Fordmods Logo

New ED project car 

 

Page 10 of 10 [ 150 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

The rocker cover gasket was leaking oil......so off with it, and the rocker gear, fitted that EF XR6 cam ,which is now about 150 grams lighter, fitted new HLA's, and a new gasket and PCV Valve gromet, and took it for a drive.
Feels the same up to 3,000 rpm, then pulls more than it did, and keeps going past 4,000 rpm as where the old cam felt like it wasn't doing much anymore after 4,000 rpm.
Now it needs another retune.
I was comparing the the measurement on the lobes, EA to EF XR6.....same measurement, base to lobe for inlet, but the Exhaust was more....about 1 or so millimetres.
I was also looking at where the cam gear alignment hole was in comparison between the 2 cams, and the EF one appears to be retarded ( inlet lobe ).
I didn't take any photos.....I was in a hurry so I wasn't doing it in the dark. I took me 2 & 1/2 hours to do.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

I finally got round to dyno testing the car......I got 219.5hp at the treads......161kw.
Looks like I need new valve springs.... :( .....oh well....they are on order now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

I've fitted the new valve springs, Crow Cams p# 7739-12, and it hasn't helped it at all...... :( .....looks like I'll need to tune it some more............oh wellll......

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Hey mate,

You seem to be the guy in the know about swaybars...

Read your swaybar related posts in here and here:

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/whiteline-30mm-front-swaybar-does-it-come-with-d-brackets-t108570-30.html?hilit=whiteline

I and still running std bars presently...

Do you reckon it's just easier to non adjustable bars and what size? Or are adjustable bars better?

And whats the pick for swaybar links (this is basically what's prompted this, my rubbers are starting to look a flogged out)...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Hey mate,

You seem to be the guy in the know about swaybars...

Read your swaybar related posts in here and here:

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/whiteline-30mm-front-swaybar-does-it-come-with-d-brackets-t108570-30.html?hilit=whiteline

I and still running std bars presently...

Do you reckon it's just easier to non adjustable bars and what size? Or are adjustable bars better?

And whats the pick for swaybar links (this is basically what's prompted this, my rubbers are starting to look a flogged out)...

Cheers,
Tim


I went with the adjustable front bar so as to get a better angle of attachment......IIRC, I think in the lit. supplied with the bar was something about it, if being set in the stiffest position, it was equivelant to a 32 or 34mm bar....something like that.
The sideway's movement limiters are a must with my set-up.
The front bar is a 30mm one, and the rear is a 27mm bar.....everybody that has riden in it, is amazed at how flat it is around corners and roundabouts......damn near like a Gokart.
I am very happy with the handling.....and having an LSD is a must too.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

I did a compression test the other day.....I was fitting some new spark plugs, and thought, why the hell not.....so I did a dry comp. test.
They were all 185 psi, except for #1, which was 190 psi.
The engine is approaching 150,000km.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

In the last 2 months, we have been having heaps 'n' heaps of rain.....and my headlight reflectors have shat themselves....not doing too bad I suppose....they will be 20 years this year.
Anyway, about 10 years ago, I bought new genuine Ford headlight assemblies....for my old white EA.....anyway, I fitted them to the ED today.
Should be good to drive home from work in the dark now...... :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 1114

Joined: 18th Oct 2006

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Looking nice with the new head lights have followed this thread for quite some time

p.s nice color i think i got the same color as you
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Nothing like NOS parts love it

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Looking nice with the new head lights have followed this thread for quite some time

p.s nice color i think i got the same color as you


It's not a bad colour, looks good when it is polished/waxed.......but damn, is it hot in the sun....sure makes the a/c have a work out.
I'll be doing another dyno run when the weather cools down, and the rain p!sses off.
I'm hoping for about 230 hp at the treads this time round....I think I've got the dead spot at the top end sorted now.....you'll see it in the last dyno sheet.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 1114

Joined: 18th Oct 2006

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Also i have read the thread from start to finish and your dyno runs WOW is all i can say your using OEM stuff apart from the coil set up the MSD

But why is it so high im that is so unfair :(
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Also i have read the thread from start to finish and your dyno runs WOW is all i can say your using OEM stuff apart from the coil set up the MSD

But why is it so high im that is so unfair :(


Just trial and error I suppose....... :?

The head is an EA one, with the swirl ridges left intact, just rounded off any sharp edges, and I polished the chambers as well....helps to stop carbon adherering to them.
I have also ported and polished it, and it has never been on a flow bench, so I couldn't tell you any flow figures....althought it has a 3 angle valve cut, and back cut inlets.
The bottom end is factory original, unopened, ED GLi spec.
I have Pacemaker 4480's, homade cat, and twin 2 & 1/4" exhaust and a single muffler with a single 2 & 1/2" outlet.
The ignition system is an IC&E 7amp one, with MSD H.T. leads.....it does chew through spark plugs though.
I have a piggyback Morristech ECU, adjustable via a laptop, all tuned by me.
I also have a 3" open pod air filter....open, as in not boxed in.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 1114

Joined: 18th Oct 2006

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
Also i have read the thread from start to finish and your dyno runs WOW is all i can say your using OEM stuff apart from the coil set up the MSD

But why is it so high im that is so unfair :(


Just trial and error I suppose....... :?

The head is an EA one, with the swirl ridges left intact, just rounded off any sharp edges, and I polished the chambers as well....helps to stop carbon adherering to them.
I have also ported and polished it, and it has never been on a flow bench, so I couldn't tell you any flow figures....althought it has a 3 angle valve cut, and back cut inlets.
The bottom end is factory original, unopened, ED GLi spec.
I have Pacemaker 4480's, homade cat, and twin 2 & 1/4" exhaust and a single muffler with a single 2 & 1/2" outlet.
The ignition system is an IC&E 7amp one, with MSD H.T. leads.....it does chew through spark plugs though.
I have a piggyback Morristech ECU, adjustable via a laptop, all tuned by me.
I also have a 3" open pod air filter....open, as in not boxed in.


Just a quick question regarding these cars that you would know

How hard is it to fit "bigger" valves as in over sized ones when i go to a machine shop to do it , do they put a new "helicoil" or something some type of way ?

as i want to get bigger valves when i get a port and polished
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

If you fit bigger valves, exhaust can be done, like the Tickford heads, but with the inlets, one would have to be careful that the valve doesn't strike the top of the bore.....like a 4V head on a Clevo....the top of the block is notched for this.
Fitting bigger valves may required the fitting of new, bigger seats.....and is the job for a machine shop.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: New ED project car
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 1114

Joined: 18th Oct 2006

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
If you fit bigger valves, exhaust can be done, like the Tickford heads, but with the inlets, one would have to be careful that the valve doesn't strike the top of the bore.....like a 4V head on a Clevo....the top of the block is notched for this.
Fitting bigger valves may required the fitting of new, bigger seats.....and is the job for a machine shop.


Ok cool hopefully i don't get bent over to much for that job

P.S i sent you a PM i got a theory on your car but its a secret ( its nothing bad)
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 10 of 10  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names