Page 3 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Is that BPR in Geelong? You would be dealing with Matt?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:

yep.. Matt from BPR, and Clint, the author of Binary Editor.

Do you know Matt? or know of him?

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Lots of stuff happened this weekend..

Firstly i painted my skirts in Two Pack.. the first things I've ever painted in two pack..
and I nailed it.. best paint job I have ever done..
Turns out Two pack is really easy compared to acrylic.. as long as you have breathing
gear and are good at not getting paint runs
(two pack goes on thicker and with more pressure)

The bonnet got painted.. but part way though the clear coat stage my gun stopped
spraying enough clear.. so it (the clear) came out patchy..
fixing that this coming weekend.

Last of all, I managed to work out the serial port of the APSX wide band sensor myself..
(they have really crap service the company that sells them.. worst.. took them 2 weeks
to answer my email request for a feature they advertise in the paperwork but won't
supply info on... they wrote back asking me why I wanted it, which I answered and
they've not answered me with the info or even an acknowledgement of my email in
two weeks.) Basically, Pin 2 on the serial cable goes to the digital guage output
(green wire on the guage I believe) and pin 5 on the serial cable goes to earth on
the guage wire... and we have AFR's displaying on my laptop using a serial to USB
adaptor and a program called "winlog" very cool.

It is rounding up to round numbers currently, hense the 15, but that is just because
I didnt' set the unit properly.. easy peasy in Winlog.

Also I received strategy and calibration files for the BA from Matt at BPR.. and
loaded them up in Binary Edit.. looks good and shows what I'll be able to edit
when the time comes.

This is just the initial stage.. I should now be able to upload tunes onto the blackoak
using just my J2534 cable.. very excited.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

This morning I permanently wired a serial cable to my AFR unit..

reconfigured winlog to display to two decimal places and it worked nicely.. you can see the value on the laptop now matches the AFR readout on the A pillar (down the bottom)

This means two things.
1. I can now datalog AFR's with additional context data provided by ODB2.
2. I have downloaded the Centrafuse SDK and will knock up a driver to allow me to display the AFR directly on the media ICC screen.

Pretty cool for a wideband setup that cost me 80 bucks.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi all,

Small update.... I can now categorically state that the "Binary Editor" and a Mongoose cable (or other J2534 cable) can be used to upload a new ROM to a BA Black Oak PCM. I just did it successfully.

The Rom Matt gave me was apparently a factory tune rom to test with.. I uploaded it which took just under 300 seconds.. and the car starts and runs fine.. only problem is that after the tune my speed pickup is no longer working so i'm in limp home mode.

I suspect that he used a non turbo as the base for this rom and it isn't picking up the speed from the correct sensor.. as I remember it the BA XR6T picks up the speed from the ABS or traction control or something different from the NA BA i6.. (don't remember the details) but this means I do now possess the ability to flash altered tunes to my PCM.. Waiting for Matt to get back to me about the speed pickup but since it works, I might just grab the 15PSI rom off him and pop that on for now. Fine tune it later once the JTG is on the car...

all very exciting for me.. I am going to have to take some crash courses in tuning and fuel tables..
I can datalog everything now too which doesn't hurt. In the end the Mongoose/BE method has cost me as much as an SCT, but near as I can tell, it has less limitations and you can change stuff on the fly easy just using BE...

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hello good folks.

I took some XR6 skirt badges and hit them with niteshades to make a black chrome color.. stuck them on my BF2 skirts as they almost match the insert colour.. I really really like the effect.. it finishes off the BF2 skirts somehow.

In other news, I have a 10PSI tune on my car as we speak.. I have not put my 42 lbs injectors in yet, so Matt gave me a lower PSI tune till this weekend when the injectors go on..
He also have me a tune that will be suited to the 42 lbs injectors that I will be putting in as soon as possible. These tunes have been uploaded using a Mongoose J2534 cable and Binary Editor.

He also said he always fixes the idle in XR6T as they are often dodgy.. so my car now idles at around 600 rpm when in drive..so my oil pressure is up and it's nice and smooth.. YAY! This has annoyed the hell out of me for soooooo long now.

Also, no more overboost cut out.. I can now floor it and not have the overboost protection cut in.. I still haven't floored it though as I am to worried my dodgy BTR might die... bring on the T56 conversion.

Now I can get the JTG gas install done.. very exciting. Also, I am helping beta test the ODB2 datalogging module being written for the Winlog program. Soon you will be able to use Winlog to graph all of your chosen ODB2 PIDS as well as a whole bunch of external serial/usb connected sensors (like my APSX wideband)... very cool.

cheers

Frank

Last edited by frankieh on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Grimketel wrote:

yep.. Matt from BPR, and Clint, the author of Binary Editor.

Do you know Matt? or know of him?

Sure do mate, he lives just around the corner form my place, and he did both the ECU conversion on my old AU t5 as well as the 11lb generic tune on my Turbo.

Great bloke, always willing to go the extra mile to help you out.

Those side skirts come up horn against the silver paint. I've seen them on the bluey-green colour XR6 and though they looked ordinary, but they look tops here.

You sure have been busy, takes a lot of guts to go playing with the electrics and management side of things.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Sure do mate, he lives just around the corner form my place, and he did both the ECU conversion on my old AU t5 as well as the 11lb generic tune on my Turbo.

Great bloke, always willing to go the extra mile to help you out.

frankieh wrote:
Yeah, at first I found him a bit brusk.. and he didn't always answer questions immediately.. but eventually you usually does... and he certainly knows his way around a BA tune.. he knew immediately why my speedo didn't work (apparently it was a corrupt or turned of VID block?)

Grimketel wrote:
Those side skirts come up horn against the silver paint. I've seen them on the bluey-green colour XR6 and though they looked ordinary, but they look tops here.

frankieh wrote:
The skirts were love at first sight for me.. but I first saw them on a silver BF... thought they were aftermarket. they needed the black XR6 logo to really finish them off.. I don't think the BF's that came with those skirts had any lettering on them and that is a shame cos it makes them POP.

Grimketel wrote:
You sure have been busy, takes a lot of guts to go playing with the electrics and management side of things.

frankieh wrote:
Not really in my case, I was an alarm and custom audio fitter for many years, also did a stint as a sparkie's lackey... got used to messing with electrics. plus I'm a Linux/Unix/WinDoze system administrator and programmer at a UNI for a dayjob so the computer side of it doesn't bother me either. Lastly, If I naffed it up.. I know a totally awesome dude who wrecks BA/BF/FG/Territory's all day every day and he sells me stuff dirt cheap and I help him where I can too.. a very good and profitable relationship that one.. so if I naffed it up, I'd just get a new one from him.. one day I plan to replace the entire cars wiring loom with BF2 kit anyway.. stuffing it would have just sped the work up.

Last weekend i also wired up a Raspberry PI mini computer into a mates car (BA too) and hooked it up to the secondary input on his reverse camera screen.. when he is in reverse, behind the car shows, the rest of the time a fully fuctional linux box running X11 and XBMC is running outputting into the AUX in on the stereo.. pretty cool too..

This week I should pick my humpy bonnet up which is getting another clear coat as my gun died.. once that is on, it should set the car off nicely. latter on I'll get the typhoon nose for it but then I ma more or less done externally. Also have some Territory rear brakes on the way... very nice.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

This post is entitled.. "Is it wrong to hear Barry White singing "Can't get enough of your love baby..." when I look at my car?

Humpyness:

Skirts and hump go well together, I haven't put my XR6 turbo chrome sticker on the hump yet cos I need to rub the bonnet down with 2000 wet and dry and give it a polish to get it perfect. But still.. already looking pretty good I think..

I've decided to get one of the bob tail rears and try painting it the same colour as the skirt insert.. and when I get a typhoon nose I'll do the insert on that the same colour too. should look nice.

Oh, also got these big SY AWD territory rear brakes for the BA.. huge things.
The SY territory they came from had only done 55k. there is hardly any discernible lip..

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tops stuff to read about what you have been doing with the PCM.
Does this mean you will now have the capacity to remove security , change speedo sensor input etc like the Quarterhorse lets you do with an AU?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
Tops stuff to read about what you have been doing with the PCM.
Does this mean you will now have the capacity to remove security , change speedo sensor input etc like the Quarterhorse lets you do with an AU?

In theory yes.. But I can do the security stuff with the mongoose and fmp already.

Binary edit works with two files. One is a strategy, which near as I can tell is a list of memory locations and what they are.. And calibrations... Which are essentially ROMS for the PCM. Any memory location in the tune can be changed if its location and details are correctly referenced in the strategy file. Matt spends lots of time working on his strategy file, so he guards it closely. The one he has given me thus far is fairly basic so far but more are coming.

The best part is that I really will be able to edit the tune in real time as you dont have to upload a whole edited tune, you can just select some changed fields and hit update and it just does the changes.. Very cool piece of software and the future of home tuning IMHO.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

42 pound bosch 4 hole EV1 injectors are in! and the 14PSI tune to go with them uploaded via Binary Edit and my mongoose.

Even with the plumb back piping on the blow off valve it makes a very loud woosh when I take my foot off at high boost.. very cool. (not cool enough for me to vent it to air though)

Goes like the clappers.. once I get the AFR's back to Matt for fine tuning.. I'm booking the car straight in for it's JTG gas install.

If you are wondering what all the wiring hanging down at the back is... I took the opportunity to swap all the gauge wiring for a neat single run of ribbon wire that connects all the gauge sensors to the gauges on the drivers A pillar. lighter, neater and easier to trace...

On a different note, has anyone ever thought about a generic module that allows you to plug in some analog sensors (like oil pressure or temp for example) and it outputs a ODB2 pid (number of your choosing) onto your bus system? Then you could add every sensor in the car to the bus system and my Karpoota would have access to all of the info to provide alarms, display onscreen or whatever. later on I might look into that.. see what is involved.. could use whatever PID's that Ford uses for oil pressure in the newer overseas models... (in the case of oil temp/press I mean) just a thought I had when I was soldering the wiring.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA Ford Falcon V8 Ute

QLD, Australia

awesome mods so far with your lap top .

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
awesome mods so far with your lap top .

Thanks.. it is pretty cool. will be better when I can fine tune my tune so to speak. In the mean time I have been passing AFR data onto Matt and he has been sending me updated tunes to account for it. booking in for JTG install very soon.

In the mean time, I have updated my rear brakes to those off a SY Territory AWD.
The BA disk is solid and smaller.. the SY is much bigger, but also hollow (ventilated) but most importantly, the Caliper is way bigger and the Pads that are getting pushed are twice the size of the factory rear BA pads.

Side by side (note the differences in pad size.):

On the car:

In the mag.

For anyone else that does this.. either bring the SY back covers too, or take real care pushing the back plate back.. I got the tops out fine, but didn't realise that the very inside edge is rubbing near the beginning of the hand brake hub.. wish I'd checked better as although there is no contact between the rotor surface and the back, the rubbing noise is now coming from near the hand brake hub.. it is getting quieter though so I am guessing that were it is touching the backing tin has worn away.. it wasn't bad.. but annoying. If I did it again I'd put the SY back plates on too... or just left the back plates off altogether as I don't think they really do much good anyway.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Its coming a long way.
Tops to see someone at home breaking into the home tuning on a vehicle that it was said couldn't be done.
I myself apologise for having my doubts.
Can you please link me to the mongoose cable and FMP version your using? I had a uick look today but am not sure if Im looking at the right stuff.
Would be interesting to see if AU fault codes etc can be cleared with it as well as playing with the B series PCM.
Could end up being a very worthwhile tool to have in my toy box..........

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next