Fordmods Logo

My 93 Eb S pack, no longer.. 

Page 2 of 9 [ 131 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, PROGRESS!
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Mitsubishi TE Magna

VIC, Australia

IT DRIVES!
filled the trans up after jacking the rear up and putting on stands.
just to find my drain plug was damaged.. :cry: got it out and fitted one from my junk el t5
got it done in the end though

wiring loom.
gutted the junk for the auto from it and wrapped it up so it looks semi factory.
i put some crimp terminals on and nutted out which two were for reverse and which two are the neutral switch wires.
neutral switch is currently connected (it works) as it needs to pass a rwc and i honestly cbf'd wiring in the one at the pedal or the tester to pick on me for it not functioning

so i go to start it.. dammit flat battery again!
the battery im using came in the ltd and seems to have a issue with holding charge even with nothing connected.
goes flat at its choosing across 3 cars. all cars test fine too. for a battery that is about a year and a half old.. its a crap one
i wont be buying a century battery after the hassles with this one. hence why i'll be getting another bond after rego or when this one fails good and proper

but after a jump start i drove it up and down the driveway a few times.. damn this ef motor feels strong. i was tempted to go and play on the concrete but decided against it :twisted:

i couldn't take it out for a road test as i don't have a temporary permit for it atm. and i have given vicpol enough of my money this year
so soon i'll get a permit after i have done a few other niggly things like reconnect the lpg wiring and mounted the centre console and lpg ecu lol

well no piccys this time..
but here is hoping after christmas i can get stuck into this more so i can re register it and enjoy it

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

was up at the olds for christmas.. and thought i'd have a tinker with this
dad mentioned the thermo's werent kicking in allways. he has been starting it accasionally to try to keep the woeful century battery alive

found the thermo wiring is'nt upto my standards. scotch locks were used on the main power wire for the fans to go from 2 wires down to one and back to two.
it was evident the single wire wasnt liking this very much, and one of the earth wires were just jammed in the housing of the thermo switch..

its now all been removed for the setup i had in the ghia.
so its the fun of remounting things the way i want them etc. just need to buy some fuses and a new mounting spike for the temp probe.
as my other unit has a probe you jam in the fins of the radiator where the setup that came on the car was the probe under the hose. which was leaking anyways

other than that. not a whole lot more happened apart me finding there is enough room for the lpg ecu to live under the radio.
just forgot to take the wire i'd bought to extend the 2 wires that i was forced to cut when the dash was removed.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

also.. any easy way to siphon the fuel tank and how to get rid of the fuel?
roughly have a 1\4 tank

the fuel has gone stale. which is causing a nice little misfire.
i put bp ultimate in it when i last had a permit and somewhat regretting it now

i have had nothing but issues in several cars with bp fuel to the point i wont use their fuel anymore.
but i was forced to in the eb as i was empty on lpg and a bee's d**k off empty on petrol

Post subject: Re: 89S-PACK's new toy 93 Eb S pack
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

89S-PACK wrote:

Hmmm seems your Falcon wants to morph into a superior being as I see a mini bud on your stereo.

All aside - good progress and watching with interest as I too want to add the lekky windows.

Hooroo

Post subject: Re: 89S-PACK's new toy 93 Eb S pack
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
89S-PACK wrote:

Hmmm seems your Falcon wants to morph into a superior being as I see a mini bud on your stereo.

All aside - good progress and watching with interest as I too want to add the lekky windows.

Hooroo

hahahaha lol mate.
its a 4gb usb drive i got for my birthday last year. the only annoying thing about is the headlights flash when reading so it gets rather annoying at night.

thanks. elec windows are on the to do list. just have to get around to stripping the reg's out of the ltd. and finding another centre console switchset as mine are broken.
which appears to be a common thing now in ea to ed

most of the hard work is done for me as i happen to have the right front looms. was just the body loom i needed to change as i couldn't be bothered making my own loom if the loom i got was only $40?

i wish i have made more progress on it by now but living 200k's from where its parked and the daily is still having fun stripping out my wallet.

who would of thought a 1996 te magna would be just as damn expensive to run\maintain as a 1993 v8 ltd with a blown headgasket and rooted auto?

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

a little threadmine..

i now have the thermofans wired up, along with the lpg reconnceted too, only to forget to buy a mounting spike for the temp probe for the thermo switch.. so i set the trigger temp that low it comes on and stays on untill it can be mounted.
but mine will momentarily cycle with the car, when started. as my trigger this time is off the fuel pump relay.
last time i went elsewhere and i found it wasnt a reliable trigger. but this time around i'm going the extra work and soldiering everything in instead of being cheap and nasty using scotchlocks

ended up just wiring it to the low speed side as i have ef fans currently. might swap it to high speed if it isnt coping with the heat dissapation well enough with the a\c

so only other things i got done was the rear window regs over to electric.
which meant swapping the door looms etc but i finally dont have 2 ltd door trims sitting on the back seat
it did feel wrong fitting manual regs to a dc2 ltd for a split second.. but as i have to keep it weather tight for a little longer as i'm storing stuff in it

but some pictures..

does it show i've done a few that i know which punches to knock the pop rivets out now?
as i just drill out the tops afterwards etc and voila done

and done..

my other pics were blurry so i'll get some more when i do my front doors.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

would anyone have a centre console switchset for a ea to ed electric windows? as i found mine are broken but i may just try to fix them if i cant get a decent set instead..

on the topic of the dead century battery..

i replaced it with what i used to have in the ghia.
bond ultimate with enough balls it will turn the v8 with ease..

yes it maybe a little overkill but i dont care as i'd rather a decent one for if i ever kill a belt or alternator and need to limp it into town

but fitting this meant i could then piss off the ratty bus bars for the positive terminal etc as i dont have the bolt through type battery anymore

much neater compared to
before

after

oh on a silly note.. figured out what the issue was with my daily.
the ecu had lunched the tcm part partially. fitted a replacement. problems with it holding 2 gears at once and the woeful fuel economy are gone..
a nice difference from 250k's to a tank to 450-500k's all city urban

Last edited by 89S-PACK on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

not much progress this week.
i'm aiming to be working on this weekly for a bit. (nice way to rack up the k's on the daily lol)

ordered the front radius bushes and camber kit bushes today.
so when i go to play swaps next week, i can just swap them all over.
pretty much all the bushes will be like new and cant be failed on, and i dont mind the slightly harsher ride with poly bushes anyways

i already have polybushes in the lower control arms, just a dose of cbf's pulling the front radius bushes out if i need the ltd to be a roller for a bit.
also it means they stay in the v8 k frame too :)

other than that.. just hunting down another centre console switchset for the electric windows
so the list is shrinking before it goes in for a roady..

to do list after bushes and the interior bits complete.
- refit centre console and switches
- get good tyres fitted to the 2 rear s pack alloys as mine are borderline
- replace rocker cover gasket as mine is leaking (damn you crappy ef design!)
- refit guard indicators
- swap front indicators for the new ones that came with the car
- get rid of the stale fuel
- oh and replace the boot struts with the ones out of the ghia wreck as mine are stuffed

so in effect not much
well untill the inspector gives me a please fix list

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

made a start finally swapping the front end over after getting a few days off.

jacked it up and had a closer look at swapping the slotted and drilled rotors from one stub axle to the other. found a few nice deep groves that juust make them unrw. shattered
it appears a hard compound pad was fitted and it had chewed out most of the slots anyways

lucky the rotors on the ltd are near new hey?
so i have swapped the whole unit from the ltd over. as the balljoints are fairly recent, and done bugger all k's and the lower control arms have polyrubber bushes in it too.
as the bushes in the s pack so far have been the original units, they are tired so i was probably going to get told to replace them anyways

all refitted.

also replaced the bushes in the camber kit as i dont know how many k's they had done. as it was in the ghia when i bought it.

but to give you a idea of clearance.. there was more on the ltd with the windsor in there still!

not fun..

Last edited by 89S-PACK on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:43 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

so we all know how much of a fun task it is doing the front castor rod bushes..
i herby introduce my way. it involves a holesaw and a drill!
done right. no damage to the chassis at all.
mine looked ok but i'd paid for new bushes and its a fair task to pull everything out just because i was too lasy to do them now.

evidence from the last car. :twisted:

old trusty

looks ok.. but oh well :twisted:

ready to go..

and a little vid.

all i used was a pole and a hammer and a slight tap it fell out.
basically all i'm doing is chewing out the rubber so it looses its grip and is easier to knock out

the aftermath

the new bush.. and a shameless plug for who i got the bushes from

all fitted now but forgot pictures but its the same colour as the original nearly though

Last edited by 89S-PACK on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

other than that mounted the thermo spike for the fans and made a heat sheild for the probe..
i had issues with cold air upsetting the probe in the past turning the fans off as it was thinking it was at cut off temp... not boiling!

my davies craig controller.
i've had it a while and works a treat!

the probe

being careful opening up a area for the probe..

mounted..

my little heat sheild..

and lastly found a issue that was easy to fix. kept popping tailight fuses.
but all it was i hadnt bolted down the earth and the added resistance was killing fuses. bolt it down. problem gone

so the todo list now..
swap the drivers side suspension over.
new serp belt
refit centre console
fit front electric windows (waiting on some switches..)

oh and run the stale fuel out.
i found the rich running issue too :) it helps if the car actually gets past cold start enrich

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

89S-PACK wrote:
the ecu had lunched the tcm part partially. fitted a replacement. problems with it holding 2 gears at once and the woeful fuel economy are gone..

Hey mate got a similar problem with me EB, I have terrible fuel econ, put $50 in and by 4 days its down at the E, also with your trans holding 2 gears problem, would it slam into gear roughly or was it just slow, has mine slams into gears from time to time.

Thanks, nice car, keep up the good work.

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
89S-PACK wrote:

Hey mate got a similar problem with me EB, I have terrible fuel econ, put $50 in and by 4 days its down at the E, also with your trans holding 2 gears problem, would it slam into gear roughly or was it just slow, has mine slams into gears from time to time.

Thanks, nice car, keep up the good work.

justin.. the daily is a te magna. but both of them would realistically work on the same concept being efi

it wouldnt hurt to swap the ecu over for another working one to rule it out. damn easier than it is to swap the one in the mitsubishi which is located under the dash\heaterbox!

fuel econ wise.. it could all be something silly as a dead sensor or its not getting out of closed loop. as before i set my thermo's correctly the eb would blow petrol smoke rather noticeably.
or it can actually be a stuffed injector too. eg leaking and causing over fueling

holding gears its typically either a crook ecu \sticking solenoid, or a faulty tps or inhibitor switch.
mine was slamming into gears. so not very ideal with s**t tyres on a fwd in the wet. :(

thanks.. from the pictures of yours on facebook and here yours is pretty nice too
i didn't drive my eb long enough as a auto as it was converted to manual straight after purchase.
as i had the whole conversion sitting there begging to be used

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, getting closer!
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

oh yeah, may has well wait for the AU engine next month and just get a EL ECU etc, and change the the inhibitor switch and see if they all that will help, has slamming into gears isn't good with police behind me :P,

Also yeah got it for $1000 and it's great, main thing the a/c works which is a plus for the kids etc, old EF mont had no a/c (leak under dash assume to be), plus heaps of other parts needed to be replaced.

anyways thanks for the info will remember that, supposed it could be a injector has one makes a noise then the rest do.....or it could just be a sticky lifter too...arggh gotta love cars :).

edit* also forgot to add, when I put 32ltrs of fuel in, the gauge will be on full?, feels like I have a 34 litre tank, instead of a 68ltr etc.

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Post subject: Re: My 93 Eb S pack, getting closer!
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
oh yeah, may has well wait for the AU engine next month and just get a EL ECU etc, and change the the inhibitor switch and see if they all that will help, has slamming into gears isn't good with police behind me :P,

Also yeah got it for $1000 and it's great, main thing the a/c works which is a plus for the kids etc, old EF mont had no a/c (leak under dash assume to be), plus heaps of other parts needed to be replaced.

anyways thanks for the info will remember that, supposed it could be a injector has one makes a noise then the rest do.....or it could just be a sticky lifter too...arggh gotta love cars :).

edit* also forgot to add, when I put 32ltrs of fuel in, the gauge will be on full?, feels like I have a 34 litre tank, instead of a 68ltr etc.

hmm true. but i thought yours had low k's or is it stuffed?

yeah. it could be just something silly, but my eb ghia wasnt as good on the fuel as dads el but the eb ghia being manual i drove it more spiritedly

oh hell no.. not exactly ideal :(

yeah you got yours pretty cheap. mine doesnt owe me that much yet.. but i bought mine unregistered

working a\c is nice. (mine does work)
the joys of cars hey? i've done the same. cut my losses and gone to another that everything works and has nowhere near the issues the old car had.

yeah.. swapping out a set would help determine if its stuffed or not etc.
but its having the $$ to do so

i'd say either the guage in the cluster is stuffed or the sender in the tank is stuffed.
i'd fix this and see what its using first as a faulty guage could be making you think you are using more than expected.
one more thing check the connections on top of the tank as i have seen the pins corrode for the fuel sender unit. as my old one in the ltd had snapped off, hence no working guage when i bought it

but a car does use more fuel noticeably with the a\c on as it is another load and its a decent load the compressor puts on the motor

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 9  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next