Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 22 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Have both front shocks out of the ute and will be changing springs and shocks to SL lovel springs with gabriel ultra shocks.I can work out how much to lower the rear,also can't find slicks in 14" mainly 16" anyway so may get some different wheels I think.
But check out the spring compressor tool,my dad actually made these as part of his apprenticeship as a mechanic in Scandinavia before coming to Australia,very impressive-ol school oxy and acetalen welding.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So as I'll be using the CRS engine mounts I want a solid/semi solid transmission mount-as even a new btr trans mount is sloppy as hell,so the mount in the picture (if not this then similar,but this is closer dimensions) I can modify the trans mount to suit within reason.Should keep everything firm but still have some slight give.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

so trying to work out the seat and steering wheel/column geometry and how I need to mount the seat,the so called quick release steering adapter in the picture is far from snap on and quick release and I will be getting a different one but it does feel a lot better with that extension at least,sitting further back with the kirkey but still being able to reach the pedals and the shifter.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Finally got the extension housing off and removed trans crossmember and looks like the poly mount should work really well in height its only 3-4mm smaller but by the time I weld a flat plate in where the cavity is for the mount that'll make up that small difference anyway,and the distance between the extension housing holes and the mounts bolts are close but not close enough,so I'll be enlarging the holes so that the bolts go through and just use some large washers on top with nylock nuts and we have a solid mount to match/work with the solid poly engine mounts.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So after giving the EL to my dad I've ended up with his old BA,still cant believe the EL is in so much better condition than the BA is,but after driving it home (BA that is)- engine and gearbox are in good shape,brought the engine up to operating temperature-removed fuel relay and ran engine till stall,then removed the coil cover coils and plugs (3 coil grommets missing and 3 of 6 spark plug R/C seals leaking with No:1 being full of oil)blows me away that these engines can be run with oil level bottom of dip stick with no/minimal damage to the engine,have seen them running perfectly with nearly all the spark plug holes full of water and like this one No:1 full of oil (to the top of the boot on the coil and 2 more which were 1/4 full of oil)and you can't really tell any difference in the way the engine runs or performs.
Compression check on this engine after 249,000kms was not bad.
No:1 240 psi
No:2 225 psi
No:3 220 psi
No:4 230 psi
No:5 230 psi
No:6 220 psi

Think No:1 was higher due to the fact that the oil in the spark plug hole I couldn't get out and would have leaked back into the cylinder bore.
Still fairly healthy though. And will be a backup for the ute as I don't have complete confidence in the $99 barra special.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So did some working out with the trans mount and the BA extension housing is better suited for the modified mount and crossmember,so I just removed some material inward in both sides evenly enough so that the bolts go through nicely still need to make a top flat plate for it (that's easy) but looks like everything should line up nicely hey.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

This is a closer look at the almost final product,like I said before it needs a flat plate to go over the cavity of where the OEM bush was,so the plate in the pic is part of the BA trans mount set up that I've knocked out the studs in and flipped and milled out holes to suit new bolts,just have to take some off the top lips for it to sit flat on the extension housing.
The ruff looking aluminum washers are to go on top of the box.But need to get longer screw cap bolts to suit.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So in other news;I got my other "actual snap on" steering wheel adapter which works really well and I can use them together which then allows me 70mm of adjustability along with the steering column still being adjustable and as a starting point I will probably have to use my old seat rails and have made a start on some aluminum brackets to mount the seat to the rail.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Very oddly satisfying feeling painting an engine block. Am fairly sure that the cold side of the engine has been done but the hot side really needed some enamel loven so cleaned it up with a wire brush on my Bosch cordless drill,blew it with the compressor,wax & grease removal, etch primer (1 hour), primer (1hour), satin black (1 hour/with touch ups within that hour till done) and it all went good,hardest part really is the masking off and preparing the block..

And I can tell you that from experience that this Enamel paint stands up against most engine enamel paints that I've used previously.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Sorry I meant hot side looks too be sort of done,that's obviously the cold side I just painted, bloody idiot (me that is)!
Will go over other side anyway.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So have been trying to work out how I can run a much shorter serpentine belt to delete the AC,will look into that before I just end up running the AC compressor as a idler pulley again.
Also getting stuff sorted on the cold side.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
So have been trying to work out how I can run a much shorter serpentine belt to delete the AC,.

i did see 'somewhere' about this being done .... not sure what Fb group it was...........

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mad2 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:
So have been trying to work out how I can run a much shorter serpentine belt to delete the AC,.

i did see 'somewhere' about this being done .... not sure what Fb group it was...........

Yeah me too, didn't they do something like that on the barra Bedford on skidfactory YouTube?will have to rewatch...

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

Yeah me too, didn't they do something like that on the barra Bedford on skidfactory YouTube?will have to rewatch...

no didn't see it there.

Sort by  
 Page 22 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next