NAII FAIRLANE 

Page 1 of 36 [ 530 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

Post subject: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Looking for some ideas on how to get some power out of my 3.9. I'm not looking at a conversion of anything like that I'm getting an au mls head gasket soon to increase compression i got it about 3 or 4 weeks ago with 4 months rego for $500 I'm 17 and don't earn very much but I'm getting things done slowly.

My future plans are pacemaker extractors, a 2.5 inch 100 cpsi venom cat, 2.5 inch mandrel bent cat back exhaust, high flow pod filter with mandrel bent pipe and silicone hose, cold air intake possibly an intercooler until I've got some money to buy a turbo kit or supercharger but that further down the road that way i just need some more piping.

I mostly want low end torque and mid range peak horsepower around the 3750 rpm range.

Any help is welcome and much appreciated.

I would add some pics of the girl but it won't let me because the size is to big.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Post subject: Re: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Figured it out here are some pics of the girl.

The water pump and radiator are out because there are new ones on the way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

done the water pump so now its all back together topped her up and now im waiting for her to dry out so she stops squealing at me.

once shes dry its time for a drive :mrgreen:

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

pod filter is a big no. they are gay.
I have had two 3.9s so far. Usually as just a start off on bolt ons I used:
A K&N panel filter
intake snorkel off a XH ute with log manifold (base pack ute, not XR6 as they had the EF/L BBM manifold)
You already have the bigger airbox to throttle body pipe, so leave that.

You're on the money with the exhaust, except make sure the 2.5" mandrel exhaust has 2 mufflers, as I made the mistake of having extractors, high flow cat and 1 muffler and it sounded horrible over 3000rpm. so I got a second muffler put in.

shorter diff gears would help too. get a 3.45 LSD out of a EB or ED XR6 as your gears now would probably be 3.23 or 3.27.

but you have to think, the 3.9 wasn't that great of a motor. If it was me I'd try source a XR6 motor and just the block in (use original 3.9 intake, they're the same bolt pattern). Then you'd have 4L bottom end, Tickford head, and swap over the XR6 Fuel pressure reg and maybe use AU 6 injectors and get a J3 chip tune.
She'd be a decent luxo barge then
Hope that helps you

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Definitely good ideas i knew of the snorkel but how much shoulder pay for one?

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
pod filter is a big no. they are gay.
I have had two 3.9s so far. Usually as just a start off on bolt ons I used:
A K&N panel filter
intake snorkel off a XH ute with log manifold (base pack ute, not XR6 as they had the EF/L BBM manifold)
You already have the bigger airbox to throttle body pipe, so leave that.

You're on the money with the exhaust, except make sure the 2.5" mandrel exhaust has 2 mufflers, as I made the mistake of having extractors, high flow cat and 1 muffler and it sounded horrible over 3000rpm. so I got a second muffler put in.

shorter diff gears would help too. get a 3.45 LSD out of a EB or ED XR6 as your gears now would probably be 3.23 or 3.27.

but you have to think, the 3.9 wasn't that great of a motor. If it was me I'd try source a XR6 motor and just the block in (use original 3.9 intake, they're the same bolt pattern). Then you'd have 4L bottom end, Tickford head, and swap over the XR6 Fuel pressure reg and maybe use AU 6 injectors and get a J3 chip tune.
She'd be a decent luxo barge then
Hope that helps you

That.

I used a pod on a 3" piece of mandrel bend steel pipe, and although it probably had the good flow effect it ultimately was sucking warmer air anyway so in hindsight of that I would have gone with the standard box XH snorkel and a decent panel filter.
Maybe get excited and try come custom pod in box setups. ;-)

Also look at the ignition.
I had 9mm leads and set up a Bosch GT40 coil. Some new plugs, cap and rotor too if you haven't already.

At 158k your engine should still have plenty of life left, so I'd spend the money buying a Tickford head with the cam (shop around and see what you can find) and getting a J3 chip with an XR6 tune (reason below), an XR6 regulator (300kpa) is pretty much all that is different to an XR spec engine anyway..

That should give you a nice cruiser till you can afford a regrind cam and vernier gear set, get the chip you already have retuned and that should make you pretty happy.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i think the going rate for a XH snorkel is around $50. I also mod my airbox even further and put a CPI snorkel in the front. You should hear the induction noise my EA gets lol

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I'm using 8mm champion leads because it still had the factory ones and i replaced the cap and rotor thanks to the father in law he owns the au Fairlane behind mine.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

anything bigger than a 9mm lead is an overkill really

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah my in law said to use 10mm leads but i was like no because their racing leads im also thinking about an oil catch can because there was a lot of blow back in the intake manifold would that help out at all?

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Also out of curiosity how do i remove my old rear speaker so i can replace them with better ones also what are the best one out there that a really bassy

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

speakers aren't made for bass really. That's what sub woofers are for.

No point fitting a catch can just to band aid fix an underlying oil issue. fix it properly.

and 10mm aren't "race leads" They can be fitted on anything. BUT 10mm the actual wire on the inside is the same size as 8.8mm. just on 10mm the insulation is bigger. They are just a wank factor really

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

The rear speakers are held down by little nuts you access from under the parcel shelf.

Shop around and see what you can find, I foun a set of 8inch speakers that were practically mini subs, they had very nice bass. Ultimately though, Subs will be your

Leads wise, there's no point going to 10mm leads, they ARE "race leads", meaning its mostly up to the rest of your setup. Leads carry the spark, the larger the diameter the better the flow. so your unlikely to need anything bigger than 8-9 for what you have. If you had a full on MSD setup dizzy and coil on a full blown drag engine then yes, go 10mm to ensure maximum spark current.

I get a pretty decent solid blue spark from mine. ;-). Kicks like a mutha!!

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

what are the speakers in the rear are they 6" also i was thinking of using Sony xplodes all round with a Sony head unit im quite good with soldering and stereo installs so it will be quite easy. once i replace the one in my fairlane it will be the fifth one ive installed.

ive also installed some inter cooler pipe and silicone pipe to replace the old intake pipe between the air box and throttle body just from doing that ive gone from 11L/100km to 10.9L/100km not much at all but saving petrol is the main thing im looking for because i do alot of highway driving.

you also didn't finish your sentence but im guessing the word missing is choice. ive got a 10" active tube fusion sub in my camry and that's staying there because i love the boot space and i dont want a sub in the fairlane that's why im looking at bassy speakers the best ive found is the sonys my dad says kenwoods but the don't have as much base. i also don't want the sub because i read they resonate alot and i have a 6 month old daughter that's why money is so tight for me.

also do i need to remove the rear shelf to replace the speakers if so how do i do it in the camry it was remove the side cushions fold the seats done then pull out little plastic clips.

ill post a pic of the new piping.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

they are 6". Fusion is a horrible brand. So is Sony for speakers. Their head units are nice. That's it.

AND have you ever seen cross sections of 8,9 and 10mm leads. The 10mm is just bigger insulation. the wire is the same size as 9mm. So no point

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 36  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next