Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: New to it all!! 98 EL Cruiser customisation
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey folks...

Just thought I'd say G'day and intro myself and my "ride" (lol).

I've had a 98 EL (Cruiser) for about 5 years now, and it's starting to get a bit more than "dated". So, without any training, knowledge, or background in automotive ANYTHING, I've decided to renovate the family car.

Probably sounds like a dumb idea, I know... but I figured if I can teach myself computers, mobile phones, and single parenting, I reckon I can do this.

Like I say, she's 98 EL Cruiser... previous owner... QLD Police Force... Bought it from one of those really expensive finance companies up there for probably 3x what it's worth... but it's paid of and mine now! Standard Dynamic White and Mako Grey, standard 15x7 wheels, nothing exceptional under the hood. Before I started on this I took a few happy snaps to introduce my baby.

Attachment:
IMG_0143.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0144.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0146.JPG

Please note... I haven't washed the car in AGES and it's parked outdoors.... but that will change when the paint gets done... my poor brother's VR Calais One-Tonner will be banished to the car park!

Attachment:
IMG_0160.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0165.JPG

So that's her as she sits right now... Just earned herself 320,000kms. It's the right time to replace and check everything... so here we go!!

I'll try to post with photos and questions at every upgrade... please be patient... I know bugga all, except for the information I have found here, and in the Workshop Manual, and the three or four Falcon Nuts I know around town... :)

Hope to have a tonne of fun with this...

Edit:: Upon reading my post and looking at the photos I've taken of the EL... I have already replaced the factory head unit and speakers with Sony xplod's. Cause I got a car full of kids, it can't be hoon-loud, but it's still loud enough to rattle the windows when you push it. There's 2x50w 6" in the front doors, and a set of 2x75 (50w 6" + 25w 2") mounted on the parcel shelf. Bein a noob, I've hooked it up wrong, and it has no passive power feed and radio antenna (both on the list).... And I added the iPhone holder on the windscreen (duh!).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From the keyboard of me...
Mattee
1998 EL Falcon (Police Chaser - Opt20)
4.0L 6cyl Auto -- 325,000kms (Nov-2012)
Slotted Rotors... SuperLow Monroe GT Shocks/King Springs...

Post subject: Re: New to it all!! 98 EL Cruiser customisation
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Welcome.

There is no better way to learn about your car than to start doing the servicing yourself. Use the technical documents as a guide for simple mods, and then work on to harder things from there.

I am looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

Looking forward to this thread. Working on your own car sure is rewarding, and you know you've done the job right.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Post subject: New to it all!! 98 EL Cruiser customisation - First Steps..
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So I cleaned up the EL a little... Wash and interior. Looks a little better now :D

Put on a set of Geotred's to make-do until I get my new wheels. While I was down around the front putting in some new brake pads, I found the tie-rod ends and rotors were both more than a little worn. Oh No!! Well that explains why braking was like giving a Parkinsons' patient a Bear-Hug :lol:

After I panicked... for just a moment... it hit me that I'm actually doin' this! A big surprise for yours' truly. A quick couple of calls, and I secured myself a pair of tie-rod ends, bearing kits, slotted rotors (thanx Forumites for the info on that little pickle), and of course, grease and fluids.

Suddenly, working on my car just got REALLY real! Anyway, the only real trouble I had was cracking the seal on the locking nut on the RHS... A bit of a tough nut for a skinny little nerd like me! Job's done... here's a quick shot of the handy-work. (Sorry its fuzzy, I couldn't hold the phone still and I was too greasy to be allowed inside to get the camera!!)

Attachment:
IMG_0046.JPG

Whipped her down to Tyrepower for a balance and alignment, and sweeeeet!!

Now that the EL drives and handles better, I'm noticing a few other steering/suspension issues.... Like it's creaking a bit up front - I think the springs might be getting a little iffy. I found a nice set of Monroe Shocks and King Springs on eBay that'll lower it by about 30mm, here's the link...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330772438046?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_1256wt_1180

I'd appreciate any input on this one... I have one question that I need answered really -

If I put this package on my EL... Would it be wise to do the wheel upgrade at the same time, or can that be left for a bit longer and added later??

I ask this, because the wheels and tyres will be another $1000 on top....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330772493748?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_1021wt_1180

Cheers Guys....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mattee

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Excellent work.

I like the rotors. Do you have a link for where you got them from and for how much?

Re the wheels in the link, they are for AU onwards only. The offset is different to your car.

You can run adaptors, but there is question over legality and your insurance may be voided if you need to claim.

Many have run adaptors for years with no issues, but there are a couple of horror stories too.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Excellent work.
I like the rotors. Do you have a link for where you got them from and for how much?

I kinda feel guilty about the rotors. They're Reliance brand, and I got them from this back-alley old-time workshop from a guy who looked like he helped design the production line for the Model-T. I only paid $85.00 each for them - he even asked me if that was the right price AND he stayed open late on Friday arvo so I could drive into town and pick them up!

UPDATE:: Since posting this, I've also picked up the rear Rotors from the same workshop for a paultry $80 each (freight incl.)

Kinda down about the rims and not really keen on running adaptors (given the questionability)... They go really nice with the Bumble-Bee paint job I wanted.

After some quick reading, (duh!), the ET6 information appeared before me! So... these are the new "choice" wheels for the EL....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280755892657?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_2250wt_1180

Cheers for the info BenJ
Mattee.

Mattee

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]