Fordmods Logo

Scotts ED going DOHC 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Scotts ED going DOHC
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

Rightio guys, firstly names Scott. I would say most know me off here as sikwags_218 on boosted falcon. Been on that site for ages. Anyhow been on here for a little while just looking around, mostly got brought here when looking for info on DOHC conversions. Talking to grannies ea he said I should do a bit of a thread on mine so there is plenty of info for guys looking at doing this.

So let me start from the start as this car has been through the works. Sadly I have had this car for 4 years and driven it twice hahahahaha. Hopefully this year ill get to enjoy it. Maybe even use it in my wedding if I can make it look sweet enough, which is undecided hahaha.

So bought this ED 4 years ago had massive plans, maybe too big. She was a stocker 158xxxkm on it, poly green, factory cruise, elec ariel, abs GlI povo pack with factory peeling clear coat on front quarters and bonnet..

So plan was manual, turbo, full respray, Fairmont ghia interior, coil overs. The works. I wanted decent power for hekitc power skids brah lol I wanted it to go.
so I brought some things for it and then the build went into over drive which after 3 years killed motivation and passion so it got parted out.
Bear with me have heaps of pics.
Here is a picture timeline (everyone loves pics) of how the car went somewhat. Ill give specs later

So this is how I spent my first 3 years building this. Even though the motor was in it still needed a lot of work in regards to fuel system, I wanted to respray etc etc.

I also have a strong passion for Motocross, I missed not riding and racing so I sold all the drive line plus a few other odds and ends and went racing. That was until November last year and I did my right knee.
So I sold the bike to get a newer and bigger one, but knee is still on the mend somewhat.
Misses said I should do something with the ed as its just a boat anchor in the shed, so I was gonna scrap it as no one wanted it. I pulled it out of the shed and I couldn't bring myself to do it.
So next question, what is a good thing I can do with this car, without spending millions and having something that fun to drive. As my 108CDI Vito isn't much fun, but good for towing bikes lol.
Talking to a local tuner and we came up with a barra turbo conversion. It would be everything I want, we can hit 300kw fairly easy, fully engineer able and a lot of fun. So then it was on. While I saved to buy a write off I finally fitted the sunroof to the car and cleaned it up a bit.
I also purchased a fg bottom end for future fun as someone upgraded and a blown bf for the head and the cams etc. So after I get the Ba running I will assemble this with studs, oil pump gears, valve springs, injectors, bigger fuel pump and surge, modified waste gate and actuator and exhaust also bigger cooler and see what I can get hopefully 350kw+ :twisted:

So anyhow time came and I found a fully f**k ba xr6t ute, which I picked up Sunday just gone. I have had holidays so in the last 4 days this happened............ :wink:

NECK MINUTE!!!!!!

So im bloody stoked 3 days work as today all Ive done is sit and write this and I now have a barra in the bay. There is still a bit to do in terms of wiring, throttle pedal plumbing up cooler etc. But s**t I think im going ok.

Only one thing I had issues with are the engine mounts. as per granny ea I re drilled them, but I think I went to far as the engine sits a little low so ill get another set for take 2.

Apart from that all easy stuff so far, have started wiring so another week I should have that buttoned up and yeah go from there. This will be full engineered in VIC so I constantly keep in touch with my engineer and realistically hoping about 3 months top until its, fully finished and driving. This includes rwc stuff, putting lights in it, painting the bar, spoiler, bonnet, front quarters etc.

Ill keep updated as I go from now.

Hope you guys enjoy, Scott

Post subject: Re: Scotts ED going DOHC
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF XR6 Mk2, ED Gli

VIC, Australia

looks awesome man, will look great all painted up once it's done.. can't wait to see more updates

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the kind words man keen myself.
Ill keep thread update the more i do. Just up to wiring atm which is a time consuming job. Hoping to have it bowled over this weekend then i will be getting close to starting it.
Cheers Scott

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

Far out mate, that's a bloody clean ED! fuark...

Love how you've hidden the wiring, i've considered doing the same on mine as it's extremely untidy from whoever used to own it, however i dropped the idea for now.

Also that xr6t looked to have quite a few parts you'd make a profit on, not to mention how clean the engine is itself... Don't stress on the wiring, it's the best part!

Looking good, keep up the great work Scott.

Edit : the red pinstripe looks much better :lol:

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah it makes them look heaps better with hidden wiring and is not to bad.

I was thinking of making it a ghia mock up so going chrome striping. The bar is just like that as its a modified s pac one to accommodate for the cooler. Will be getting sprayed and what not when the car is running.

Also im having trouble with the mounts as i havent moved the cross member due to engineering purposes so when i re drilled them i thing i went a little to far as i have bugger all k frame clearance at the front anyhow ill buy another set to fix that issue next week. As for now ill just keep wiring.

did you worry about hooking up the brake switch for cruise or not mate

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:17 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

shooter wrote:
Yeah it makes them look heaps better with hidden wiring and is not to bad.

I was thinking of making it a ghia mock up so going chrome striping. The bar is just like that as its a modified s pac one to accommodate for the cooler. Will be getting sprayed and what not when the car is running.

Also im having trouble with the mounts as i havent moved the cross member due to engineering purposes so when i re drilled them i thing i went a little to far as i have bugger all k frame clearance at the front anyhow ill buy another set to fix that issue next week. As for now ill just keep wiring.

did you worry about hooking up the brake switch for cruise or not mate

With the engine mounts, I'm doubtful there will be much if any room between the modified sump and the K - frame if you choose to lower the engine, could be wrong. This is why the K - frame mod was ideal for said situation, no cuts to bonnet were necessary / able to drop motor down with no issues.

If you literally have no clearance whatsoever between the sump and the K - frame, I dare say your next option is to leave the mounts at the stock height and cut the bonnet bracing. How would your engineer feel about the K - frame bar relocation? Anyhow if you use solid bar and thick brackets on either side it will be far stronger than factory.

Running a T5, i considered it unnecessary to run cruise control. While it would be nice on long trips, I don't need it. If you want to run cruise control, be prepared to setup the control switches to do so, along with mounting an extra BA cruise switch on your brake pedal.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

Very impressive. Luckily I didn't have to lower engine mounts because of bulge in Fairlane bonnet.

Bloody nice looking car.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

So i had another week of holidays to kill so i have been working on this a lot.
As soon as i get my sct tuner i plan to try and start it. Its a while from actually being drivable but once its running it will come together quickly as i consider the conversion the hardest part. Putting a interior in and headlights, lowering it etc is piss easy.

So basically i finished my ba loom getting everything i need and removing un necessary wires. Then i prepped the ed now be noted to i had a small win with this that i was pleased with. The thing being when i first started the build, as you can see i moved all the wiring to the outer gaurds and scuttle panel. Since that time roughly 3 years ago i have never powered up the car to see if it all worked and i pinned it out all ok. So i tidied up loose ends hooked a jump battery up and bam i had brake lights, tail lights, interior fan, lights, horn relay was clicking.
So this told me all my ignition wires and 90% of my relays were sweet.
Next i checked power at ecu and again all sweet. So happy days.
I now know the ed was sweet to splice into for the ba loom.
As i intended to fully intergrate it into the ed so use all the original relays, fuses etc.

Next wiring began and continued for about 2.5 days. Writing this, today i am left with about 10 wires and fingers crossed its all good. But pats will stop me from starting it. So while im waiting ill continue on.
Also ill chuck some pics up but the reason no wiring is taped into a loom so to speak is i want to here it run first so once it starts and runs ill undo the loom and make it look schmick. I have faith but you never know what will pop up. Leaving the loom loose also allowed me to run it how i wanted to and get everything in the right spot.
So please excuse the mess somewhat but yeah hopefully next update will include a run video
Until then cheers for the comments and thanks for looking

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:42 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Should make for a good video.

Using " Flash and forget " i see :lol: Can't wait to turbo the ea, the ability to dial up the boost / adjust fuel and spark myself with HP tuners, will be interesting...

I've always wondered if there's a safe way to setup inter cooler piping without having to perform surgery on what was, a factory virgin shell. Guess I'll have to experiment with the idea some time.

Excellent progress, Would make it a bit of a stretch seeing as the wiring is hidden away. However nothing beats an engine bay, where one gets to the point of having to look for wires, then one could note a truly astonishing job.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

From what ive seen you can make intercooler piping go down past the oil filter and under the chassis both sides. Or even under the head lights is a popular spot.

Truth be told i was gonna go hp tuners like yourself, but im about to start a new job at our local performance shop. I was lucky to be offered such a job so im keen. Anyhow long story short the boss is a big fan of the project and changed my mind back to sct gear saying that its much more ford friendly good support and yeah is just a great product. He uses tuner pro to do all the commy gear.
Thats the only reason i went that way. So he is going to help my dyno tune it and helps/supports me lot. Great bloke for advice.

with the wiring its not that bad for a few reasons. Firstly like yourself i had a whole donor car so i made the effort to follow the wires right back to the fuse box or as far as they go. I then ran the looms like a ba. So the go down across the rad support the to fuse box or in my case the power distribution area. So bugger all lengthening occured. If anything i shortened a fair few wires to suit my needs.
And as you said the extra effort goes a long way for appearance.

Thanks for the kind words mate. Hopefully soon she lives. Then just to finish the rest of the car lol :)

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

Try this
Just required a bit of massaging under the headlight no other way around it.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]