Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 1 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

Post subject: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hey guys, thought I'd do a bit of a build thread on my XG ute, its a 94 XG Falcon ute I bought a few years ago,and like all Falcon's I've owned it had to modified a bit.
Mods before Barra included EF thermo fans and switch-AU injectors-big pod filter, AU seats/EB sedan centre console alarm and central locking-EF XR6 wheels which I changed to some Dragways with Bridgestone eagers 340's on the rear, was going to get a good tune on a J3 chip but circumstances and funds took me in another direction.
P.S. I know it's not a FPV-Yet-but for now its a Falcon Partiallyperforming Vroomvroom :roll: , so now FPV cant sue me I'll continue
All my parts were collected over a period of three years, as I sold a part I bought a part & so on
Cheers, Johnny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Once I saw a few people doing Barra conversion's I was inspired to do the same so I started researching and collecting parts,Got a low km Barra 182 for $99-FG Manifold for $200 then the usual of 20% Underdrive and extractors,then a T5 came up from a EF XR6 that hadn't even done 100,000 km's and came complete with trans mount clutch and a manual driveshaft -got it for the awsome price of $250, heres some pics.
The front end had been fully redone all nolathane bushes add kelpro upper and lower control arm bushes-heavy duty gas shocks-wasp stabilizer link pin kit & a good used xg steering box/spring seat saddles-everything but the steering coupling, all parts were cleaned preped and painted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Then the parts gathering continued with the Cube short shifter (in pic above) & a xtreme clutch kit + a AU T5 bellhousing, BA billet engine mounts (chassis mount plates were to be modified to work)mal wood clutch pin kit-EF manual pedal box (for the clutch and possibly brake pedal) BA ute I6 ECU, BA chassis loom (complete front to back), and paid a guy to flash the ECU for $250 via evilbay (he supplies ECU) this however did not go to plan which turned out to be a good thing.
I also got a complete BA XR6 Falcon Ute N/A to get the remaining parts needed + a spare Barra 182 & 4-speed auto for the wifes BA sedan.
so after nearly two months of waiting for my ECU-I got the poops and rang him (he explained he was having software problems and would refund my money straight away) soon as I got off the phone with him I was on ebay looking for HP Tuner software and incredibly a guy had just put on HP Tuner Pro only done two ECU's-meaning two left from original credits $500, I offered $400 he came back with $450-DONE!/Yea baby!

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So I'm starting to get closer to being ready to go ahead with the conversion-still buying parts all the while (turbo and n/a) and as I'm sure a lot of you guys do the same I do a bit of dismantling (ford only)via ebay & Gumtree to keep our cars on the road and to feed the modifying bug, but at the same time always looking for parts-found a BF XR6 Turbo 6-speed manual ECU starting at 99c (he advertised it wrong) anyway I ended up winning the auction for $12-13 + $8 postage-the day I received it I put it straight back on ebay for $350 + postage and it was sold within 4 days-money went straight towards parts-this has happened 4 times different parts of course.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So all my research into the conversion had been focused on the ute being a five speed manual, wiring and parts-but now circumstances changed again and I had to find a way to get the conversion done-fast as I could, so I made the decision to go with the auto 4-speed In the Blue BA (keep the boxes and engines together) & do a straight swap as the BA & XG were nose to nose, easy I thinks :lol:
So I removed Barra & box together.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

So new kelpro engine and transmission mounts (dont use transmax-holes need to be redrilled in order to use them), with the heater pipes I used a combination of BA (on hot side) & XG on the other side, the oil pressure switches BA & EB were used (pic below) and because the BA thermostat housing doesn't have a temp sensor I used an adapter in the top radiator hose, EF Thermo fans were used connected to the BA ECU/PCM via EF Fan connectors for easy removal, XG transmission cooler lines were used with the XG radiator & trans cooler.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

Can't wait to see the build continue! Eagerly watching.

Is that bonnet bulge steel or fiberglass?

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

fullyforded wrote:
Can't wait to see the build continue! Eagerly watching.

Is that bulge steel or fiberglass?

Hi mate, yea I wish it was a steel one-just fiberglass but not really needed for the conversion-just needed to cut a peice of the bonnet brace-I'll post a pic, will probably use it when I do the body work though, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Tiptronic shifter for the 4-speed, you do need to give the trans tunnel hole a shave (see pic) its very little and the original holes are still there if needed, Im still using the EB centre console but made an extension/cover with the BA top plate to give it a sort of factory appearance.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Throttle Pedal FBW, for my throttle pedal I used the original XG bracket (removed pedal and rod) and cut one of the BA bonnet brackets and with a few modification's I ended up with this-bit of trial & error getting the pedal in the best position, and I used 7core trailer wire for the throttle wiring (got that idea from Benj's awsome build thread) heres a couple of pics.
ECU/PCM Pins needing connecting to throttle pedal FBW-7 wires↓

B21 APPS_RTN1 grey
B19 APPS3 white & red
B17 APPS1 yellow & white
B18 APPS2 white
B20 APPS_VREF1 yellow & blue
B28 APPS_VREF2 brown
B29 APPS_RTN2 black

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

couldnt be bothered reading your thread but the pictures make up a pretty good description, cool project!

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

8-)
bry40l wrote:
couldnt be bothered reading your thread but the pictures make up a pretty good description, cool project!

Wow that sentance is a bit of a oxymoron,but cheers anyway,
A few other parts for the ute include hardlid,XH rear bumper,XH Electric mirrors, sunroof (will be adding some reinforcment around it) and a fully recondition AU ute 3:45.1 LSD done a bit over 5000 kms.bit of a drive to get it but well worth it for the price :D , the bodywork will be included in this thread later, cheers, Johnny.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'll get into some of the electrical side of it soon if people are interested - although young Bayden has done an awsomely detailed job of his EA dohc conversion electricly, and most of the info needed is there,I'll use his thread as a guide when I do the other engine (the one with the fg manifold & -5 speed) in either my EF-XR6 sedan or XE Sedan, any suggestions guys?, anyway I'll continue -and try not to crap on to much-but add as much relavant info as I can, will edit everything as I go over coming days/weeks.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
bry40l wrote:
Wow that sentance is a bit of a oxymoron,but cheers anyway
I think you're reading him wrong - he's not knocking your thread.
I didn't read much myself as a DOHC conversion I probably wouldn't do - but as he says, the pics show good detail. For someone interested and doing this, what you've put together is excellent.
Between this and GrannyFalcon's thread, the content from whoa to go is covered really well.

Years ago - a few people were claiming conversions - nobody was prepared to part with the knowledge though.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Driveshaft;
I did some measurements when I had the extension housings off both the BA & XG boxs and the output shaft legnth is identical-BA shaft even had the hole for the speedo cog-the only difference was in the length of the extension housing being the XG was a 1/2cm shorter than the BA.(have the exact measurements here in my notes if anybody needs them)

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next