Fordmods Logo

Marks DOHC Barra 240 Turbo EL Fairmont Ghia 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Marks DOHC Barra 240 Turbo EL Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

Sooooooo! I've been putting this off for ages so i thought i would finally get onto it and put up a build thread about my EL ghia and some of the transformations that has occurred! :D

The car now has a BA turbo motor in it but its still a work in progress and ill eventually get up to that stage

Originality i had a dark blue EF fairmont, was a great car but with over 300 xxx on the clock it was time to go! So about a year ago i went in search of a new E-series. Always wanted a Ghia!

I found one in Melbourne with 170 xxx km on it, burgundy in colour and most importantly it had a sunroof so that sealed the deal for me!!! :D Was in pretty average condition. Exterior was pretty good but the interior was in need of some love. The usual sagging roof lining, ruined leather seats ect ect!

So i embarked on a journey driving it from Melbourne to Newcastle. Somehow it made the journey with no struggles. It had an engine replacement at some stage so had a typical EL motor not the tickford :(

Whether someone saw it was cheaper to replace the engine instead of doing the head gasket! if that was the reason who knows!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Last edited by fairmont1996 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Marks DOHC Barra 240 Turbo EL Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The car went through a few things over next few months. The next step it took was i put the AU XR motor from my EF in to give it a new lease of life. So a mate of mine over a period of about 3-4 days swapped the engines over and got everything running!

Definitely learn a huge amount about these cars when you swap and engine over!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I didn't really do a lot to the car at the start of this year. Main things were getting it up and running to an acceptable standard! Next thing i had on the list was to get the windows tinted. One thing i've always wanted but never got around to it. So went down to ALTAPAC and $300 later i came out with this! Was initially going to go with 35% but its just no where near dark enough :cry: So opted to get 20% which definitely looked much better, but at the same time not to dark to draw attention!

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

So here's the s**t engine that the old girl had! then this is what i ended up with after the engine swap! was a decent upgrade as far as 'low performance engines' :D

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The old EL engine!

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

fairmont1996 wrote:
The old EL engine!

who is that sexy young specimin in the picture

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

have you removed the rest of the gas? i think we didnt plug it all back in with the new engine did we?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:
The old EL engine!

who is that sexy young specimin in the picture

HAHAHAHA i knew you'd see it! :P
Thought i better put a thread up haha.

Hows the BF??????? :D

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
have you removed the rest of the gas? i think we didnt plug it all back in with the new engine did we?

Nah the tank and all that crap got removed! The system was pretty old and dodgy anyway.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Random photoshoot :roll:

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

it still runs, just use it for regular commuting to work,
looking for another fourby to drive on weekends, something about putting a car on its side in the mud really gets me tight in the pants :lol:

did you end up getting that au engine running decent in the el? i know the base ignition timing was set right but it just had no go in it until almost the red line, made me think the mechanic that done the cam advanced it too far when he drilled a hole in the cam gear and moved it :roll:

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

:D :DSo i always wanted a ticky kit! I just couldn't get myself to spend the big bucks they seem to fetch for the genuine ones these days :cry: Soooooo surfing ebay i managed to score this and it was also within driving distance which was a huge bonus! Only problem was it was fibreglass, and they never line up properly ..... But i never actually ended up installing it. It just sat around for months.

The trouble was most panel beaters refused to paint it :x As soon as you tell them you want a body kit painted they turn you away. Got quoted by one guy $1200! I was like :shock:

But i've got my genuine kit now! Ended up buying a spare car for $600 with a kit and sold mine its all sorted now. Just need to get it painted (:

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
it still runs, just use it for regular commuting to work,
looking for another fourby to drive on weekends, something about putting a car on its side in the mud really gets me tight in the pants :lol:

did you end up getting that au engine running decent in the el? i know the base ignition timing was set right but it just had no go in it until almost the red line, made me think the mechanic that done the cam advanced it too far when he drilled a hole in the cam gear and moved it :roll:

Nah it never ran right :( so underpowered! Did a lot to my ego when you pull up next to like a granny in a old camry and she dragged you off! it was so sluggish! hahaha One performance guy said i need an aftermarket ECU. But wasn't worth it for the gains you'd get!

what sort of 4B are you looking for? :D HUGEEEEE TYRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

So for a long time i was always getting water and heaps of condensation in my bloody boot! p****d me off so much because i had my amps and subs and all sorts in there and they would always get damp, there would be water attaching to the metal and i had no idea where it came from!
Thought my car could have a ghost living in it haha! :D
I got told to check all the boot seals and anything that had access to the outside and i did but nothing seemed be leaking in any of those places.

I managed to nail it down to water coming out from the two folds of metal in the corner by the boot hinges. But the next question!!! How is it getting there??? After a lot of research i narrowed it down to be the window actually leaking behind the factory seal.

So I booked in a guy to come around and re-seal it. He was very sceptical about what i told him and said he had never heard of it happening before. Long story short, out comes the air compressor and a quick squirt of air in the suspect area, bammmmmm... water starts squirting out! Soooooo the factory seal had let go!!!!

Is this common?????

$150 later it was all sealed up! well worth the money i say (:
Was such a pain the a**.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

it didnt need an aftermarket ecu, the car ran fine, it just didnt have power at all, how did it go on fuel compared to the ef with the same motor?
i almost bought a crashed pajero today but the guy said it was leaking oil from the front hub, the hub wouldnt have oil in it which tells me the diff was probably damaged causing the leak, it was only 1400 ono with 5 months rego and new 31 inch mud tyres and cosmetically only needed 2 doors and a rim, i wouldve offered 1000 if it didnt damage the diff

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next