Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: My 1994 ED Falcon Futura W.I.P
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2003 BA Falcon - XTC

NSW, Australia

G'day guys and gals,

My housemate, who goes in this forum by the name PapaSmurf talked me into buying an ED Falcon to replace my 19 year old Suzuki 3 cylinder. So I did. Cost me $230. 1994 model Futura, 6 months out of rego, 347000 odd km on the clock, but it purrs like a kitty. I'm going to do it up (with his help) and make a real machine out of it. But first, let me introduce Eddy, my ED. Yeah ok, probably a lame name, but it seemed to fit.

I don't have any decent side on shots which will show how filthy this thing was when I got it home. But this will give you an idea. Paint was peeling, wheels looked rusty (and I'm pretty sure there is mould on them). Windows have bits of leaves and bottle brush stuck between the weather strip mold and the glass, leaves in the grilled below the front windshield, and caked mud and dirt in the track around the boot. I don't have any images of the dirt, but there was a LOT of it. Inside the car was filthy, old cigarette butts, McDonalds, dirt, chewing gum, you name it. On the upside, I found about 12 bucks change in the console. LOL.

It took about 5 hours for us to clean it and get it running. When we finally pulled stumps, here's how Eddy was looking:

There's still a lot of cleaning to be done both inside and out, and that rear bumper needs to be removed and reset in place before I can get a blueslip. The electric mirrors aren't working, and the battery will not hold its charge. It had to be jump started and after running for twenty minutes, testing the headlamps killed it stone dead. The driver's side headlamp reflector needs replacing due to yellowing and peeling off of reflective material.

After revving it a bit and closing up for the night,we discovered quite an oil leak underneath. Further inspection should let us know if it is from the pressure switch, the oil filter, or from the sump. Once that's done, I should be right for a blue slip.

Now, thats what NEEDS to be looked at, here's what I want to do (in no particular order). Some may never happen, but having dreams means having something to strive for:

1. Electric Windows - Thankfully, EF/EL parts will fit for this job.
2. Front and Fender indicators - I don't like the amber lenses. I want to replace the fronts with the XR variant, and the side one with an AU313K309A. That's a clear lens with an amber cover, which uses a clear bulb. Am torn on which way to place them (pointing forwards or back)
3. Rear Lamps - I would like to replace the rear lamps with clear lenses with coloured bulbs. Maybe move the reverse lamps into the new units. Haven't decided yet.
4. Front bumper mold - repainted to match the door molds
5. Wheels - put 17 inch wheels on. The ones on the car now are not easy to clean.
6. I don't like the steering wheel so I would like to replace it with a BA XR steering wheel, adjusting the cruise control as appropriate.
7. Lower at the back.
8. The aerial was snapped off at some point so it needs to be replaced.
9. I have a ZC Escape CD radio that I would like to put in in place of the radio tape deck currently in the car. Brand spanker, it is, too.

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of them right now. LOL.

Any ideas? :)

Meet Monty
My BA Falcon.

Post subject: Re: My 1994 ED Falcon Futura W.I.P
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

MiniSmurf wrote:
Now, thats what NEEDS to be looked at, here's what I want to do (in no particular order). Some may never happen, but having dreams means having something to strive for:

Hi, and welcome to Fordmods.

1. Electric Windows - Thankfully, EF/EL parts will fit for this job.

Yes, the electric regulators are the same, but the door looms are different. Does your car have cruise control? If so you have the high spec floor loom, which should include the plug for the power window switch under the console, and the plugs at the base of the A and B pillars for the factory door looms to plug into. Source door looms from an EB or ED Fairmont and they are not too hard to swap over. You will also need the switch panel from the same car.

2. Front and Fender indicators - I don't like the amber lenses. I want to replace the fronts with the XR variant, and the side one with an AU313K309A. That's a clear lens with an amber cover, which uses a clear bulb. Am torn on which way to place them (pointing forwards or back)

I would advise against using XR lights, as they are quite expensive. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay that have replacement clear indicators for sale for around the $50 posted mark. As for the side indicators, put them the correct way round, it is not hard. There is even a doco on how to doit.

3. Rear Lamps - I would like to replace the rear lamps with clear lenses with coloured bulbs. Maybe move the reverse lamps into the new units. Haven't decided yet.

In my opinion, the clear lenses look awful, tacky, and ricey. Up to you in the end though.

4. Front bumper mold - repainted to match the door molds

You can try to paint the front bumper, but the plastic could be that bad that paint won't stick. I had the same issue on my old Red EB. In the end, I sourced a good second EB front bumper, and painted the body colour to match my car.

5. Wheels - put 17 inch wheels on. The ones on the car now are not easy to clean.

Good choice on size. While the ones on the car may not be easy to clean, they are considered to be on of the better styled factory wheels.

6. I don't like the steering wheel so I would like to replace it with a BA XR steering wheel, adjusting the cruise control as appropriate.

Unfortunately, without major mods, the BA wheel will not fit. It is possible to use an aftermarket sports steering wheel, and build some custom switches on a fabricated bracket.

This is the link to my old build thread which has some info on this BenJ's EB Buildup

7. Lower at the back.

Just as long as the car is not lower at the back than the front. I hate that LOL

8. The aerial was snapped off at some point so it needs to be replaced.

Pick N Payless should have plenty of those.

9. I have a ZC Escape CD radio that I would like to put in in place of the radio tape deck currently in the car. Brand spanker, it is, too.

Tunes are good.

I can only suggest you read through a number of threads here in the garage for ideas.

And You and Papasmurf should come down to Liverpool and meet up with us all one Friday night.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Post subject: Update: My 1994 ED Falcon Futura W.I.P
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well, Papa and I discovered that the oil leak was auto transmission fluid leaking from the oil tube which had been rubbing up against the engine mount, causing the hole. Add the line pressure, my car pisses itself. LOL. Not going to be a problem to fix.

I have an XH snorkel waiting to be put on, and I've given up on the BA steering wheel. I've now got my heart set on an EF/EL one so that I can use the cruise control switches a bit more easily, and yes, BenJ, I have cruise. :)

I bought the ER13K309B fender indicator lenses (my first post had the wrong part number, dumb me's misreading of Microcat! LOL). I've put the passenger side one on so far, but had to abandon putting the second one on due to poor light. I put it on with the point towards the rear of the vehicle for the purpose of ease of access. The how to in the resources section has no pictures to explain how to do it the other way. Papa thinks the other way looks better. I've done some PSPing and here is whats there, and what could be done.... I have to admit, I'm torn on this one, I like both looks.

Meet Monty
My BA Falcon.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Same issue with the EF/EL wheel. The EB wheels have a round spline, but the EF/EL has a square peg fitting.

Not a straight fitment at all. And the cruise button in the EF/EL wheel use a different resistor setup than the EB, as well has having slightly different logic and functions.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Looks like a reasonable starting point. The Futura should have a high series loom in it, ,my mums ED Futura does, even tho it doesn't have any power windows, it does have cruise tho. So all the fairmont / ghia stuff should bolt & plug into the futura.

Can i ask what 19yo Suzuki 3cyl it is replacing, was it a hatch, mighty boy, alto or swift 3pot?

If it was a hatch or a mighty boy, shoulda kept it mate, they are cool little car's, and there's not too many around. I've got a mighty boy ute that is a great parts gopher when it's alive. I just picked up my 800cc bottom end from the engine shop, it's got a full rebuild. I'll have it running hopefully in the next few wks, it seems to get me more attention than my EB GT mockup, and that's without fitting my cervo mode sr front bar & the 15x5 mags i have for it. :mrgreen:

I must admit tho, there are plenty of relatively easy mods for the early E series fords, plenty of bits & donor car's around as well. I've done a few mods to mine, been good fun. Like the GT indicators, AU side indicators, lowered, stereo, lpg injection, XH & EA bits for the CAI, full sports exhaust, T5 manual conversion, fit the full leather seats. It had the GT kit & mags when i bought it. 17's are a good choice, especially if they are 7 or 8inch wide, there is a huge range of tyres for them, to suit many budgets. 235/45 R17's for my EB are a lot cheaper than 165/45 R15's for my mighty boy!

Good luck with the build up man, it's always worth it when you get to drive around in it!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

5/9/09 AM Update:

My Suzuki, which I still have for the time being until I can register this one, is a 1991 Suzuki Swift GA. 3 door hatch, 5sp manual. 3 cylinder engine. The reason I am getting rid of it is purely because it struggles to make the trip to Newcastle, my home city, on weekends when I go visit my parents. I need to shift it into 3rd gear to get it up most of the hills. If it weren't for that, I'd keep it, and sadly, I can't afford to keep two cars.

Yesterday, PapaSmurf and I changed the boot and door locks, with the ignition barrell to be done today. Damn non daylight savings *shakes fist*. I also put the drivers side clear indicator lens in and hope today to look at some more of the mechanical stuff. Need a new clip to keep the rear bumber bar cover on, and may be a broken bracket for it too. Not sure though.

5/9/09 PM Update:

PapsSmurf fixed the auto trans line for me using some oil cooler hose and it no loner leaks. He also changed the ignition barrell and shined the wheels for me.
Now the beast needs a new steering wheel lock before I can take it to get a blue slip.

Meet Monty
My BA Falcon.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I have found out since my last post that there may be issues with registering this vehicle. Which is a shame, I was looking forward to driving it. But, I managed to get my hands on a Fairmont which is two weeks younger than this one, so I'm going to do it up and use parts from this car where needed.

More on the new car: http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/meet-monty-t82840.html

Meet Monty
My BA Falcon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]