skidder's (soon to be less) ugly manual irs AU 

Page 7 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: skidder's AU - Dammit I did it again on page 5
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Ahh okay. After using the resistor trick do the fans operate the same as they normally would?

Also I have read some people saying they had issues with idling high etc, this was the reason I intended to get a reflash.

Thanks for the input

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Yeah everything works as it should.

I dont know about idling high. Mine idles at around 700rpm.

All the information I found on the forums was wrong.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cool beans. When I do the conversion I'll use your method and see how it goes.

If it turns out having any problems with idling etc then I'll worry about getting a J3 chip or reflash.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Picked up the conversion today, overall pretty happy. Got a WTAB ecu, I found that it is an AU XR6 manual one, but not what series or whether it was from a VCT or non VCT engine? Regardless I will probably run the auto ecu to start with and see how it goes.

Also apparently you can switch over pedal boxes in an AU without taking the dash out? If anyone could confirm that would be swell.

EVL098 wrote:

Post subject: Re: skidder's AU - Now in possession of manual coversion
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Confirmed.

I removed the column but I think you might be able to slide the end of the steering column in enough after removing the screw to give enough space to get it in.

I did it at night with a torch. : /

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Okay, so due to an oversight (i.e. me being excited and not looking properly) I have a WTLB ecu, which is jun 99+ xr6 manual which I am assuming is smartshield. My car being a May 99 has smartlock, so looks like auto ecu will be being used. On the bright side will hopefully get a little coin from selling it.

Has anyone used a Sunbury brakes clutch? I have read some good reviews on them and they are only 20% heavier than standard (not really looking for a heavy duty) and the one I have is half gone.

Also the pedal box has a minor crack which has been attempted to be fixed, but I will probably re do it myself as still looks piss weak, so will post some pics up when done.

Finally, the conversion I have doesn't have anything to do with cruise control included (i.e clutch disabling switch thing). I have a feeling this may be difficult to track down (not sure if cruise was standard on pov falcons), has anyone over come this/is there a provision in standard loom?

Thanks

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
Has anyone used a Sunbury brakes clutch? I have read some good reviews on them and they are only 20% heavier than standard (not really looking for a heavy duty) and the one I have is half gone.
Yep, found the Valeo's to be pretty good, found the HD 6 bolt E series type to be only slightly heavier than std on feel - steer clear of the HD 3 bolt type, way too heavy. Talk to Mike, he's pretty helpful.
skidder wrote:
Finally, the conversion I have doesn't have anything to do with cruise control included (i.e clutch disabling switch thing). I have a feeling this may be difficult to track down (not sure if cruise was standard on pov falcons), has anyone over come this/is there a provision in standard loom?
Probably be same as E series, the connector plug has a shorting link for autos. An EB/ED brake switch fits an E series pedalbox, wire it to a 5 pin relay, use brake pedal switch power. Make sure the relay switching is normally closed with foot off the clutch pedal. Again I'm assuming AU is same setup.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

In regards to the ecu, have you thought about this angle?

Stick a J3 chip in your ECU with a Xr6 manual smartlock program on it, and then go buy the manual gearbox loom from ford, I'd be thinking they might have a few in stock. That way, no resister trick to do, and the issues that could happen if it doesn't work right.

You will love going manual, when you get it in the car. I dunno about the Valeo clutch, but i have a few mates that have used them & like them. I have a PBR / Clutch Industries HD pressure plate & stock clutch plate, it doesn't feel all that much heavier than stock, has a crap load more clamping tho.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The transmission loom is part of the engine loom in an AU, its not on a seperate plug. Might be pricey.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If I do end up putting a J3 in it couldn't I just use the auto loom? I haven't seen a manual ecu pinout diagram but I am assuming it would have nothing in any of the slots used for auto signals and just require the neutral/reverse/speed?

And thanks snap, will look into it.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah just use the auto loom.

Its piss easy.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
And thanks snap, will look into it.

Yeah, no probs Dude.
I've modded an EL loom, it's part of the engine harness as well - as above, wasn't hard.
Provided you get right the PRND123 neutral resistor, trans temp resistor, reverse lines, tie together the starter solenoid lines, there's not really anything else.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I have work off next week so the date is set for next sunday/monday on the manual conversion.

Minor things I have done in preparation:
- got handbrake overhaul/rebuild on each side done last week
- ordered my new clutch kit
- bought Castrol TQ Diii fluid and nulon G70 (cbf with transmax z when it is only a second hand box)
- found someone willing to trade my WTLB (smartshield) ecu for a WTAB (smartlock, bingo!). I couldn't believe my luck!

I think the only thing left to do is get a new spigot bearing and some 2mm steel plate to reinforce my pedal box with. Assuming all goes well should be an auto and alloy tailshaft to suit for sale in 2 weeks.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The 5 speed is in and stoked with how much better it is. Ended up using the manual ecu with no dramas, although was pretty freaked out when the whole dash lit up the first time I turned ignition on.

Curiously the auto ecu I pulled out has the code WABF with the F crossed out and a G inserted in nikko. I thought this may mean it had dual fuel fitted from factory then removed and maybe the WABG was a petrol only retune, but I have no tickford compliance plate for dual fuel, and obviously my car isn't dual fuel...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

i have the same thing with my auto ecu, last digit scribbled out and another written above it, i found it very strange

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next