Fordmods Logo

My BA XR6T build. 

Page 4 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
Its coming a long way.
Tops to see someone at home breaking into the home tuning on a vehicle that it was said couldn't be done.
I myself apologise for having my doubts.
Can you please link me to the mongoose cable and FMP version your using? I had a uick look today but am not sure if Im looking at the right stuff.
Would be interesting to see if AU fault codes etc can be cleared with it as well as playing with the B series PCM.
Could end up being a very worthwhile tool to have in my toy box..........

Thankyou sir.. I'm pretty happy with the progress myself. :-) It is certainly going way faster than the EL ever did. (literally and figuratively.)
No worries for the doubts, I had my own for a while and had to just bite the bullet and try it.. plus I spoke to Clint the author of the software and he seemed very knowledgeable so I decided to gamble, Matt at BPR is not overly talkative, but what he does say is sensible...

As for the mongoose cable, I got Mongoose JLR cable.. which is actually for Jags/rover.. but when I checked the spec sheet, the JLR suports all the same protocols as the ford cable and a few extras. This is the one here: http://www.drewtech.com/technician/products/mongoosejaguar.html I got a crazy good deal on it 2nd hand.

The FMP software I used is the latest one from motocraft.. I have been buying a cheap 2 day subscription from them whenever I need it.. once I had update my mates BA PCM firmware via mongoose and fmp, I knew that Binary Editor would work fine, and it does. :-)

My mate has been looking for a copy of FMP that doesn't call home so I can unlock stuff on my own car without having to buy a subscription from FMP every time, but it doesn't look like there is one.. If anyone knows different, PM me.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Went a bit nuts on engine bay Bling..

Notice the power steering pump top, the radiator supports, the oil filler cap, the air box lit XR plaque and the chrome XR grill... There is a Billet PCM cover on its way too.

The BOV is only temporary.. I won a brand new identical black one what will be going in once I figure out where to put it that is out of sight.

wouldn't mind doing something about the radiator expansion tank but I like being able to see the level at a glance and I've not seen an alternative I like the look of.
Also still have to paint the inside of the bonnet.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

More engine bay bling.. just won a billet shiny PCM cover for 26 bucks.

Also the $500 deposit is paid and the car goes in for JTG liquid gas install in 3 weeks.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Had to change out a rear door central locking motor.. picked one up from a mate for 20 bucks and 15 minutes later it was in and working.... (did a drivers side power window a week before with no issues either)

Also I have a tow bar now.. and while I was picking up the CDL motor I saw a BF fairmont being pulled to bits and it had a factory tow pack on it.. so I got the whole factory reverse sensors, the sensor and tow pack loom and all the sensors for 30 bucks.. and it's all plug and play.. no wiring needed at all. Since I already have a BF white/green BEM and colour premium ICC in the car, it should working swimmingly.. if not, I'll grab the rear loom from the fairmont as well.

He also loaned me the big front brakes from a territory along with a heap of different caliper support brackets from different falcons.. to see if I could find some combination that would allow the Territory front brakes to fit... from what I hear they line up fine, but on the falcon the caliper is 3mm too close to the hub to fit the factory territory rotor in.. who knows..perhaps I can find a combination that works.. it isn't like I've spent any money on it. There are some BF turbo support brackets on ebay for 150 bucks a pair.. who knows, but it's possible that they will allow me to fit the territory brakes to the BA. worth a shot as right now my rear brakes are considerably bigger than my fronts.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yay! my car has spent most of the week in port kenedy getting the JTG liquid gas injection system installed.

It is all in, and I'll post some photos shortly.. I can't drive on gas presently as the JTG folks forgot to send a brass adapter it needs... I was expecting it to be nearly invisible in the engine bay... but it's pretty visible. Once it's all sorted I suspect I will have some tidying to do.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

As promised.. my new JTG install.

The dash switch.. not sure I am happy with the location as I can't see it properly when I drive.. that may be moving soon.

Injectors and stuff.

Piggyback computer:

Tank:

I didn't want the donut tank as it's tiny.... this one isn't much better. (takes 53 litres.. but it will do if the economy is as good as petrol (or close thereto)

doesn't look like much for the money but driving and dino figures will tell I guess.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA Ford Falcon V8 Ute

QLD, Australia

must do a lot of driving to justify the cost of the conversion .for a performance mod would have been better of ,if it was a nos bottle :lol: .whats the bracket under the dash for (starter button ?) i would be worried in a crash that it would cause damage to leg or knee .thats very dangerous ,i would remove that and move it inside of dash (drill hole and fit it there )would look neat as well. you have spend a lot of money on the xr ,looks good mate

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
must do a lot of driving to justify the cost of the conversion .for a performance mod would have been better of ,if it was a nos bottle :lol: .whats the bracket under the dash for (starter button ?) i would be worried in a crash that it would cause damage to leg or knee .thats very dangerous ,i would remove that and move it inside of dash (drill hole and fit it there )would look neat as well. you have spend a lot of money on the xr ,looks good mate

The start button is temporaruy there... It was just so the gas fitter could start it easily. I have bf column to go on soon that will make it redundant. It's pretty thin tin too also, if my knee hit it it would just bend down and snap off. I am a big guy so I have the seat all the way back and my knee is way under it. But it will be gone soon.

I am currently putting more than 100 dollars of premium a week in it. The cost is about 1.75 a litre. At 92 cents a litre for lpg I should get my money back soon enough.

As an added benefit having it freeze the intake charge of the turbo will work very nicely with my tiny water to air system I have here. I could have spent the money going faster but I will be happy with where in am now if it's cheaper to run. Next big expense is the T56 conversion and then I'll keep the car for the next 10 years or more.

Also the government is still paying for 1000 bucks of the conversion. :-)

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i had a mazda bravo that i fitted gas to .and it made not much difference between petrol and gas (money wise ,used more gas than petrol ) so it just about evened out .i only saved 2-3 dollars per 100klm. that was about 12 years ago .i also had a lot of problems with the airflow sensor (a backfire and its gone )the cost to replace was about $500 back then .yours will not do that (has no airflow sensor )so it will be very interesting to find out how it performs . you must travel about 30.000klm a year by the fuel consumption you have .over 10 years that is 300.000klm .that means you are going to get your money worth ,that is if your motor will last this long (gas is better for the bottom end but valves will burn out faster .

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
i had a mazda bravo that i fitted gas to .and it made not much difference between petrol and gas (money wise ,used more gas than petrol ) so it just about evened out .i only saved 2-3 dollars per 100klm. that was about 12 years ago .i also had a lot of problems with the airflow sensor (a backfire and its gone )the cost to replace was about $500 back then .yours will not do that (has no airflow sensor )so it will be very interesting to find out how it performs . you must travel about 30.000klm a year by the fuel consumption you have .over 10 years that is 300.000klm .that means you are going to get your money worth ,that is if your motor will last this long (gas is better for the bottom end but valves will burn out faster .

Watch this vid from Ford.... This is a liquid injection system like mine. The older gas systems are much less efficient. Also you have to tune the car for lpg to get the most benefit. (More timing advance, more compression or boost). This is not like a mixer system or even vapour injection. It's much more like a petrol system using gas, has a full return line too.. so the gas is pumped by a pump in the tank to the injector rail, and leftover gas goes back to the tank.. just like petrol. The gas goes into the intake manifold as a liquid and immediately turns to gas, doing so makes it very very cold sucking the heat out of the intake air allowing it to be much more dense. (which is why normal old school LPG converters have to have hot radiator water going though them or they freeze up.) That cold charge is especially good for Turbo cars that have trouble keeping the air temp close to ambiant at the best of times.. imagine a turbo getting outputting nothing but cold dense air under pressure.... pretty cool. My tuner says we'll be working with a whole different tune for the Gas. once I get him some AFR's he will go to town on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWJPfvMsSs&app=desktopI

I think when ford releases one of the smaller charged ecoboost engines with direct gas injection that we'll see how efficient these things can be.

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

great video to watch :lol: .not bad performance for a gas car .would have been better falcon v falcon so it was a even match .but got to admit it sounds worth wile for you ,but i only travel about 10,000 klm a year not worth it to me .good to see you care about the environment ,you may even get some of the carbon tax back :D must be the $1000 cash back from the government .dam i payed for some of your conversion .best of luck with your car build

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thankyou sir... hopefully I am being greener, faster and cheaper. :-)

This page makes for an interesting read.. it's about the power and torque figures of ecolpi falcon.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/ford-australia/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-falcon-ecolpi/10150603573856593

The figures for the petrol FG are:
195 kW (261 hp) at 6000 rpm and 391 N·m (288 lb·ft) of torque, 201kW / 409Nm of torque is available with RON95 fuel.

taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FG_Falcon

The Ecolpi (taken from the same page)
198 kW (266 hp) at 5000 rpm and torque to 409 N·m (302 lb·ft) at 3250 rpm. So more powerful than a petrol on 91 unleaded, and a few kw less than one on 95 premium... but the maximum is 1000rpm sooner (5000rpm verses 6000 for petrol).. That is why the figures are slightly higher for the petrol on premium because power = torque * rpm and the gas model produces it's peak earlier in the rev range.. (which also makes for a more drivable and probably faster engine)

I think falcon verses falcon would have been closer, but I suspect the ecolpi would have still won as it's power comes on sooner. but they were trying to win commodore and toyota sales, so they picked a commodore and a corolla. I wish they had trimmed the video down and put it on Telly.... the people that have the money to spend on 45k cars probably don't spend that much time on youtube... but that sort of thing has been Ford Australias downfall for yours.. Once Ford US takes over the making of all the ads for cars in australia as they do now for the modeo/focus/festiva etc they will perhaps sell much better than they do now.. The people doing the TV advertising for Ford in Australia since the AU should hang their heads in shame at the woeful job they have done...(and ford australia too for accepting them) They could have just copied the commodore ads except using falcons and they'd have done much better than they did.

If they hadn't done such a woeful job of selling the falcon.. it's possible that it would be getting exported elsewhere. (or built elsewhere and exported here).. but its history now. at least bits of the design will live on in the mustang. (like the rear suspension design.)

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:31 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yes you can not beat technology thats for sure .can not wait to see electric cars in the future .they will out perform most petrol cars .just those dam batteries take some time to charge and costly to replace .no more v8 sounds :( .but there is a up side the police will not here the engine rev up at the lights ,only the tire sound and the smoke of the tyres :lol:

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:38 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

sad to see holden and ford not australian made no more .but hopefully they become more affordable to buy .

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

last I read the non australian replacement for the commodore will be a chinese made front wheel drive..

The replacement for the falcon will probably be the taurus which at least goes up to the twin turbo V6 AWD SHO. and it doesn't look like an AU or 90's taurus.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/reviews/editors_notebook/1208_2013_ford_taurus_sho/38795930+w968/2013-Ford-Taurus-SHO-front-right-view.jpg

not a big fan of electric cars.. it's not like you can get in one and drive non stop to queensland swapping driving... for the work commute they are probably ok.. but if you run dry you need a tow. it's not like someone can get you a can of electricity. I wouldnt feel secure unless the car had a backup generator to charge things if needed. (doesn't the chevy volt do that?)

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next