Post subject: Re: How to make a 351 Ford Rover
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I think he's too busy with new job. It's annoying because the car is outside all the time.
On a good note, the neighbors have ok'd the new shed(even though it's going to be 4M high) so the next problem will be the f**k heads at the shire!?

4m eaves or gabble, if it is eaves that is awesome, that is the sort of thing I would like to bring my shed up too, I only have a 9x7.5 with 2.7m eaves, I think my gabble is only 3.2 and the max gabble height we are allowed is 3.6m without a fight with the council, I won't have an issue with each side of me including straight behind me over the lane but we have a f**k over the lane next to the house straight behind which would be sure to complain, he is a queer C*** and he caused the builders nothing but grief next door to me, which is not behind him.

I am thinking of extending to the back lane which would give me about 10.5x7.5m (so this lazy bastard don't have to open gates) and lifting the roof if I can get away with it, I want a hoist and the only way I am going to get one is either lift the roof or lower the floor, if I lower the floor it will have to be a four poster, even though I normally hate two post in a workshop due to time and safety on some vehicle, they are the better all round hoist unless you can afford one with built in jacks etc like this.
http://www.autohoist.com.au/process/sho ... emId=32480

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:46 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

4m to the top of the wall macca, with an internal roof so probably 3.7-3.8 actual ceiling height, 10.5m x11.5m. It'll be double brick and we'll build it clean over the top of the existing shed(9.3 x 6.7) so no storage hassles while it's being built:)

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
4m to the top of the wall macca, with an internal roof so probably 3.7-3.8 actual ceiling height, 10.5m x11.5m. It'll be double brick and we'll build it clean over the top of the existing shed(9.3 x 6.7) so no storage hassles while it's being built:)

I like how you think with the building over the top of the old shed, your old shed is similar size to my current shed, but it would be too big of a job to build over the top of my shed, we built it back 98, never thought about the height back then and I built a deep and wide 5m long pit in it. One side is to close to the neighbour's fence and it would have to be far to high to clear the roof enough to be able to pull it down etc but due to the design I don't think it would be to hard to raise the roof, then just use some of that clear panel stuff to extend the walls, it has no windows so it will save on using the lights. I also thought about just lifting it from the bottom, which would probably be easier. Going to insulate it to keep the heat out and noise in, what is your plans?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yeah macca, it'll be insulated roof. There'll be single narrow but tall window on the eastern side to pick up the mezzanine floor I want to put in at the back end. I don't care about having lights on because it's more important to keep the heat out(and the warmth in) so I won't have sky lights. Besides it'll have massive roller door on the front of it which will probably be open most of the time during the day. Still haven't decided whether to have a separate compressor room outside the main. I want to put 3 phase in so I can have at least a 25cfm compressor to keep up with the bead blaster.

Thanks Jimmy that will help. It's more as an option if it works out lower than the explorer upper and it's enough to fit under the bonnet. If none of the options fit I'll probably go with the stock truck setup because it produces the biggest low end torque.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

We got busy yesterday and made the adapter plate on Tonys' NC converted mill. Starting on the lathe the centre sections were done. That's a 60 x 280 x 280 ally plate...

The adapter shaft with an alignment mandrel up it's date before welding...

Then onto the mill. Here's about the only bit I did...drilling and tapping the holes....

Here's one of the drives Tony made for conversion of the mill....

A screen shot of the control software...

And an action video...

Close to done...

Finished item compared to the original ZF adapter/extension housing...

Bolted onto the trans...

and then the transfer...

Some small un-needed bosses cut off the side of the case gave the clearance needed for the prop shaft...

Ready to slide under for a dummy up...

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nice work, almost looks like people that have done this sort of stuff before :twisted:
(I'm hmm very jealous)

I wish I had the cash and found such a good bargain with the tranny in the first place, I want one of those just as you purchased it, it has left drop and lots of parts available for the transfer. I want one for a IFS front, so I don't have to worry so much with clearance as after fitting it up it hardly moves around, unlike the amount of travel the old Rangey will be doing.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EBXR8, AU 11 XR8 UTE, FG XR6

WA, Australia

That looks nice. Just like a factory fit. Bet your happy with that.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:39 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Cheers macca!

You can have the F-series transfer for $100 if you like? Everyone reckons they're worth at least $500 but no-one has bought mine.
I'm probably going to get a '98-'01 5.0 Explorer 4R70 built by a guy in the U.S. but, as usual they're hard to deal with. He's quoted $1800 for one that's overkill for my rangie.
I asked another joint over there and they came back with, quote; "it will be the proper tranny to fit to the back of the 351w, will just to need to know the year of the motor,,,,"
WTF!? I asked what the year of the ENGINE has got to do with it and have had no response(as usual).

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yeah Ash,
I wouldn't be happy with anything less.
God I wish I had a hoist, my shoulders' f**k and I've got to do the dummy up on the ground!?
I'm seriously considering asking my mate if I can use his hoist and trailering the car around there.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EBXR8, AU 11 XR8 UTE, FG XR6

WA, Australia

Yeah it isn't much fun lifting 4x4 gearboxes out on the ground with a jack.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Yeah Ash,
I wouldn't be happy with anything less.
God I wish I had a hoist, my shoulders' f**k and I've got to do the dummy up on the ground!?
I'm seriously considering asking my mate if I can use his hoist and trailering the car around there.

Do you want a teaspoon of cement with that :twisted: it could be worse, a 4.2 Patrol gearbox and transfer.

I was just in my shed thinking about a hoist, but I need to raise the shed and more importantly win the Jackpot lottery. (Then f**k it, buy myself a aircraft hanger size fully equipped shed :D )

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Well it was hard enough the two times I've already done it, and that was when my shoulder actually worked!? I've already had a cotrtizone injection and that did jack s**t, so rather than make it worse i think I should just use my mates' hoist, even if it means chucking the whole thing on a trailer to get it there.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Awesome work, as usual, Pete. I was asleep by the time you sent me the last pic. Good to see that the adapter plate came up so well.

Save your body, mate! Use the hoist.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Cheers Chad,
Well I couldn't help myself. I just had a go at using a jack under it but it's impossible to get it to balance. Plus the jack won't actually lift it high enough. So it's looking like the hoist option is the go.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Well it was hard enough the two times I've already done it, and that was when my shoulder actually worked!? I've already had a cotrtizone injection and that did jack s**t, so rather than make it worse i think I should just use my mates' hoist, even if it means chucking the whole thing on a trailer to get it there.

Of course you knew I was taking the piss, I would be the first to say don't stay in the dark ages if you don't need too.
I was talking to the bloke that services our hoist at work, he said there is a 4 poster coming up in Feb which is only about 6yrs old, the workshop is replacing everything and more etc, I can't remember the brand but it was a brand/type I liked as we were talking s**t (I do a lot of that) and I told him my favourite was the 4 post with a scissor lift in the middle, makes for quick safe work and you can park underneath if you want too.
Hmm now for the working how much extra height I want in the shed to get over having to put the hoist in the centre of shed.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next