Page 1 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Post subject: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

Figured I'd knock up some photos of my Xr6T before I lost them all.

This is what it looked like when I got it:

Had nearly new CSA growler 18 inch rims and Dunlop monza tyres.

Reasonably straight.. but straight away I did the following:
* Replaced extension housing with an EL one that I'd put a new bush and seal into as it was flopping around with the old one and leaking tranny fluid.
* replaced hood lining with a non sagging one after I'd died the new one black.. it looks awesome and I love it.
* replaced driving lights which were missing and broken.
* replaced steering wheel which was naffed.
* Put FG rear seat I had spare in as the old one had ciggee burns all over it.
* put chrome front grill on it.. as well as a few chrome/billet dress up engine bits.
* Put a Premium ICC in after installing a touchscreen overlay on it. (and a RGB converter). Ford tried to charge me 150 to recode the icc.. I got a mongoose cable and did it myself.
* Replaced centre exhaust section with one that has the middle muffler replaced with twin 2.4 inch straight pipe.
* made a second air intake to right up behind the headlight.
* replaced plugs, coils and various other consumables.
* New Kinugawa Adjustable Billet Turbo Actuator with 7PSI spring.
* Installed fairmont clock.
* Installed wide band air fuel guage, boost and oil pressure guages on drivers pillar on custom pods.
* Supercheap had a special on DBA disks, so got two and put them in as the old ones were wobbly. Will do me till I can upsize brakes.

Discovered in the course of all this that the Intercooler is an FPV typhoon item and the Turbo is a replacement from Turbotech which has the larger wastegate flapper.

This is the new chrome grill with the newer engine oil cooler behind it:

New DBA rotors.. a temp measure, but looks good.

Behind the Rims.

I also have a bag of 42pound Ford injectors and a 3.5 inch stainless cat that will be going in on Thursday hopefully.

I mentioned earlier that I have put a premium screen with a touch scren overlay and an RGB converter... I got an old HP 2510p laptop and put a SSD drive in it and set it up as a car poota. It fits in a docking station under the drivers seat that has a ton of ports for GPS and the like. Currently running centrafuse. I have FMP on the laptop too for those times when I feel like d**k with the ford tune.. later on I'll put the binary edit software it too. I plan to slide a big screen out of the way somewhere that I can slide out for tuning purposes but have not nutted out the details of that one yet. (I have a 12 volt 17 inch screen ready to go though) The rest of the time it's just a carpoota controlled by the touchscreen on the premium screen. (I also wired in a raspbery pi into my mates BA as his media player/GPS etc, but that is another story)

Then the car hopefully gets a basic tune file suited to my mods from BPR uploaded via my mongoose cable, Then I provide AFR's back to BPR for finer tuning. Then the car goes in for a JTG liquid LPG injection system.

After that I'll find and convert to a T56 manual gearbox and call it good, add some bigger sway bars, brakes, better shocks and rubbers ,etc etc.. the usual suspects.

I miss my EL, (not that much as what is left of it is still in my driveway), but the BA has kept me busy for a while. I have tons more photos spread all over the place, will post them as I find them.

Last edited by frankieh on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My BA XR6T build.
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Missed some stuff.

* BF XR cluster face.

* Chrome rear garnish.

* Woodgrain inserts.

* Black hood lining.

* Work in progress drivers A pillar.

There is tons of little stuff too like carpet under the boot lid, made a new door trim out of the pieces of three damaged ones etc etc. Interior is as new.. LEDs throughout, night shaded tail lights with red reflectors under the rear skirt, big tranny cooler installed (to keep the btr alive till I find a T56 conversion)... lots off other little things.

still want to put RCA's on my ICC, but I can't get the diag that used to be on here, so have to test for it now.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Got it done!

This weird contraption is now under my car.

Overboosts at the drop of a hat but it sounds mint till then.

Notice my wideband sensor in the pipe. 18 inches almost exactly from the turbo.

The pipe goes from 3 inches, two a 3.5 inch cat.. then to twin 2.4 at the end... the guy earned his dough.. (cost me 200 to fit cos he needed the Y piece and a stud was seized. worth it for the good job he did.

He suggested my next exhaust purchase be a 4 inch dump pipe, but that can wait for now.

stoked.. gotta hook up the wide band and fit the 42 lb injectors, but then ready for the new tune!

Don't think I should put the injectors in till I have the tune as it will run rich as won't it? (or can the PCM account for that?)

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Injectors I've picked up.

Part # 280 150 558 / XL3V-A9A

Googling seems to list them as Bosch.. can anyone verify?

Also just stuck a ST1-180 thermostat in... 82 degree C hi flow. Also put a big tranny cooler in too. was surprised that there is no external cooler in the factory auto at all, only the radiator one. Even my NA EL had an external cooler in edition to the radiator. Anyway, no longer have it running though the radiator.. now has roughly a square foot of cooler to lower the temps. Oil is light brown, so think it's been cooking. Going to change the fluid and filter next weekend now that it's no longer going to be cooking.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

don't know if putting the injectors in will f**k the tune and make it run rich, shouldn't because the fuel reg controles the presure? do know its a prick of a job to try and ge the fuel rail out on the barra's

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

The injectors are controlled by the ecu and the ecu is tuned for stock fuel pressure and stock injector flow. Adding larger injectors WILL run rich regardless of the stock fuel pressure

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
The injectors are controlled by the ecu and the ecu is tuned for stock fuel pressure and stock injector flow. Adding larger injectors WILL run rich regardless of the stock fuel pressure

ta.. that is what I thought.. hence the injectors sitting in a bag on my desk. will speak to the tuner tomorrow. Today I wire up my wideband.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

More good stuff.

I've loved the BF 2.5 skirts since I first saw them.. but getting hold of a set for any price is hard enough..

last night by idle chance I clicked on what were listed as BA skirts only because they were cheap.

Imagine my surprised when these showed up:

Imagine my surprise when nobody else noticed and I won them for 36 dollars. :-)

Also, got myself a XR8 humpy bonnet yesterday. it's green and has Fujitsu air on written on it (obviously a sponser from the car it was bolted to) but the price was great (350) and it's straight and genuine ford rather than aftermarket.. I will be painting this pronto.. and it also means I can start measuring to fit my water to air as well.

all in all a good day.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just picked this up for 50 bucks.

inline oil filter and braided lines for the turbo oil feed.

think I've spent enough for a while now.

got the wideband O2 in and working, just have to wire in a serial port for data logging. (and then dig up a serial to USB adaptor.)

Then I can provide AFR's for fine tuning.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Coming along nicely Frank, she must breath a bit better with the bigger cat on it :)

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Coming along nicely Frank, she must breath a bit better with the bigger cat on it :)

Yeah, previously all id done to the exhaust was to remove the middle muffler.. It got louder and deeper from that.

Putting the 3.5 inch hi flow in has almost doubled the sound output, and it is way deeper now too. Positively throbs now. :-). It must be breathing well to be that loud.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cat and dump are the next mods on my list- probably after the transmision service. I've been told that for the boost I am running (9/11 psi) the cat is no good- but the twin 2.25 should still be ok.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Cat and dump are the next mods on my list- probably after the transmision service. I've been told that for the boost I am running (9/11 psi) the cat is no good- but the twin 2.25 should still be ok.

Have you modded the wastegate yet? Might was well do that While you have the exhaust off.

I think other than the tune, I have now done enough to get the JTG gas install done. Other than my intercooler work. I have a Subaru RS turbo water to air intercooler that I bought back when I was bolting an M90 in my EL.
I also have some 2.5 inch allow pipe and an angle grinder, going to mod it so it fits on top of the rocker cover which should allow me to ditch the front intercooler and make the path from turbo much shorter and smoother. Just gotta find someone with a TIG welder. Have to change the inlet and outlet points to match the pipework.. Then I suppose I'll have to swap the battery and airbox sides to further simplify pipework. Can do that after the JTG install though.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nope wastegate is stock as far as I am aware. Previous owner was not the modding sort- she was 100% factory when I got her.

Sometime soon I will get her on the rollers and see what the guys at the shop think about the wastegate.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Nope wastegate is stock as far as I am aware. Previous owner was not the modding sort- she was 100% factory when I got her.

Sometime soon I will get her on the rollers and see what the guys at the shop think about the wastegate.

Wastegate modding won't make more power, its just a safety feature that means you can up the boost more safely... Allow enough exhaust gas to bypass the turbo if the boost gets too high.. The hole on the BA BF one is pretty small by default. I was stoked to discover mine was bored to 36mm with a flapper valve to suit. Gonna look for your build thread.. Doesnt seem to be that many b series XR Turbo owners contributing to fordmods.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next