Fordmods Logo

My 93 Eb S pack, no longer.. 

Page 9 of 9 [ 131 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, fun and games..
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Mitsubishi TE Magna

VIC, Australia

Rooted XG wrote:
*lifts bonnet and starts inspecting motor, lights cigarette in frustration*
BOOM!

pretty much.. would make things simpler

over it at the moment.
the list of what needs fixing is growing :cry:
it now is..
alternator
injectors (overfueling issue on petrol)
waterpump as mine is now badly leaking

well got the auto issue in my sisters nf sorted.
got the old box out and new one in. drives much better now
figured a way to flush the trans cooler lines too. empty bottle on the pressure side of the hardlines and some compressed air worked well enough to blow the majority of the burnt fluid out.

so once i fix my bucket yet again.. i just got to make a start on the other pressing projects
help my other sister get her daewoo on the road so she can get her p's
and make a start by stripping the ltd and piss the shell off and decide whats happening to my camry and magna

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

89S-PACK wrote:
Rooted XG wrote:
*lifts bonnet and starts inspecting motor, lights cigarette in frustration*
BOOM!

pretty much.. would make things simpler

over it at the moment.
the list of what needs fixing is growing :cry:
it now is..
alternator
injectors (overfueling issue on petrol)
waterpump as mine is now badly leaking

well got the auto issue in my sisters nf sorted.
got the old box out and new one in. drives much better now
figured a way to flush the trans cooler lines too. empty bottle on the pressure side of the hardlines and some compressed air worked well enough to blow the majority of the burnt fluid out.

so once i fix my bucket yet again.. i just got to make a start on the other pressing projects
help my other sister get her daewoo on the road so she can get her p's
and make a start by stripping the ltd and piss the shell off and decide whats happening to my camry and magna

well had a cup of concrete and decided to fix the issues.
end of the day i needed to have the car going reliably. as walking in the rain isnt much fun

alternator..
got a secondhandy to tide me over till i get my original reco'd

injectors..
replaced with second hand set lol, but they are better than what i had considering they looked original to the car they did well for the 300,000 they did
fitted a set of new looking ones out of a ef. figured ef motor why not ef injectors?

the originals were leaking badly enough that i could smell fuel at the exhaust, and my economy on petrol was shocking. it would drink just shy just over a 1\4 tank for a 60k trip. freeway driving. got worse in peakhour

since fitting the ef injectors i have gotten 120k's to the same amount of fuel and i'm driving spiritedly :twisted: also got stuck in peakhour on the trip home

Waterpump
fitted a new one. and found the coolant leak :D
it was leaking between the metal shim and gasket. so it was either fitted incorrectly or someone tried to use a secondhand pump
oh well

but it has fixed the running hot issue in traffic :D
my thermo fans are now cycling as per normal. probably wasn't getting the flow of hot coolant near the sensor

so here is hoping i dont need to spend any more on it for a while... i dont think i'll be that lucky :(

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

89S-PACK wrote:
so here is hoping i dont need to spend any more on it for a while... i dont think i'll be that lucky :(

well it only took a week if that to die and nearly leave me stranded.
the second hand alt failed on me when i was about 10k's from home. cbf'd walking to go get the original so i drove it home.
times like theses makes you grateful for buying a decent sized battery

so refitted the original one that overcharges. so i was driving with my lights on to bring it down enough to drive safely.
got another alt as the dead one was under a wreckers warranty :D
decided it would be money well spent recoing it before it went near the car as i'm over pulling the fans out to swap it.

the new one is a bosch unit to suit ef el. only thing that had me interested was.. the reg is external and unbolts like a ea alternator
now the charging issues are gone. and barely drops voltage when the thermo's kick in too

i wonder how it will handle the amp and sub now? :twisted:

new vs old

the new one.. reco'd

installed and working :D

also no oil leaks either as i last washed the engine bay in april for rego

other than that i've started having intermittent rev hang issues :(
i had to bump open the throttle body a touch to suit the better lpg stuff, as it idled way too low on both fuels.
used to hover around 500 rpm. now sits at 900 rpm for lpg and petrol

oh well source a new isc when i cbf'd and funds permit. as it drives just fine unplugged
just a little b**ch when cold starting it. but not bad enough to be too concerned about it

but seems to be getting better after cleaning it with some carby cleaner. but i'm yet to do 100 k's for a ecu relearn as i did it at the same time the reco alternator was fitted, and barely driven the car since.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

well not much has happened to this..

the old quote of fix one thing fix 3 other issues springs to be rather true for me atm.

it was going fine till the davies craig controller decided it was either going to intermittently work or not at all. not ideal in melbournes traffic on a warm day..
so it's been replaced with a custom setup now. and it even works better than what the davies craig setups did.

so now what i'm using is a temp switch in the thermostat housing to switch 2 relays for the fans and i have a diode fitted so the fans turn on with the a\c. and cycle off when the a\c is off.
but the a\c is not switched on if the car comes up to temp.

i guess i'm lucky i dont have climate control then as i had a free spot in the housing

the temp switch opens at 95 degrees and closes at 90 degress.
works well enough for me. and was stopping the running rich issue till the eb found something else to kill.

so some pics of the new setup then.

the switch

spare hole where the climate sensor would be. meh i'm not bothering fitting climate control crap

tight fit with the hose.. but it clears by just :D

diode fun.. i put heatshrink over it after. as i dont fancy stuff earthing out that shouldnt be

back together looking tidy ish

old setup that found its way into the bin

oh and a nice way to test it out. fully loaded trailer.
did not give one bit of trouble even with a few decent hills.
it paid itself off rather quickly. as with the old setup it didnt like towing much for some reasonImage

Last edited by 89S-PACK on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, running rough issues
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

other than the fans giving me greif..
the lpg converter let go. lucky i had a spare in the shed to fit.
next one that blows will be replaced with a new one anyways.

but the eb has thrown a curveball to me. :cry:
running rough intermittently. coming good, then drinking fuel faster i can put it in. and severly down on power.
let it sit or restart it it comes good like nothings wrong.

i put my code reader on it. all what was flagging was a faulty map sensor
swapped out for known good one. fault still there

have since cleared the codes but yet to drive anywhere to see if it logs it again.
hell even fitted my supposedly faulty map to my sisters nf and it drives fine.
only thing i can think of is i have a wiring gremlin somewhere.

it does this on lpg and petrol. and i use known good fuel too. caltex\shell\mobil. learnt my lesson going to bp buying their vile crap in the past

ignition stuff i've either checked or replaced
plugs were out of my egas motor as they'd done maybe 30 thou k's
same for my leads, dizzy cap and rotor button.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Gday Matt, I think I'd be looking at sticking valves/compression problems and such with an intermittent miss like that, maybe the headgasket is starting to go? Do a compression check - I've got a gauge here if u want to borrow it - also maybe a vac leak could explain it? is the timing out of whack somehow?

Gab

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:40 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
Gday Matt, I think I'd be looking at sticking valves/compression problems and such with an intermittent miss like that, maybe the headgasket is starting to go? Do a compression check - I've got a gauge here if u want to borrow it - also maybe a vac leak could explain it? is the timing out of whack somehow?

Gab

with a sticking valve i would expect it to do its party trick on demand. as when the v8 did it. it would show under load.

i dont think it would be the headgasket as apparently it wasnt done long ago before i bought the eb.
and i've done roughly 20 -25 thou in it in about a year and a half.

i'll do a comp test for lol's when i'm up at my parents next week. i don't have the fuel to get up to your place atm gab.

timing.. that thought has crossed my mind.
i'll be borrowing a timing light off kyle hopefully this weekend to rule that out

vac leaks.. have looked for one.
however the running rough isnt at idle typically. at always has had a lopey idle but that may of been to do with the supposedly faulty maf, as its yet to do it again.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

on a another note.. the thought has crossed my mind it could be a failing coil?
as it sorta goes with the running rough when warm and being a right bastard on lpg when warm.

i have the new unit i fitted to the old ghia in the toolbox.. i might fit that when it cools down some outside and see if its the culprit.
its just going to suck getting under there :(

the replacement i have is one of these..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignition-Coi ... 2c71116bf6

so nothing stopping me extending the extension wire supplied to a more conveinient place. and still be able to use the stock kinglead :D

oh well give it a crack later i suppose and see how it goes when its next driven.
as its behaving for now since the ecu reset. so i'm thinking its more electrical than mechanical for the time being
as i used to have a rev hang issue\sticky isc but that is yet to return
cleaned it out with no luck so the isc was unplugged till i tried to do a koer test on the motor as it needs it plugged in to do it.

then to find i cant get it to perform the koer test as the ecu wont play nice :(

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

was on the money it being electrical of some sort..

popped the bonnet at night in the dark when it was acting up..
crossfiring leads show up rather well, so fit replacement coil for the fun of it whilst i swap the leads on friday for some new units and hope its the issue.

if not i'll live with it till the magna has rego and keeping that.
as i've made the descision mid year to go newer. say 2003-4 onwards either a b series xr6 turbo. or go over to holden and buy myself a v8

or could be something else as i'm keeping my mind open to the options available
as i do have a soft spot for r33 skylines and stagea's.
either way what i end up with will be manual :twisted:

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, blown h\g yay me...
Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

just an update... and a bit of a rant

after fitting new leads and plugs back in december\early jan. the issue didnt go away.
it turns out the headgasket has blown, as i have oil in the coolant.
when its warm it gets worse. so to say im not happy is a understatement.

motor was apparently rebuilt before i got the eb.. and it's looking like it was just a top end reco and done a fair while ago too.(it was used to tow a boat) i did get it hot after splitting the radiator in port melbourne.

did a compression test in january.
a solid 170 psi across all cylinders dry. then fluctuates from 180 to 250 psi wet..
so i have ring issues aswell
somewhat surprising considering how well it was going before blown h\g

i'm having inklings of thats why it blew the old radiator also. (didn't look overly old. the old one)

the week i found out it was like the week before i had to move house from one side of melbourne to the other.
so fun was had borrowing cars with towbars to move as i couldn't trust mine to make it further than my olds driveway

misfires and runs worse than a rattly tractor atm. it cuts out changing gears so it isnt being driven.
so i've had my sisters daewoo since mid january to drive (was fun moving house too)
and honestly i am yet to miss the eb.

is it worth just doing the headgasket to make it easier to sell? as i'm not really inclined to waste my time for something that wont make it worth more

it also hasn't run on lpg since december either.. but i'm thinking the blown h\g may be causing that one

rego is also due mid april.. and the magna is not yet ready to go for its rwc yet, as the weather has been s**t.
but if i get a start on it next week (i work weekends now) i should be done by late march if i dont stuff about as i gotta do a loom swap and transmission swap on the magna :( not fun on your own..

so im in a slight pickle yet again.. fuggen cars.
just after ideas etc really.
as i need a reliable car for the work commute and do the odd work errand in. and i'm a little loathed taking a car i dont really trust anymore.

mind you either a new motor or h\g would make it near bulletproof as everything else has been replaced.

sorry for the essay\whinge yet again
i just need to swallow some concrete and get myself out of this hole or just cut my losses and save to buy something decent that needs no work done to it

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, lots of work. but things are looking up :)
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

well..
had a think and a look. put the bore scope down the bores of the ef motor.
i now know where the oil was going.
broken ring on no 3 with a nice mark up the bore.
blown h\g on no 6
compression test was 170 dry but varied anywhere from 180 to 250 wet

my sister needs her daewoo back soon and progress on the magna is not as far as it should due to crappy weather or other commitments. as i'm working on cars outside.

So... i've decided to fit the motor i had in the ea to it. went pretty good, even before i put a 1673 in (now stock as i sold the cam).
only reason why it got taken out.. was that i hit a kangaroo in the ea, living out of town has its downsides :(
had bore scope down this one too and looks good. compression turning by hand feels like its got better compression than the ef motor

pay the EB rego. luckily not much $150 for 6 months :D slip in known good engine and drive it till the magna is 100% sorted.

i managed to get my genie extractors fixed. for the cost of a 6 pack from the bottle shop.
so i may aswell fit those as i'd had no bites trying to sell them ages ago.

so the fun and games playing engine swaps on one car and a trans swap on the magna.. busy week for me then :(
but hey i at least dodged the bullet of k frame swap in the magna too. it is fine.. only bent the lca and killed the ball joint. its already fixed
the joys of parts cars

sure last time i posted i was whinging etc and not overly inclined to fix it..
i'm still not but its rego'd and its going to sell easier running anyways.
as dad keeps telling me. and the easy option to be able to drive my own car at the moment

so in a few weeks maybe i'll have a ticky head to sell :)

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 9  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9