Fordmods Logo

Project EA ( Barra DOHC Conversion ) 

Page 15 of 17 [ 248 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post subject: Re: Project EA ( Barra DOHC Conversion )
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
haha ye same here.. Is the idea of the loom thing to use the ba loom from the computer and us the eb cluster conetions and link them to the ba loom? or am i way off

nah thats about it ina nutshell ..... someone used the EB cluster with BA guts .. forgotten who :mrgreen:

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb ford falcon ghia

NSW, Australia

going to put a el xr8 engine in my eb now. the only thing is the xr8 has no key and has smart lock eny ideas of how easy this conversion is? its a v8 and 4speed auto box

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

V8 is still a Windsor, same as went into the EB, as is the auto.

Ignition is no issue as they are the same ignition barrel that was fitted to the EB. You will need the full engine bay loom and possibly the dash loom depending on what you want to do with the EL BCM. Smartlock can be bypassed using a bypass module.

Is you EB smartlock?

You will also need an EB/ED V8 K Frame.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 90' Ford Fairlane SVO

I'm strongly considering going with a Barra conversion for my "90 SVO Fairlane in the near future, most likely out of an FG XR6T, along with a T56. Besides the T56, is everything else pretty much the same as the BA conversion?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 90' Ford Fairlane SVO

Concerning my conversion with an NA Fairlane, will I be able to somehow keep my digital dash and climate control? I really want to keep with a period feel, so no dash conversions for me.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im pritty sure the fairlanes are pritty much the same engine bays man.. i could be wrong about that1 tho.. as far as i can under stand about the conversion, you keep you ecu to run your cars s**t. then you use the barra pcm to run the engine. so after your conversion your car will have 2computers in it, 1running the engine and 1running the cars dash and other stuff. with the barras pcm you need to get a tuner to turn off the smart lock and abs brakes, and mybe afew other things

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
im pritty sure the fairlanes are pritty much the same engine bays man.. i could be wrong about that1 tho.. as far as i can under stand about the conversion, you keep you ecu to run your cars s**t. then you use the barra pcm to run the engine. so after your conversion your car will have 2computers in it, 1running the engine and 1running the cars dash and other stuff. with the barras pcm you need to get a tuner to turn off the smart lock and abs brakes, and mybe afew other things

same engine bay ... & what ya said is roughly it in a nutshell :mrgreen:

McLeod wrote:
Concerning my conversion with an NA Fairlane, will I be able to somehow keep my digital dash and climate control? I really want to keep with a period feel, so no dash conversions for me.

from what i've read, you can keep the cluster but not 100% sure on what was done to keep original aircon.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was just reading another forum and the guy took out his ecu and loom and put the ba loom thru his car. Just left the sensors plugs unpluged that have no sensors there. Like abs, traction control and then used a tunner to dissable them in the pcm. For me im woundering if i can just bolt on a ba k frame/fornt suspention straight onto my eb with no mods. That would also give me bigger brakes on the front :D. I was going to keep it as stock as posible but now i might put as much xr6 parts in as i can. dash, seats.. Well thats about it hahaha.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
I was just reading another forum and the guy took out his ecu and loom and put the ba loom thru his car. Just left the sensors plugs unpluged that have no sensors there. Like abs, traction control and then used a tunner to dissable them in the pcm. For me im woundering if i can just bolt on a ba k frame/fornt suspention straight onto my eb with no mods. That would also give me bigger brakes on the front :D. I was going to keep it as stock as posible but now i might put as much xr6 parts in as i can. dash, seats.. Well thats about it hahaha.

most BA/Bf use abs to tell speed [except some utes? ] so yes you 'should' be able to fit the BA/BF looms to the E series [Timm has fitted the AU series 2/3 looms & engine to he's EB. :roll: no you cannot put the BA K frame OR front suspension WITHOUT modifying the front rails! there currently "is" someone selling modified front suspension with larger brakes for the E series on ebay ... read on here where someone put an AU into their E series [forgoten who] fitting AU is similar [if not same as fitting BA/BF etc etc]. as to putting dash etc, there are a coupla members that have ... will need ta mod EB to fit dash as well. the BA parts i'm using i don't think has the gearbox speedo [sedan not ute] so i'm not sure how i will get the speedo to work either via speedo sensor or abs sensor?? 1st off i will get it working with a manual box & then 'fiddle' with it. will hopefully be able to 'read' PCM myself & 'adjust' ........ will get there lol :roll:

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so many sensors on new cars its not funny. im not realy a fan on abs brakes. What do you think the best way to go, wire the hole ba loom into the eb or keep my loom and ecu, and keep the ba pcm just running the engine. same as what g.falcon did. also my rims are au+ rims not pre au, that is another reason i was looking into the hole ba k frame change over rather than just moding my eb k frame. the rim thing is no big deal tho. What do you think is a easier job, k frame of rails how dose the speedo work of the abs? marks on the disk the sensor reads or sumthing? could you use the abs sensor and make you own mark if thats the case. I think my old be uses a cog in the gearbox. i read sumwere you can change the cog to adjust the speedo if you put bigger wheels on you car

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

Have just read the build on this car very nice progress keep up the good work

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
so many sensors on new cars its not funny. im not realy a fan on abs brakes. What do you think the best way to go, wire the hole ba loom into the eb or keep my loom and ecu, and keep the ba pcm just running the engine. same as what g.falcon did. also my rims are au+ rims not pre au, that is another reason i was looking into the hole ba k frame change over rather than just moding my eb k frame. the rim thing is no big deal tho. What do you think is a easier job, k frame of rails how dose the speedo work of the abs? marks on the disk the sensor reads or sumthing? could you use the abs sensor and make you own mark if thats the case. I think my old be uses a cog in the gearbox. i read sumwere you can change the cog to adjust the speedo if you put bigger wheels on you car

yeah a lot more electronics ....

as to best way to go . . . all depends on what YOU want to do to ya EB. for front brakes without modding front end?? hava look at the link below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171577148677?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

as too k frame or rails....... do k frame as there IS a lot involved in modding rails for the 'average' joe blow. as too abs & gearbox ... dunno

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Big job to fit au/ba/bf k frame... Someone did it in an El... Nearly none of the bolts lined up... Had to cut sections of rails out to weld in crush tubes to line up with the new k frame sections... If you don't put crush tubes in you'll obviously crush the rails... If you f**k your measurements up when you're mounting it all up you won't have enough adjustment to wheel align it... Same guy on here had au irs in his El too... Coulda been 5 years ago that I saw that but...

Your Na cluster won't need the computer to function... Not sure about the climate control though... There is no data lines on the ea between modules but so I doubt the computer has much input to the climate control...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wow that sound like heaps more work alright. moding the k frame is for sure the way to go. damm those upgraed brakes look nice they almost cost as much as the engine conversion hahaha.
im going to go with the k frame mod. tossing up weather to drill holes lower on the engine mount to drop the engine abit or put a different bonnet on? probly drill the holes tho.
Also the wiring loom dont know if i should wire the hole ba loom right thru, or just use it to run the engine? As for climate control, I only have aircon so that will make it abit easier.
Im hopeing to get a ba engine+loom and pcm for $500 next week. so at the least il be able to start on a few things. still got sum, if, buts and umms about a couple of things.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
wow that sound like heaps more work alright. moding the k frame is for sure the way to go. damm those upgraed brakes look nice they almost cost as much as the engine conversion hahaha.

Im hopeing to get a ba engine+loom and pcm for $500 next week. so at the least il be able to start on a few things. still got sum, if, buts and umms about a couple of things.

yeah like i said .. not for most of us :mrgreen: yeah brakes bit $$ buuuut :roll: .... 500 clams for only the engine/loom & pcm :shock: ...got mine for 300$ less front bumper/radiator/headlight, so it gives parts for her BF :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 17  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next