Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Matthew's EL Sapphire
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

steroidfrog wrote:
Howdy, I live in a small town between Ballarat and Melton, lovely place called Bacchus Marsh.

Yeah I was poking around you're thread the other night, was one of the cars that made me decide to have a crack at mine. Very nice car you have there :D

Glad I provided some inspiration :D

Yep I have heard of Bacchus Marsh have only been there as kid I think, and the place I mentioned would be a fair way out from where you are.

Also with the door carpets I clean mine along with the floor carpets with this carpet cleaner in a can.... I'll look for it in the shed tomorrow it seems to do the trick in cleaning them, but mine aren't too filthy to begin with. I'll report back tomorrow.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 09 FG XR6 N/A

VIC, Australia

Appears as if my girlfriend has taken the memory card from my camera for whatever reason so heres a poor quality photo from my phone.

The drive side door handle has a pretty bad build up of dirt and grime, is there a soft degreaser or cleaning product I could use on the interior.

This is from someone putting on a sticker off a bottle which I didn't notice until late the next day. Tried a few products to get it off, anyone got ideas?

My engine bay is pretty poorly maintained. How do I go about giving it a good clean, was down at the local car wash the other day and this guy was spraying the s**t out of his.

Opinions on bonnet and headlight protectors? Don't see a lot of people with them.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

my bonnet protector is broken otherwise id have it on the car, purely because i want it to look grandpa spec, i also put my headlight protectors on for the extra grandpaspec lol, only so no body thinks im a p plater hoon when im driving it, but soon ill pull it all off and start modding the car, its up to you, take it all off and have a look at it without, may like it either way, its all up to your own thoughts on it

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok mate so had a look for the carpets I used a can of Kittens Interior Cleaner...works well with the little scrubber on the lid.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Kitten-Interior-Cleaner-Gpnc_647--37875965.htm

For the inside arm rest and console lid I had the same issue with build up of grime..first try a little bit of water on a clothe, then try some Mothers Plastic Polish rub that on then buff it off and if you have some Armor All or something just to give it a bit of shine and a coating.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mothers/plastic_polish

As for the engine bay just get some rags, water, Armor all or something equivalent (I'm sure there are more products for engine bay parts) and just give things you want a bit of a clean up. You could also take the rocker cover off and give that a simple clean and paint up, same for the coolant bottle (just leave it in place and cover surrounding areas) paint it, could paint the washer reservoir. Doesn't look too bad overall just needs and hour of cleaning up.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cheers for the reply mate, I spent some time in autobarn and supercheap today checking out some products I swear I looked at the exact ones you mentioned a few times. Guess I'll grab some on Friday before work. Took off the bonnet protector today, looks much better.

However theres a big build up of dirt around the stickytape that was protecting the bonnet from the shield rubbing. I'm not too handy with paints, whats the best way to handle it? Grab a can of paint and go over or try to cut and buff it out?

I also picked up a set of EF Tail lights for $70. Which look rather good, huge improvement over the EL ones. Just curious if I have to change the indicator bulbs to Amber or can they stay clear? Just don't want to get a fine for something stupid like that.

They surprised me how easy they were to change.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Indicators must be Amber Globes with the EF Clear lens.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Indicators must be Amber Globes with the EF Clear lens.

Thanks boss. Better head down after work and collect some before the blues get me.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahh glad my suggestions where of help, yep so when you get a chance try them out.
As for the paint work on the body I am not too handy with that myself either, if I was you I would take it to one of those car was places that do a wash and wax or polish and tell them to focus on that area, they might be able to buff it out.... I was looking at places like this http://www.washnshop.com/ There might be something similar to you.But others on here I'm sure might have better home solutions for you.

Nice look with the EF tail lights too ! I was going to do that with mine as Im sick of the EL ones, just going to use my parents tail lights off their EF. But you are right you will have to change the globes for those tail lights, probably is illegal and would look a bit d**k with it just flashing white. However you won't be able to use the orange EF globes as I think they differ on their globe base between the EF and EL but check out some auto places and they should stock them.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

be holders for the tail lights are the same between EF & EL.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh so they don't differ? That makes it even easier :D

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The holders for the blinker globes are actually different between EF and EL.
The EF harness but will clip stright in to the EL so just grab the rear EF harness from the wreckers.
A clear blinker globe has straight pins where the orange globe ones have offset pins.
Had to do the exact same thing when we fitted EF taillights to the missus's EL XR8.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Damn I thought I would have to change the base of them around, oh well it's not that bad.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
The holders for the blinker globes are actually different between EF and EL.
The EF harness but will clip stright in to the EL so just grab the rear EF harness from the wreckers.
A clear blinker globe has straight pins where the orange globe ones have offset pins.
Had to do the exact same thing when we fitted EF taillights to the missus's EL XR8.

There appears to be 2 amber type globes, just checked my spares and one that I checked earlier is straight and the rest are offset like you just said Matt. Wonder where the odd one came from? Check Auto shops and see if there are 2 types? Otherwise just change the harness like Matt said. Sorry I have missinformed you.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The other way to do it is just get a bottle of amber lense dye and paint your standard clear globes.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Globes are ELB 101 A amber $4.65 each but I guess they would be cheaper at Super-cheap.
And, replacement rear wiring harnesses for the tail lamps are exactly the same, EF 13410 A $64.00 each. The Fairlane/LTD ones were different.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next