Fordmods Logo

New Member- EF XR6 Wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: New Member- EF XR6 Wagon
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey people.
My names phil, im a new member here. Im a frequent posted over at the e-eries forum, and ive heard lots of talk about this place, so i thought id drop by and make myself seen.

My ride is an EF XR6 wagon. 160xxxkms on the clock and on LPG. Completley bog standard when i got it 6 months ago. In that time, ive done:

-K&N fiter,
-Kenwood DVD Head Unit
-Reversing Camera
-2.5" exhaust
-Dark tint
-New headlining

What i want to do in the future?

-Lowering
-either 19" Dark agents of black FTRs
-Stealth 12" sub in the spare wheel well.
-When the head gasket goes, AU Conversion & cam
-Rear spoiler & bonnet vents need some attention in the paint department
-Shift Kit
-3" mandrel bent pipe from the airbox, isolate pod filter & eventually removie the airbox all together
-MABYE some dvd screens in the headrests
-MABYE a PS2 in the glovebox. Yes, PS2. I wanna be able to play NFS while driving damnit.

and some obligatory photos:

apart from turboing and manual, anyone else got any suggestions as to what i can do to it?

Post subject: Re: New Member- EF XR6 Wagon
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: supercharged eb

NSW, Australia

what the hell is that
phillis wrote:
got any suggestions as to what i can do to it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

..My fake plant died because I forgot to pretend to water it..

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi Phil, and Welcome!

You appear to be one of the lucky ones with an XR6 Wagon, probably the rarest E Series there is.

It looks like a nice clean ride you have there.

As for mods, what do you use your wagon for? Is it a daily driver? Do have family/kids to consider? These sort of questions will dictate what mods you undertake, and/or how far you go with some mods.

Other suggestions are upgrade the interior/electronics to Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, or Fairlane spec.

Oh, and manual wagons are the best. Do it.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

svo_matt: thats billy. hes a kinda good luck charm. its an $18 air freshener i got when i got my lisence in 2002 and its kinda just hung around since. the chicks love him. he gets more action than me at times.

BanJ- XR6 wagons are really THAT rare? awsome!! i knew they werent too frequent, but i thought there were rarer things out there!

Im a musician, so i carry alot of music gear so my back seats are usually down alot. when the missus cracks it at me, its also a very comfy place to sleep.

I kinda wanna keep it XR6 spec. i mean chrome hardware would look awsome, but i dont want to make my car something it isnt. the same reason i dont want to put an EL XR6 front on it. dont get me wrong, they look alot better than the EF's, but i dont want to make my car something it isnt :D

shift kits- im kinda handy with a soldering iron, and i dont want to spend $100 on a shift kit if i can make one for a few bucks. where can i find specific details/how to documents on how to make & install a shift kit?

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I understand where you are coming from in relation to keeping the EF XR6 spirit in the car.

It is only that you are suggesting an AU engine etc, which to me would be a departure from that way of thinking. And if you do that then the barn doors are wide open.

I personally would be keeping the EF XR6 engine if you want to maintain that EF XR6 theme, but as always, it is your car, and you should mod it the way you want it to be.

I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I see what you mean Ben (hoping thats your real name). The reason id put an AU engine in it is more reliability/power, not to brag about my car being a hybrid.

whether i put an AU engine it in, or just do the head gasket myself will depend on my bank account the week the head gasket goes :D

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

AU bottom end with the EF XR6 head makes a good combo...u end up with more compression plus u still keep the "spirit"..

approx 500 ef xr6 wags were built...i think about 450 ED versions...so yeah thats kinda rare...

ive got an Xr6 ef wag and im umming and arhing about what to do with it...its not on the road as i bought it at the auctions as an insurance write-off, the paint is fooked due to some barsted pouring paint stripper on it... but interior is immaculate and drives sooo much better than my gli wag

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Cool ride you got there man, very rare indeed 8-)

Havent seen many around at all although i did see a EF XR6 today and it was manual too. Seen it a couple of times and it really does catch your eye

I would upgrade the interior as others have mentioned. Maybe leather interior if you wanted from a Fairmont Ghia or just get your seats retrimmed with the door cards retrimmed to match

Definately lower it on some bigger rims as you are planning to, will make a big difference to how it looks :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

so your saying they only made 50ish EF xr6 wagons? jesus, i feel bad for driving this thing every day now.

fix it up man, something about a sporty looking wagon that gets the blood running :)

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

phillis wrote:
so your saying they only made 50ish EF xr6 wagons? jesus, i feel bad for driving this thing every day now.

fix it up man, something about a sporty looking wagon that gets the blood running :)

not 50...500

would love to fix her up but time and a place to do it is the big issue...

have u driven any other wags...how do u reckon they compare?

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

my last car was a VK commodore wagon, so immediatley i noticed the difference.

Before buying this, i test drove many VT, VX and VY wagons. IMO, the VT and VX's handled alot better, but there was alot less room in the back.

In all 3 commodore wagons, the transmission was slow. It didnt kick back hard and in 'power' mode, the gears changed alot earlier (at lower revs) than the ford. The commodores had alot more power low down, from 0-60km/h and they handled better (that is to say they didnt 'fall' into a corner like most wagons), but the EF had alot more between 3000 and 5000 revs, and the interior/seats in the EF just held me alot better. it felt alot sportier- like it knew what it was doing when it was being driven hard(ish)

I drove an ED GLi wagon- it was just kinda boring. Im not a fan of boxcar interiors, and it didnt perform anything like the EF XR6 did.

I also drove a VY SS wagon. That was awsome. But i CBF filling up a 5litre V8 600 times a week. aaaaand the $30k price tag was a bit of a downer.

Post subject: Re: New Member- EF XR6 Wagon
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

phillis wrote:
-When the head gasket goes, AU Conversion & cam

apart from turboing and manual, anyone else got any suggestions as to what i can do to it?

if your going au conversion, your cam options become more limited. i'd suggest porting the head and then doing the cam.

welcome to the site and a very cool ride you have there indeed.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

phillis wrote:
I also drove a VY SS wagon. That was awsome. But i CBF filling up a 5litre V8 600 times a week. aaaaand the $30k price tag was a bit of a downer.

5.7 litre :P haha.

anyways, nice wagon mate, you got a good buy.

bigger rims,
lowered.
and she'll be sweet for now

keep us updated!

XR8 UTE: Low && Loud

Holdens were never designed to turn, brake or accelerate... as long as you can slam in subwoofers and dump it on rims 60% of australias 17-25 yo population are happy

Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

phillis wrote:

5.7 litre :P haha.

anyways, nice wagon mate, you got a good buy.

bigger rims,
lowered.
and she'll be sweet for now

keep us updated!

XR8 UTE: Low && Loud

Holdens were never designed to turn, brake or accelerate... as long as you can slam in subwoofers and dump it on rims 60% of australias 17-25 yo population are happy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]