Fordmods Logo

Shav's AU2 Futura 

 

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 10826

Joined: 17th Apr 2005

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

Location: glenwood/sydney
NSW, Australia

unsure of the bottom one.. it looks like a cross between an xr wing with the overhangs.. and a bobtail spoiler.. -sits flat on the lid.. i'd go with the top pic example.. looks mighty tidy.. 8-)

 

_________________

Todd: Nurse, suction.
Nurse: The patient's not even here yet.
Todd: I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQpRYRcAiA

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

cheers FF ef -

I like the bobtail also, but think that the rear will need some added bits if I go down that path.

I reckon I'll be adding a body kit addition to the rear bar too.

Like this
Image

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:12 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the details, i too own an au2, and i did a diff swap a while ago, and have the same symptoms you have mentioned after i lowered the car. you have solved a problem the local mechanics here in s**t vic have failed to solve for their $550 reinstall of my diff with me having to buy a new set of gears as well.

how much were the trailing arms? i have to get a set and get them on, coz i swear its doing damage to these new gears and bearings.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Thanks for all the details, i too own an au2, and i did a diff swap a while ago, and have the same symptoms you have mentioned after i lowered the car. you have solved a problem the local mechanics here in s**t vic have failed to solve for their $550 reinstall of my diff with me having to buy a new set of gears as well.

how much were the trailing arms? i have to get a set and get them on, coz i swear its doing damage to these new gears and bearings.


well fortunately for me I didnt need to buy new trailing arms. My original arms were ok and all I needed to do was rotate my diff so that the upper trailing arms were bolted on the diff in the alternate bolt holes. The other alternative was to get 2nd hand xr6 upper trailing arms fitted as they are longer and would have forced the diff back instead still using the original bolt hole in the diff.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 1998

Joined: 31st Dec 2007

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

Location: Munruben
QLD, Australia

Awesome job dude, reminds me of my moms ghia and yeah I'm of the opinion go the bootlip, really need it on an au, otherwise it has the same qualm i have with ve's

My dad used to have a bootlip and frankly made the cars look heaps better, until he used it to open the boot one to many times and it just snapped.

 

_________________

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
Awesome job dude, reminds me of my moms ghia and yeah I'm of the opinion go the bootlip, really need it on an au, otherwise it has the same qualm i have with ve's

My dad used to have a bootlip and frankly made the cars look heaps better, until he used it to open the boot one to many times and it just snapped.


thats one thing i dont do is use the spoiler to open or close the boot. they arent built to sustain the boots weight.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Just a quick update, just spoke to Steve from AWC - fibre sports.

Ordered an AU1 Classic Bobtail spoiler to replace the current futura spoiler I have.

Was told that the bob tail will cover all old holes made by the original spoiler once fitted.

Part should arrive on the 6th of January. Going to book the car in somewhere for paint correction to front drivers side guard and drivers door due to car being keyed prior to ownership. Will get bobtail sprayed and fitted at same time.

Pics soon

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
Thanks for all the details, i too own an au2, and i did a diff swap a while ago, and have the same symptoms you have mentioned after i lowered the car. you have solved a problem the local mechanics here in s**t vic have failed to solve for their $550 reinstall of my diff with me having to buy a new set of gears as well.

how much were the trailing arms? i have to get a set and get them on, coz i swear its doing damage to these new gears and bearings.


well fortunately for me I didnt need to buy new trailing arms. My original arms were ok and all I needed to do was rotate my diff so that the upper trailing arms were bolted on the diff in the alternate bolt holes. The other alternative was to get 2nd hand xr6 upper trailing arms fitted as they are longer and would have forced the diff back instead still using the original bolt hole in the diff.


how much of a job was it to do that? Im not awesomely handy with a spanner, and have limited tools, could you detail what Ill need to do? what do these alternate holes look like?

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
shav wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
Thanks for all the details, i too own an au2, and i did a diff swap a while ago, and have the same symptoms you have mentioned after i lowered the car. you have solved a problem the local mechanics here in s**t vic have failed to solve for their $550 reinstall of my diff with me having to buy a new set of gears as well.

how much were the trailing arms? i have to get a set and get them on, coz i swear its doing damage to these new gears and bearings.


well fortunately for me I didnt need to buy new trailing arms. My original arms were ok and all I needed to do was rotate my diff so that the upper trailing arms were bolted on the diff in the alternate bolt holes. The other alternative was to get 2nd hand xr6 upper trailing arms fitted as they are longer and would have forced the diff back instead still using the original bolt hole in the diff.


how much of a job was it to do that? Im not awesomely handy with a spanner, and have limited tools, could you detail what Ill need to do? what do these alternate holes look like?


Have a read of my second post in this thread. Ive tried to detail what I have done with the diff as best I can.

The tools I used was a trolley jack, chassis stands, some blocks or chocs for the wheels, wheel brace to remove wheel nuts, Basic socket set with rachet handle.

What issues were you experiencing? Did you change the diff? Tell mw what your trying to do so I can give you some tips.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Just an update:

The spoiler still hasnt arrive from AWC Fibresports. Not worried just yet as I know everyone is still in holiday mode and possibly not back to work yet. No matter.

Car is booked in for paintwork in the first week of March to get pretty much whole right hand side reprayed, both door mirrors, rear bar respray, and minor paint corrections made to front bar. I was adament that I wanted the paint to be color matched perfectly. The car will be done within the week Im away overseas, and ready to pick up when I get back. Im getting DuPont paint and the mob thats doing it for us is Midcoast Crash in Lonsdale SA. I chose these guys due to the good service and quality they gave me when I had my Subaru sprayed. So hopefully they will continue that feeling.

I went and saw Drew from AAA exhausts in Deacon Ave, Richmond. Ordered a set of Pacemaker 4499's. (I wanted 4480s but due to gas converter location there was no fitting room) 2.5" diam Magnaflow Metalcore cat, black painted 2.5" mandrel bent redback system starting with 6" hotdog to straight offset 16" muffler (perforated internal pipe) and oval resi in the tail pipe, finished with the tailpipe tip being bent down discreetly similar to a dump pipe. (I didnt want a chrome bling tip). All up, supplied and fitted $1250. Booked in on Monday

Did I pay too much for the exhaust?

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 7

Joined: 14th Apr 2006

Ride: AUIII Falcon Futura

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

as long as you're happy with it, then it doesn't matter.........as they say, you get what you pay for....

 

_________________

2002 AUIII Falcon Futura 4.0

OLD - 1994 ED Falcon Futura 4.0
OLDEST - 1989 EA Falcon 3.9 CFI

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

dave93761 wrote:
as long as you're happy with it, then it doesn't matter.........as they say, you get what you pay for....


Thanks mate, I know what you mean, its just that I havent been in the game for quite a while and am out of touch with the latest prices of whats what.

From the people Ive already asked its about average for what Im getting and I was told that the workmanship is excellent with AAA exhausts.

Thought Id ask anyway.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

3 mufflers for a sports exhaust?

if you dont want 'loud' then the straight thru offset muffler, and a resonator will be enough.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
3 mufflers for a sports exhaust?

if you dont want 'loud' then the straight thru offset muffler, and a resonator will be enough.


Thanks for your input. But I have heard this exhaust with the 3 mufflers and its at a noise level I am happy with. The owner has an EL with basically the same exhaust system I am getting and he was kind enough to start his car up and show me the level of noise it will be emitting. So I could be confident of what I am getting.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

I dropped my car off this morning all ready to go get the exhaust done, only to be told the gas converter wont fit ANY extractors let alone the skinnier ones. So a no go for the extractors for now. dammit. :(

Apparently the converter I have is a big one and its taking up more room than expected.

What I will have to do is get the gas converter relocated to a different position, possibly to sit flat on top of the head, right at the back.

The converter has a heat shield already so Im gathering this will be removed altogether when it get relocated.

What I am getting done today is the cat back system for now until I get the converter relocated.

Has anyone had this issue before?

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names