Fordmods Logo

Nissan Datsun 720. Some Progress Pics. 

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Froudey's New Project. = Best way to repair / fix rust?
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Its going to be hard. To find the rust like that in the roof where it is it can be guaranteed there will be lots more in there as well.
I know when I opened the can of worms on my Maverick when I started I had a heap bigger job then originally thought. I still have a lot more to do to.
If you want to keep it cut it and weld it but be preparred to do a lot of cutting and welding.
If you are just doctoring it up Sikaflex a panel on the inside , throw a bit of POR15 or similar in to seal it and bog away.

I thought that about the possibilty of rust and alike but after some spirited tapping around the car and the roof area and alike, found there is a bit of rust in the lower area of the drivers door, and the bonnet.

Guards, no rust the lower area of the cab is fine. I will see what the go is with the roof. I think once I get into it with a wire brush wheel etc I will soon see. I am happy to cut and weld abit (time will tell lol) I don't want to use bog unless I have to use it etc.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmmm another thing to ad to my list. I think I need a new combination switch or something. you can turn the wipers and blinkers on with out the key turned on... with out the key for that matter. I think that I may have to have play with the wiring as went to move it so we can get the cars around the back yard and no dash lights... but yet there is a toggle switch that turns them on and the parkers on. Lights are stuck on him beam.

OH well.. early days 8-)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

nice ute, always liked the 720's. there a few running around canberra minitrucked etc and a 2 tone one with an SR20DET. if i was you id cut out as much as possible, then use a rust treatment and then fill or find a donor panel from some where cut to size and re shape that curver and weld it from behind if ya can and then bog the top. if it looks like crap then buy some black vinyl to glue down and make it like the old datto hardtops haha

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Hmmm another thing to ad to my list. I think I need a new combination switch or something. you can turn the wipers and blinkers on with out the key turned on... with out the key for that matter. I think that I may have to have play with the wiring as went to move it so we can get the cars around the back yard and no dash lights... but yet there is a toggle switch that turns them on and the parkers on. Lights are stuck on him beam.

OH well.. early days 8-)

Pretty sure the combination switch from a 180B/200B is the same as the 720

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

p****d'N'broke wrote:
nice ute, always liked the 720's. there a few running around canberra minitrucked etc and a 2 tone one with an SR20DET. if i was you id cut out as much as possible, then use a rust treatment and then fill or find a donor panel from some where cut to size and re shape that curver and weld it from behind if ya can and then bog the top. if it looks like crap then buy some black vinyl to glue down and make it like the old datto hardtops haha

hmm that would be different but I want to try and do it as good as possible in the backyard,

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

I've actually got a 720 myself Froudey. Mine used to be my grandfathers. Had a 2.2 litre diesel and 4 speed column shift. I blew that up so replaced it with a 2 litre petrol and 5 on the floor. Sunraysias and a set of 9292 sports seats finshed it off until we took the liberty of adding a couple of 5 inch stacks which are actually hooked up :twisted:
I think you will find someone has taken the carby off a 180b or the like as they had linkages while the 720 had a cable setup all the way to the carby.
Couple of tips: Wheels are real easy to get as they are standard six stud (Hilux etc). The combination switch is (as far as I know) unique to a 720. Mine has a switch off a 200b on it but the cowling on the column doesn't fit.

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Dog wrote:
I've actually got a 720 myself Froudey. Mine used to be my grandfathers. Had a 2.2 litre diesel and 4 speed column shift. I blew that up so replaced it with a 2 litre petrol and 5 on the floor. Sunraysias and a set of 9292 sports seats finshed it off until we took the liberty of adding a couple of 5 inch stacks which are actually hooked up :twisted:
I think you will find someone has taken the carby off a 180b or the like as they had linkages while the 720 had a cable setup all the way to the carby.
Couple of tips: Wheels are real easy to get as they are standard six stud (Hilux etc). The combination switch is (as far as I know) unique to a 720. Mine has a switch off a 200b on it but the cowling on the column doesn't fit.

Cool some helpful information,, So if I get a proper carby from another 720 it should be simple as installing the carby and installing cable on linkage on carby. I am going to look into getting a manual or something on the car so I can start fixing the wires etc that have been cut etc.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Been driving one of these round myself for the past 12 months. Just taken it off the road (bought a 4x5 triton). Like yours, rust is a problem. I changed mine from a 4spd column shift to a 5 on the floor, made a big difference. Also fitted a 2 inch sports system, hell loud. If you are interested, I have a side mount delorto carby and manifold to suit the L18. Could do with a kit through it, but otherwise should be great. Also, check ebay, cause there is heaps of new aftermarket things like rubbers available for these.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Low EL wrote:
Been driving one of these round myself for the past 12 months. Just taken it off the road (bought a 4x5 triton). Like yours, rust is a problem. I changed mine from a 4spd column shift to a 5 on the floor, made a big difference. Also fitted a 2 inch sports system, hell loud. If you are interested, I have a side mount delorto carby and manifold to suit the L18. Could do with a kit through it, but otherwise should be great. Also, check ebay, cause there is heaps of new aftermarket things like rubbers available for these.

I have looked on ebay and I found alot of new aftermarket items like 1/4 window rubbers front windscreen rubbers etc..

Today since I didn't work I had go at the rust and EVL wasn't wrong, but it seems it isn't that bad, the rust starts near the front of the turret and goes to the top of the (c??? pillar) but is only confined to that area. I peeled the roof up away from the rust and removed the water channel and since I have done that it looks really mangable. I just have to get around to borrowing my father's angle grinder to neaten it up.

Question? My old man has an EF shell that he brought to use to fix his other EF that some little p plater ran into etc. Now would sheet metal cut from the roof or rear quarters from the ef shell would that be fine to use as metal to replace the rusted out metal in the Datsun / Nissan?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

check the thickness of the metal on the ef with verniers and if its the same or very close thickness it shouldnt distort too much when you weld/tack it in.

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
The Dog wrote:

Cool some helpful information,, So if I get a proper carby from another 720 it should be simple as installing the carby and installing cable on linkage on carby. I am going to look into getting a manual or something on the car so I can start fixing the wires etc that have been cut etc.

If you don knock the carby off of a 720, make sure you get the ceremic spacer from underneath. The spacer is also unique to a 720. If you don't get it, the cable does not clear the manifold. The wiring is actually very basic on them (in comparison to anything with any sort of ecu :lol: ). Good luck buddy. If you need any help with any info give me a buzz (I have had mine almost completely to pieces and learnt the hard way what fits off other Dattos :roll: )

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think I have a plan. I will get the rust sorted paint it with pressure pack and that. Then look at the interior and then move to the whole issue with the accelerator cable etc.... On friday I think I will pull the instrument cluster out and see if what is the go is with the lights and alike...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Looks like Sunday will be the day that I attempt some rust repair on the turrent, not really looking forward to it has I will have to remove the roof lining so the welding doesn't start a fire lol... I have the whole thing pictured in my head on how and what I am going to do..

This is what I am thinking. I will cut some skin off the drivers side rear 1/4 panel using a cutting disc or something and clean / cut the rust affected areas off the turret and clean all the surface rust and then mount the replacement skin on and use some wood or something to help steady it while I place acouple of tacs to start me off.

I will hope to using a gasless mig weld it up. I am not the best welder in the would but I think I will manage. I hope to take some photo's of what I did playing around with a screw driver and multigrips lol... tomorrow.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Picture says it I think . Looks like a mess but easyily clean up.

I started it up today as I havn't started in the a few days and it seemed like the automatic choke was on for ages...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Froudey's New Rust Fix started... sorta lol
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I went out my old man's place today and started to cut up the old ef he has.

Went thru a couple cutting blades etc will post pics up soon....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next