Fordmods Logo

My BA XR6T build. 

Page 6 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Got some new bits and pieces for the car.. for the grand price of totally free!.

1. BF dual zone hvac... I didn't need the whole thing or even the him module.. but it was easier to just grab the whole thing.

2. PCM module.. it has three plugs under.. don't know if the turbo's have 3 or 4.. will have to ask someone. if it can be programmed with a BF version of my tune.. will be mint... I can then separate my front loom to make the turbo section separate from the BA PCM engine loom.

3. The entire dash loom, engine loom, drivers side body loom (already have the passenger side) including the restraint module, the electric seat wiring, the side airbag sensors and stuff.. I even grabbed the ABS module as it's different to the one in my BA. ditto the indicator arm.

I just bought the engine as well.. for 50 bucks cos I really just wanted the engine loom off it. (engine has 120k on it.. but it isn't one of the ones with the better conrods so I don't really want it.)

So with the exception of the Passenger door loom and mirror.. I now have the entire electrical system from a BF fairmont. If you include the BF BEM and ICC already in the car and the BF XR cluster in my shed.

The BF Fairmont was running perfectly before being hit in the drivers side back door hard enough to bend the sill and mangle the door (but not enough to trip the side airbags it seems.) so getting it from the same car means I don't have to wonder if i got compatible looms etc.

I am curious though, I thought all BF fairmont's had dynamic stability control, but I didn't find a module for that anywhere.. and since I'd mostly stripped the car by that point, I have to assume that it either didn't have it.. or it's built into the PCM or something.

I was going to strip the interior of my BA to install my stereo system and FG seats and install a manual, and convert completely to dual zone anyway.. it's not much further to just convert the car to a BF electrically speaking and it has other benefits too.. potential to swap to a ZF later if I wish.. much faster PCM updates due to the faster memory in the BF PCM. dynamic stability control can be added if it's not there already, improved ABS function, electric seats once I find some fairmont/fairlaine bases. etc etc.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA Ford Falcon V8 Ute

QLD, Australia

so the bf had better abs ? they are both Bosch are they not. i have the bigger brakes but can not fit them ,the 16 inch wheels do not fit .i might try the steel wheels they may fit over the calliper

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
so the bf had better abs ? they are both Bosch are they not. i have the bigger brakes but can not fit them ,the 16 inch wheels do not fit .i might try the steel wheels they may fit over the calliper

I don't know if it's better ABS or not.. I'd be surprised if it wasn't more subtle though.. I've noticed that the older ABS in cars is much harsher and bigger pulses than the newer ones.. I grabbed the ABS because I wasn't sure the plug was the same or the programming.. I saw that the lines are all the same size... so I'll swap it in. basically, If I grab everything plugged into the BF wiring it'll be less likely I'll run into issues.

On the brake side of things, I have the rear brakes out of a AWD SY Territory, I suspect they might be the same as BF turbo brakes. Still have to do the fronts, but BF turbo's look like just having the same caliper as the BA on a bigger disk by way of a different support bracket. (they sell the brackets on ebay for 150)

better brakes are always a good thing.. specially on a turbo

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

better brakes are good .one of my bosses had a porsche carrera 4 ,and if you do not wear the seatbelt when he hits the brakes you would go thru the windscreen .

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
better brakes are good .one of my bosses had a porsche carrera 4 ,and if you do not wear the seatbelt when he hits the brakes you would go thru the windscreen .

There was a full set of be series GT brakes for sale over here for 1000 bucks.. I came so close to buying them.. but I want a manual and some swaybars before I start looking at that sort of dough for brakes.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:09 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yes i know ,money does not go far when you are modifying a car .the boost controller i bought is a waste of time for ba so i wasted $300 ,going to sell it on gumtree .the tuners said they do not work on ba falcons ,the computer is not smart enough .i will just have to run the sct tunes ,and have to load the low or high boost .

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
yes i know ,money does not go far when you are modifying a car .the boost controller i bought is a waste of time for ba so i wasted $300 ,going to sell it on gumtree .the tuners said they do not work on ba falcons ,the computer is not smart enough .i will just have to run the sct tunes ,and have to load the low or high boost .

I dont' think it's a case of the computers not being smart enough.. it's more that the computer controls the boost and if you change things beyond the tune the computer will not be able to compensate...

you can get huge boost just using the tune .. I prefer the computer do it anyway as it will have a fuel table to match.

Last edited by frankieh on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yes but all i wanted the boost controller for is so that while driving i would be able to change boost levels .lets say it starts raining (low boost )or a v8 commodore at lights (high boost ) but they say that it is not possible to tune the car to suit the turbosmart e street boost controller to work on high or low boost .bugger it would have been easy to use that way instead of waiting for the next tune to load up (about 12 min )so now i have one for sale cheap ,brand new never used only taken out of packet

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

gunna wrote:
yes but all i wanted the boost controller for is so that while driving i would be able to change boost levels .lets say it starts raining (low boost )or a v8 commodore at lights (high boost ) but they say that it is not possible to tune the car to suit the turbosmart e street boost controller to work on high or low boost .bugger it would have been easy to use that way instead of waiting for the next tune to load up (about 12 min )so now i have one for sale cheap ,brand new never used only taken out of packet

got a feeling they're pullin ya d**k mate, my dohc runs an eboost 2

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

that was 3 different tuning shops that said the same thing . but i can only go after what they say mate ,i am a bit p****d about it as well .there comment is that the ba computer does exactly the same as the boost controller does ,only that i can not switch between tunes

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

gunna wrote:
that was 3 different tuning shops that said the same thing . but i can only go after what they say mate ,i am a bit p****d about it as well .there comment is that the ba computer does exactly the same as the boost controller does ,only that i can not switch between tunes

try cpv tuning

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:

I got around that with mine too.. I have something called binary editor... It can upload partial tunes while you are driving. Also hooking a laptop up to my color screen and I've converted the screen to a touchscreen as well. So in theory I could have a turbo boost button on my screen that tweaked the levels on the fly. Cost a bit more than a boost controller though.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:09 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

mitchell g wrote:
gunna wrote:

try cpv tuning

i am in caloundra (near brisbane ) ,bit far to go to cairns from here just for a tune .lol thanks mate

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

gunna wrote:
mitchell g wrote:
gunna wrote:

try cpv tuning

i am in caloundra (near brisbane ) ,bit far to go to cairns from here just for a tune .lol thanks mate

cpv is local to mackay, give him a call he knows his s**t

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok .will give them a call tomorrow .thanks

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next