. I'm very impressed and have been constantly checking to see any updates. lol. Anything happening with the car in the near future? Don't suppose you'd like to share how you did your custom cluster and and Projection lights? :)

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks. I have plans, but I like to keep them to myself until I've done them, no point bragging about something that isn't done. Obviously I still need to finish my wheels.

I got the car tuned again on the weekend. Pulled 151kw. This is with the cam set as per the manufacturers specs. The cam was initially set a little retarded which bought the power on a little later. With it this way, it has boosted the low end and mid-range quite a bit. Much better for daily driving.

I didn't take any photos of the mods I had to do to fit the projectors. Luckily I still have the first 'trial' reflector that I cut up. There were some minor changes, but mostly this is how it ended up. This is all I've got unfortunately.

There's plenty of threads on the cluster modification here if you search a little.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '96 EL Ford Fairmonth Ghia.

QLD, Australia

Thanks for info. Lookin forward to seeing how the wheels look when they're done; any idea when you'll finish them up? How'd you manage getting the lines from the lenses? Did they give you much trouble?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you read through my thread about the retrofit, you'll begin to understand how much trouble they gave me.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Just saw the thread...really like the progress mate :).

Not much of a fan of orange lights for the dash, but definite improvement with white light interior lighting. Haven't seen many pictures of anyone doing it and always wondered how it looked. I was meaning to change the bulbs in the interior but laziness prevails...however trip computer, cluster and CC all have white light which I think was a pretty good improvement over the stock.

Also the cluster print out is awesome...the grey in the stock is rather dull now that you mention it. I envy your motivation...mine has died as of late and hopefully seeing people modify theirs might give me the extra boost to get started again.

Keep it up :)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've done blue and white on my wifes car (which is now back to stock) and now orange for my car.
I liked the white, but the daytime readability was lacking, and it's also a bit of laziness on my behalf because using orange lighting meant I didnt ned to remove any of the orange filters on the LCD's.
I also find night driving with the orange dashlights much better.

I like doing the little mods, the things that personalise it to my taste. Also things that dont require a shed cause I dont have one.

I dont know if you would call it motivation. It's taken nearly three years to do what i've done. :oops:
Perserverance would maybe be a better description :lol:

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
I've done blue and white on my wifes car (which is now back to stock) and now orange for my car.
I liked the white, but the daytime readability was lacking, and it's also a bit of laziness on my behalf because using orange lighting meant I didnt ned to remove any of the orange filters on the LCD's.
I also find night driving with the orange dashlights much better.

I like doing the little mods, the things that personalise it to my taste. Also things that dont require a shed cause I dont have one.

I dont know if you would call it motivation. It's taken nearly three years to do what i've done. :oops:
Perserverance would maybe be a better description :lol:

haha, perserverance/motivation, same thing. I seem to do half a*** attempts at things :P. I know what you mean by not removing the filter behind the LCDs...too much effort for the cluster so I didn't do it haha.

Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeves :)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeves :)
Me either... :lol:

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A little update.

I was trolling ebay and spotted these wheels. I haven't seen them before, so that attracted me to them.

Two tryes are down to the belts, so I have only tried them in the driveway so far.

I'm not sure how I feel about them. I like the look but when I picked them up they were fairly corroded. ie: They look good from far, but they're far from good.

Apparently no-one in Australia can rechrome aluminim wheels, and it probably wouldn't be worth the cost either. So I've thought I might get the chrome stripped off then and just give them a coat of paint.

I'm still yet to finish my other wheels, I need a way to slow down the contraption I made to spin the wheel. Sand paper is not working so well at those speeds.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: XR Falcon ute, EL Futura

QLD, Australia

Nice looking car you got there mate...coming along nicely.

If you want to rechrome your alloys, try http://www.superchrome.com.au/ ...they do rechroming of alloy truck wheels, used them to get a customers rims done on his Mack, when I used to work at a tyre store...they do nice work.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 12  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next