Fordmods Logo

MK IV 

Page 12 of 15 [ 224 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post subject: Re: MKIII
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Had abit of a play with the xr8 today, i ended up swaping the pcv out for a new metal one as the plastic one had broken and the valve was nolonger sitting in there.

Having a broken pcv was constantly sucking up oil at wot and caused the idle to sit just over 1000rpm, now with the new metal one it idles at a factory mandated 700 odd rpm.

Quick hand timing with a stop watch with half a tank of fuel and just nailing the throttle from a dead stop i have recorded

0-60/3.26
0-80/4.78
0-100/6.9

Now i know the stop watch isnt as accurate as the qh and the drag strip but it gives me a rough idea as when i first bought the car thats how i timed it before i installed the qh and used its datalogging functions.

Some how ive also lost my intake snorkel so car was timed without that either, will look at getting a ba xr8 snorkel or the xr6 turbo one.

When i can ill muck around with the stall point and see how much faster i can get it.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

so after todays shake down run did it inspire you to get the stop watch out... :)

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

HA ha yes it did mate, i know you hadnt been in the car before the head swap but it has made a big difference :D :D .

Ive been amped all afternoon mate so i had to test it to see.

Still jelly at your xr8 tho.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So, when are YOU going to get the 18" FG wheels huh? :D

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

As good as they look mate ill be after some d1r's or maybe something alittle lighter.

With how much its been pissing down i doubt wsid will be open on wednesday and even if it is my hopes wont be up for any decent traction.

Had a play around with stalling it up and i can get it bang on 2300rpm and take off with some slight wheelspin dead cold and on a damp s**t surface, i will need to check tyre pressure's but with a little burnout these bad boys get so sticky it picks up all the rocks and s**t off the road.

If i try to kick it down it wont do it, it just stays in third so i think i didnt route the throttle cable properly or its getting caught on something as when i shift it manualy its perfect no problem.

Untuned it does feel alittle doughy off the mark which i put down to torque reduction strategies but the difference comepared to the gt40p's when it hits 3000rpm is night and day, it just never ever pulled like that ever.

With the gt40p's it would feel laggy down low but it slowly reved up and didnt feel like it made any real power, with the tune on the gt40p's (timing added with reduction strategies removed) it had so much low end torque and mid range power over stock but once you got going it didnt really pull much harder than before tune.

Unfortunatly my last run down at wsid didnt show the full potential of the work i had done, couldnt get traction off the line to save my life it was either poor track and or the s**t primewells that i had on it.

Another thing letting it down was the valve springs, after 4000rpm they were so soft it was floating from that rpm onwards and what also didnt help was it would shift up after 5600rpm.

In my datalogs a few days prior to that night i could see what i thought was valve float but the car had only ever been tested upto 100kmh, at the drags shifting from 2nd to third sounded so bad i thought it was going to fail on me right then and there...

Its screaming for timing and knowing how much the std tune is being finger banged by torque reduction strategies its making me twitchy... want to put QH in and have some fun.

If its rained out over the next few weeks ill just put it in and be done with it.

Might take it out to V&E for a dyno run too.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Tomorrow i drop the car off to get a dual 2.5'' cats back exhaust, it will finally be 100% legal and ready to get its pink slip.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

WARMACHINE wrote:
Tomorrow I drop the car off to get a dual 2.5'' cats back exhaust, it will finally be 100% legal and ready to get its pink slip.

What are you getting? Stainless? :D

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I was leaning toward stainless but ive got rego this week and theres just not enough edith cowan's in the wallet.

Also the car didnt have any horns when i bought it so i took the one out of the eb and put it in behind the frontbar, and i wasnt about to drill my new fibreglass bonnet so i removed the cowling and stuck the washer jets in there.

I took photo's but imageshack is being a penis at the moment and wont let me sign in...

So after i get the exhaust fixed/replaced it will be fully hectik legitz now.

Last edited by WARMACHINE on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

To be doing the exhaust and rego both this week you have more then me in the wallet!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Is true matt but the reaming from the government will mean ill be broke for awhile so my 3.9 diff will sit here longer gathering spiders and lizards.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Found out the rear tyres have 35psi in them and my xr8 has a 5500rpm rev limiter which if your not careful you can hit real easily...

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok exhaust is on and im happy with the pick up in low end torque, now it doesnt feel doughy off the mark (torque reduction is still fingering my tune).

Sound at idle is very quite but when you get up it the sound is alittle unique, overall im pretty happy with it and it feels like it compliments the heads.

So now its legit see if i can get it regoed tomorrow.

Post subject: MKIII dead?
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pretty much spent the whole day driving the car, got it regoed which was awesome even met 93EB at the rta and we even had a chat over some subway.

The car pretty much hasnt missed a beat since i fixed the breather issue.

Well i was making my way home and as i drove past the local 7/11 the car started to make this loud knocking noise.

It got louder with rpms :roll: .

Got home and pulled the upper off and made my way to the rockers, all looked good nothing wrong there :roll:

I decided to start turning the motor over by hand and when i did the engine basicly seized up :x .

I thought hey what if its something catching on the valves... so i started removing rockers one by one turning the motor over but its not the valves.

I can turn the motor backwards and eventually get to were it locks up again, if i use the strenght of thor i can get it to move past that point but tbh i think its well and truly f**k.

Bottem end dead, mk3 dead.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bugger. :(

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Gees what caused that ? Were you giving it curry after you left ? That sounded nice and the engine was running smooth before you left subway :shock:
What a shame :(

Was good to bump into you guys also. We had a great chat :)
Ooh Thanks for the loan at the RTA :wink:

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 15  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next