Fordmods Logo

rainoffire's EL XR6 - Finally Tuned at CVE! 

Page 5 of 6 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: rainoffire's EL XR6
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 ba classic

VIC, Australia

looking real nice man keep up the goods :)

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF falcon

VIC, Australia

nice work buddy :P

EF falcon futura 5 speed manual, SL front springs SSL rear springs, LSD, pacemakers and 2.5" zorst

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

rainoffire wrote:
So now my plan is to take it to the CVE dyno day on the 7th, do a couple of runs with AFR on them. .
Going to be a good day at CVE - be good to see what result your get - then add J3 chip and AFF Drag Nationals June, 2011 :)

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: elxr6 turbo/te cortina 302w

NSW, Australia

love the venom bar on the elxr..i cant wait to get my el xr6 back from the panel shop with fresh respray :D

JUST LIKE A MIDGET AT A URINAL, I BEST BE ON MY TOES

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I thought the 6TAA was a manual XR6, thanks for confirming that SLO247, don't know whats going on with the workshop, usually they are pretty good!! Yeah most aftermarket kits usually got too over the top, I think the venom does a good job because its not that much more out there than a factory bar with a lip. Seeing as you like factory kits though, I'll finally put some pictures up with the rest of the factory kit on it, only got the side skirts on the other day. Definately looking much nicer now! I really wish the first owner had optioned the kit, would have saved me a lot of time haha :P

elmattxr, thats a very nice looking EL, love the subtle look of not running the red strips on it, damn you for getting the body kit factory fitted though. What colour respray, just back to original? Good amount of power that XR is pushing out, how much boost have you got going into it? I was tryiing to decide whether to go turbo when I started by build, was on my P's though so I went N/A. But I was off them before I finished the car anyway. Been thinking about it again now, 10:1 comp is no good though :?

Hey DRHEMI, I've read quite a few of your posts around the forums. What exactly have you done to your car, thats a pretty damn good time for an auto!! I've already booked in for the AFF nationals in Heathcote, only going to the Friday nite Test'n'Tune though, seeing as its my first time to the drags. If I get a low 15 I will be totally stoked.

I see you've got your power listed as 180kw, that was my initial aim from this build, its a decent chunk of N/A power you have there! I was hoping with the CMS 2A cam in it that I could get 150-160kw, then when I upgrade to GRA and a CMS stage 3 and a dyno tune, maybe 170-180rwkw. At the moment I'm not sure I want to get it dynoed at the CVE day, might be a bit embarassing. Feels to me like its only got around the 130rwkw mark. I timed it on the weekend and its actually faster on gas than petrol

It's really wierd, from idle to 3500rpm, gas has more go, and it keeps going to basically red line. Petrol has not a lot below 3500rpm, but once it hits thats it hammers to the redline. I cant really work out whats happening. I'm thinking maybe the cam is a little too retarded, or else its running really really rich, but I get decent fuel economy with it.

The other real problem I have had the last couple of days is axle tramp. If the car loses any traction in the wet, it just axle tramps so badly that I back off, maybe its an early version of traction control. Its got pedders Sport Ryders in the rear, wouldn't really be expecting it to do that! I am thinking maybe the rear bushes are totally perished now.

Anyway I'll stop rambling a bang some pictures up now. Thanks to everyone whos been posting support/encouragement though, really helps out on a long build

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Very nice.

The low rise spoiler keeps the profile of the car low too.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Sapphire

VIC, Australia

Hey mate dam nice looking car you got there.
Im from Kerang and am often in Bendigo. Good to hear of someone semi-around my area :lol:
Might spot you around one day

'98 EL Turbo Falcon Sapphire
With custom everything..

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Did you get to the CVE Dyno Day? Very interested to see what RWKW you got :)

My Rwkw is all from my WPN Head made by a mate - I have just got a stock bottom end, 350,000klm old pistons, rods, crank, block - block has been honed, new rings and bearings, cam chain, oil pump etc etc - block has not been decked or bored out - Pacemaker 4480's, 2.5" Exhaust, Modified Diffillipo Intake with Acron Plastics Air Box oh and a the cam is a 977b grind- its nothing special :)

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

No, didnt end up running, car still wasnt running quite right, turns out i stuffed up the timing and was running a retarded spark. Livened the car up no end getting the timing sorted, but it was too late for the dyno day which was a bit disappointing. Should be heading up to Heathcote on the 10th for a Friday night run, so that should be good. Doubt I will be dipping out of the 15s bracket on my first outing though, might not even get there for all I know! The gas is definatly chocking it down quite a bit, going to have to get a GRA system on it ASAP.

As a side note, whats the best tyre combination for me to run if I am taking it down the strip. I have some 205/65-15 Kumho KH17's on the ED, which are pretty damn grippy, or some 225/50-16 on FTR rims, Hankook Ventus K102, or could steal the Michelins 2250/50-16 off the wagon, but theyre lowish on tread.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:48 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Just thought I would give my build thread a bit of an update. The XR is now up to 10,000k, just about to get its next service. I ended up going up to Heathcote and having a bit of a run, first time out though wasnt hoping for much, set myself that aim to get a factory time of 15.6. I went out for four runs and got a best of 15.7 @ 89MPH, so was happy yet disappointed at the same time. I think the cars got quite a bit left in it, but the ceramic clutch certainly doesnt help launch technique :P Plus the runs were done with every bit of trim, spare, subs, amps and two people in the car haha.

Took it to a dyno day up at Precision Clutch in Bendigo the next day, there were quite a few Fords there. I was hoping for maybe 135-140rwkw, and it ended up pulling 171rwkw. I was a bit sceptical about it, but the other cars seemed to be pulling realistic values. There was one EL XR8 with Herrod Motorsport Extractors and chip that got mid 140rwkw and another with a bit of work that came in at 160. I am keen as to get to the next day down in Melb just to see how it goes side to side against other falcons, so I can get a real idea of that its putting out.

At the moment the car is sitting back at my parents, where dad is giving me a hand to finish off the boot install, just made me a bit paranoid knowing if I got a flat I had to remove my battery, amps, subs and everything to get at it. Once thats finished off it should be back in action again, hopefully in the next few weeks

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:40 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

great job dude, i love see people build cars themselves and doing it the right way, no shortcuts. :D

One thing though, just curious as to whether you might have some clutch slip issues?

170odd rwkw should be good for low 14's even with heavier load with stereo gear mid to high 14's still attainable. almost a second is alot. we're talking probably 30 rwkw of power/time difference.

what was 60 foot time?

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I was having clutch slip issues the week before I took it up to Heathcote. When I built the motor I accidently pinched the rear mains seal and it leaked on the clutch. Its ceramic so I took it back to the place that built the clutch and they cleaned it all up, replaced mains and reinstalled it.

It was fine for everyday driving, but the first time I grabbed 2nd in a burnout I got clutch slip. I spoke to the clutch guy and he said there might still be a bit of oil residue rising up when clutch gets hot, but it should go away. I took it easy on the clutch at Heatcote though, just to make sure it didnt happen again. Plus with ceramic its not the best thing to slip it as you take off. Not really sure you are meant to lauch ceramic to be honest, he said just let it out quick and dont drop it.

Just found the time slip, this was my fourth and best run. Im keen to go up again, maybe to the young guns weekend, now that I feel a bit more confident about it and the car.

60ft was 2.5s. It seems like most people with manual falcons get around a 2.0 60ft, so I should be able to shave 0.5s of my time with more rpm on the launch.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

.5 @ 60 will more than likely end up being closer to a full sec out the other end.
So yep spot on where you should be with those mods

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well thats good to hear at least, I would be happy with it in anywhere in the 14s now, it was never meant to be a drag car, too much of the things I have done to it would slow it down at the strip. Big rims, hard suspension, heavy stereo and ceramic clutch arent usually things associated with drag cars haha. Really hoping theres another dyno day soon against some other Fords. Still got a few things to do to it, so I should really get stuck into them so that its ready this time

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Finally got around to doing a bit more on the EL. It died a couple of weeks after the drags and I didnt have the money to work out what was wrong. Got it looked at during the week and the dizzy had died....again. It was replaced just before I took it off the road to start doing it up, about 2 years ago but only about 15000k's ago, which is a real pain in the a**. But going again now.

While it was getting that done I also got them to have a look at what was wrong with the airbag, it was coming up with a drivers airbag high resistance code. Ended up getting the airbag module replaced which fixed that code, but now its stuck with a 52 code, low voltage. Both the scan tool and the conventional earthing method have failed to clear it, so not sure whats going on there. Does anyone know if the airbag will still work with that code in it?

Also finally finished off getting the rims painted. Since I got the rims I always wanted them black, but wanted to have them as they were for a bit,as once theyre painted theres no going back! Also have some red rimskins to put on them, but going to wait until they have new tyres on them before I do that, as I dont think the rimskins will survive the tyre being changed.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next