Fordmods Logo

My BA XR6T build. 

 

Page 2 of 14 [ 198 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

By putting it on the rollers I was referring to the guys at the tuning shop being able to see how the boost is building and if the stock wastegate is functioning in an appropriate manner at 9 and 11 psi.

Good tip getting the gate modded when I get around to doing dump and cat. I have heard the stock ones are rather inefficient. I think its about 800 bucks or so for the xforce stainless dump and cat- will have to price it up. Will probably look at a retune after that. I've been told that bigger dump and cat really helps spool times.

(build thread: the-garage-f53/upgraded-to-bf-ii-turbo-t125368.html)

It may go slowly. Repco wages aren't flash!

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
By putting it on the rollers I was referring to the guys at the tuning shop being able to see how the boost is building and if the stock wastegate is functioning in an appropriate manner at 9 and 11 psi.

Good tip getting the gate modded when I get around to doing dump and cat. I have heard the stock ones are rather inefficient. I think its about 800 bucks or so for the xforce stainless dump and cat- will have to price it up. Will probably look at a retune after that. I've been told that bigger dump and cat really helps spool times.

(build thread: the-garage-f53/upgraded-to-bf-ii-turbo-t125368.html)

It may go slowly. Repco wages aren't flash!



I was all set to do my own wastegate before finding it already done. I had a dremmel and an pnuomatic die grinder and an old exhaust valve head... Found a few youtube vids of others doing it and it looked simple enough. I had to change the actuator anyway so thought it was work doing while I was there.

Probably more necessary for me because I plan to go the liquid gas injection.. Means the engine will be breathing freezing cold mouthfuls of a 110 octane fuel.. Nice cold intake charge and hi octain fuel means I can up the boost and advance the timing significantly. Thinking 15 psi is a good target to start with.. If I snap a rod its no biggie as I can get another engine for next to nothing.the next engine will likely have Scat rods in it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

Any thoughts on converting to an external wastegate? If that is possible on these?

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Any thoughts on converting to an external wastegate? If that is possible on these?


Yeah, I have seen mention of it on one of the boosted forums. I suspect if you want to run really high numbers even a modded wastegate isn't enough. Not a cheap upgrade though.

I think the LPG upgrade is the best path for me.

Apparently with the JTG gear, the best result they have gotten from a car with my mods on liquid gas was 389 rwkw.. Or roughly 520hp.

Apparently the liquid injection is awe inspiringly good for boosted applications.

I could probably get similar numbers on petrol by spending the 5 grand on engine mods but I'd still be running fuel that costs a dollar seventy a litre. This way I Gert cheap fuel and big numbers and cleaner emissions to boot. Its 4 grand after the federal grant and thast really will pay for itself quickly since it saves me About 80 cents a litre and I put at least sixty litres in a week.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

I was looking at lpg turbo as well- but the feedback I got off a specialist was turbo motors on gas need more LPG going in per psi of boost than petrol- something very technical to do with the nature of LPG itself. It got down to some chemistry and such so I couldn't follow and just nodded.

It was estimated that roughly $ per $ boosted LPG and Petrol break about even when driven at decent boost levels. Driven quietly the LPG would return more $ efficient.

Something to consider.

I'm not aiming for numbers personally. Just want to iron out some of the deficiencies in the xr6t motor and replace old parts with higher than oem spec for quality of life reasons. I prefer over engineered to under.

I will be following your updates closely mate- this JTG gear sounds interesting.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
I was looking at lpg turbo as well- but the feedback I got off a specialist was turbo motors on gas need more LPG going in per psi of boost than petrol- something very technical to do with the nature of LPG itself. It got down to some chemistry and such so I couldn't follow and just nodded.

It was estimated that roughly $ per $ boosted LPG and Petrol break about even when driven at decent boost levels. Driven quietly the LPG would return more $ efficient.

Something to consider.

I'm not aiming for numbers personally. Just want to iron out some of the deficiencies in the xr6t motor and replace old parts with higher than oem spec for quality of life reasons. I prefer over engineered to under.

I will be following your updates closely mate- this JTG gear sounds interesting.


I'm pretty excited about it too. you can guarantee that success or fail, everyone on fordmods will know about it. :-)
apparently the JTG system is much simplier than a vapour model as there is no converters etc, just a pump in the tank and a piggyback computer that swaps between injectors. Nice and simple and the benefits of liquid gas on an intake charge is huge.. it's the reason that the ford EcoLPI is so good.. and it's even better if the car has a hair dryer as liquid gas expanding gets really really cold... best intercooler in the world. :-)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

My BF2.5 sideskirts arrived from brisbane.. total cost of 36 dollars plus 14 shipping with e-go.. so 50 bucks. I can live with that price!

Image

In other news, the BA bonnet is close to being ready for painting.. It's a genuine ford not aftermarket... and it's been around a bit.

It started off Red, then was painted maroon, then blue, then white and lastly green with fujitsu livery.
I started off sanding it, but was getting nowhere fast so swapped to paint stripper (there was a couple of deep scratches back to metal so I decided that all paint had to go.)

1.5 litres of paint stripper, about 3 hours with a scraper and it looks like this:

Image

Just bits of undercoat left. Once I've got it smooth as, it's time to apply some lovely lighting strike silver two pack. Will do the skirts at the same time.

I've also had a chrome hump sticker made up.. just says XR6 Turbo in the same style as the XR on the back... The car has a chrome grill and boot garnish so it should fit nicely.

Once the bonnet is on.. I'll have room under it to fit my water to air intercooler.. then I can remove the front mount air to air and put the coolers in it's place. Also bought a big battery box to move the battery to the boot so I can put the air filter where it is now and shorten the path. I have zero guage (really big power cable) from the EL stereo so that will run the car electrics nicely.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

Quote:
it's the reason that the ford EcoLPI is so good..



Perhaps the 12:1 compression ratio also plays a part in all this :)

Should look horn with all these goodies on it.

Going spoilerless?

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Quote:
it's the reason that the ford EcoLPI is so good..



Perhaps the 12:1 compression ratio also plays a part in all this :)

Should look horn with all these goodies on it.

Going spoilerless?


12:1 certainly wouldn't hurt.. :-)

I want to go spoiler-less. or at least just a F6 rear lip.. but that's a low priority right now. Think the T56 might be before that one.

But this looks interesting:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-Bobtail-For-Xr6-Or-Xr8-Mercury-Silver-BA-BF-/221362918150?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338a421306

never seen one like it on a BA/BF before.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

There is an XR6 getting around here in Geelong with that exact lip. Nice to know what it is.

Looks like a great replacement, taking up the mounting holes. Costs about the same as a replacement bootlid from what I have priced up.

I took mine off the other day, and found the nuts had been done up overtight- warping the bootskin around the mounting points. Which in turn had cracked the paint where the spoiler feet touch the bootlid.

Bloody yokels, I tells ya.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
There is an XR6 getting around here in Geelong with that exact lip. Nice to know what it is.

Looks like a great replacement, taking up the mounting holes. Costs about the same as a replacement bootlid from what I have priced up.

I took mine off the other day, and found the nuts had been done up overtight- warping the bootskin around the mounting points. Which in turn had cracked the paint where the spoiler feet touch the bootlid.

Bloody yokels, I tells ya.


Sucks when that sort of stuff happens.

That lip spoiler was 450 last week.. If it gets down to 300 I might buy it as I like the look and as you said.. no need for a new boot. It's like the spoiler you have when you don't really want a spoiler but you want something on the back to break it up a bit.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Ok..

Took bonnet all the way back to bare metal.
Image

Then bought 300 bucks worth of two pack everything. starting with etch primer/sealer.
Then sealed it:
http://bits-ticket.biz.uwa.edu.au/frank ... sealed.jpg

Still have to go over this with 800 grit.. then primer/filer, then colour and top coats. This weekend is D day.. I have bought enough paint to do the bonnet, two skirts and still have enough left to paint half the car if needed. Better yet, the paint was spectrometer colour matched to my car rather than just the paint mode, meaning that if the car is at all faded or the colour is different for some reason, the new paint should match it exactly.

Also, the author of a very handy program called Winlog has written drivers for both my cheap APSX D1 wideband and also ODB2, meaning I'll be able to do full AFR's based on data from both.. very cool. Just got my USB to Serial adaptor too so I won't have to use the docking station to use the datalogging.

Lastly, I've heard back from BPRacing, we are ready to start putting custom firmware on my BA XR6T PCM.. he has it working in Binary Edit and I'm just about ready to start loading. Very excited!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

For some reason FM won't allow me to edit the last post and fix my image.. (all my other posts have an edit button, but not that one.)

so here it is here:

Image

very close to being on my car. very excited!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:01 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6794

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
There is an XR6 getting around here in Geelong with that exact lip. Nice to know what it is.

Looks like a great replacement, taking up the mounting holes. Costs about the same as a replacement bootlid from what I have priced up.

I took mine off the other day, and found the nuts had been done up overtight- warping the bootskin around the mounting points. Which in turn had cracked the paint where the spoiler feet touch the bootlid.

Bloody yokels, I tells ya.


Sucks when that sort of stuff happens.

That lip spoiler was 450 last week.. If it gets down to 300 I might buy it as I like the look and as you said.. no need for a new boot. It's like the spoiler you have when you don't really want a spoiler but you want something on the back to break it up a bit.


http://www.awcinfo.com//secureshop/cate ... ?cat_id=88

http://www.carmate.com/product_details. ... FAL03DJRRW

 

_________________

SWC

South West Customs


Members of the SWC Stable, fordebgt93, TROYMAN, Benj, svo_matt, Mrs C, eb_fairmont, Total_tool, Terroristghia

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3436

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

SWC wrote:
frankieh wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
There is an XR6 getting around here in Geelong with that exact lip. Nice to know what it is.

Looks like a great replacement, taking up the mounting holes. Costs about the same as a replacement bootlid from what I have priced up.

I took mine off the other day, and found the nuts had been done up overtight- warping the bootskin around the mounting points. Which in turn had cracked the paint where the spoiler feet touch the bootlid.

Bloody yokels, I tells ya.


Sucks when that sort of stuff happens.

That lip spoiler was 450 last week.. If it gets down to 300 I might buy it as I like the look and as you said.. no need for a new boot. It's like the spoiler you have when you don't really want a spoiler but you want something on the back to break it up a bit.


http://www.awcinfo.com//secureshop/cate ... ?cat_id=88

http://www.carmate.com/product_details. ... FAL03DJRRW



Hi SWC,

I also found this one for 135 dollars on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181314840013

not as big an ask as I thought.. that is on my shopping list for sure now.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 14  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names