Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: The Free EL Project
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It would be easier to run the cables to the centre console than to the door. Running cables through the door grommet isn't the most exciting task, but could be worth it...just finding a way to mount them on the door. I wonder if AU/BA door trim fits the EF/EL...could be able to fit the door trims in and run cables.

If you plan on doing that, please custom make a better centre console with functioning cup holders...EF/EL stock cup holders are woeful!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

phongus wrote:
It would be easier to run the cables to the centre console than to the door

I probably didn't explain that properly Phongus sorry mate. I've got a bench seat column shift, no centre console just the tranny hump. I would if I could though!

Those custom cup holders gave me an idea, I won't be able to wire the switches up to it as I'm hoping for it to be detachable. Like a mini fold up picnic table (would be cool on a night out). Something like this?

/--\Cup /-------\ Cup/--\
/ \
/ \
/ Transmission Hump \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| | <--Bolt/Clip around here on both sides
| |

Sh*tty diagram haha, but it gives a rough idea. If I have this reaching from the dash to the start of the middle seat, and at the height of the bottom of the head unit and make some kind of clip to easily attach, detach and fold it up to stick in the boot. Some kind of light wood or plastic.
Another thought I had was to cut and hack up the existing centre console from one of the other Falcons. Hmm...

I was reading smithykicks85's EB hybrid build (read through the entire thing in one sitting, was still up after midnight reading) and he was able to get BA door trims on his EB (I believe the doors are the same). But he had to cut and weld the inner door panels. Since I've never used a welder in my life I don't think I could trust myself on that one :lol:
If I was to mount the switches on the dash, where would the most convenient spot be?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Whoops that picture didn't turn out right :shock:

Heres a pic of what it was supposed to be:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Sorry, I didn't even notice the bench seat in the pictures, so my misunderstanding.

Now I am trying to understand your typed image (good effort!). The view we are looking at is side on I assume, so the cup holders are sitting on top of the transmission hump just in front of the middle seat between dash and bench seat and is detachable? To me that seems like a lot of work for a cup holder!

You can add something like this if you can find a Double Din radio face. Simple clean and quick.

Another option, which will take a bit more work depending how you want the finish, is to add cup holders to the arm rest that folds over the centre seat. Cut a cavity into the arm rest leaving most of the fabric cover intact and inser something like this or this into the cavity. You can do the same for the rear seat arm rest if it has one...I have been meaning to do this to my rear centre arm rest. You could possibly add a cup holder by directly attaching it to the end of the arm rest as long as it doesn't get it in the way when you fold it up.

Not sure with the electric windows switches. Would be odd to have it on the dashboard to be honest. See if you can source out some AU Fairmont Door trims, they might fit better on the E-series doors than the BA. Pretty sure the AU Fairmont had window switches on the drivers door.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Finished my last assignment for this year today, now I have as much time as I want to work on the EL (24/7, but I need to sleep sometime right?).

Yeah Phongus, decided against that idea. Too much effort and I risk buggering up the carpet, don't know where I'd be able to find another carpet without the transmission hole in it!

phongus wrote:
You can add something like this if you can find a Double Din radio face. Simple clean and quick.

Instead of trying to hunt for a double din radio face, could I just cut out the pocket/container underneath the radio? Just out of curiosity. If I can do that or find a radio face then I think this is the best idea. Had a look around online and I can't find any, not even Aerpro :(

I like the idea of cutting a part of the armrest out as it would probably be much more reliable, but when my passenger sits in the middle seat I'd like them to be able to use the cup holders too. Rear seats don't have an armrest, I'm guessing this is because its a wagon. As far as door cards go, I'm on the lookout for a set of AU Fairmont ones, the only thing that concerns me is if it would look normal or out of place with the E series dash.

I also thought the other night about putting USB charging ports in the car for passengers, like one on each front seat belt pillar. Say if you were a rear passenger needing to charge a phone, you could plug your USB cable into the socket on the pillar. Why not ay? Its up right up my alley! Would make a good brag factor with when I show the car to friends :lol: I know that I'd need a high performance battery and I'm going to add a better alternator. What's the best aftermarket alternator I can buy? I'm not going to worry about charging anything more than 5V so I won't need a big inverter.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

codekracker192 wrote:
Finished my last assignment for this year today, now I have as much time as I want to work on the EL (24/7, but I need to sleep sometime right?). - maybe lol

Yeah Phongus, decided against that idea. Too much effort and I risk buggering up the carpet, don't know where I'd be able to find another carpet without the transmission hole in it! - aftermarket carpets available i believe?

phongus wrote:

Instead of trying to hunt for a double din radio face, could I just cut out the pocket/container underneath the radio? Just out of curiosity. If I can do that or find a radio face then I think this is the best idea. Had a look around online and I can't find any, not even Aerpro :(

I like the idea of cutting a part of the armrest out as it would probably be much more reliable, but when my passenger sits in the middle seat I'd like them to be able to use the cup holders too. Rear seats don't have an armrest, I'm guessing this is because its a wagon. As far as door cards go, I'm on the lookout for a set of AU Fairmont ones, the only thing that concerns me is if it would look normal or out of place with the E series dash. - thought similar meself ... door about door frames tho

also try maybe these?? as i've been dreamin of em :roll:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221564090663?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Mad2 wrote:
aftermarket carpets available i believe?

Didn't even think about those! Hey technically speaking I could have whatever kind of floor I like couldn't I? I could have that fluffy cloud stuff scattered through my car, might make a mess after a while though. I had an uncle who put that fake prickly grass stuff that they use for cold shelves right threw his Triton ute. Didn't tickle lets just say that.

Mad2 wrote:
thought similar meself ... door about door frames tho

True, eh maybe I'll buy an AU just to try it out. If it doesn't look good I can just resell the whole car. I'm also looking at another EL with a good engine, might see if I can find an AU after that. That'll be 5 cars, not sure what my neighbors think of me :lol:

Mad2 wrote:
also try maybe these?? as i've been dreamin of em

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221564090663 ... 1436.l2649

That's the one that Phongus sent me! :lol:
Still reckon I'll go with it, I like the idea of the drawer system. Its just a matter of putting it in the car :?

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

codekracker192 wrote:

Found [url="this"]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-ef-el-nl-ltd-double-din-radio-surround-to-suit-ltd-fairlaine-ghia-/302152147655?hash=item4659abe2c7:g:j1IAAOSw44BYPVVs[/url] on ebay. That's the one that should fit. There aren't many around, but Fairmont Ghia with the premium sound systems came with the double DIN face.

Although there is nothing wrong with cutting out the pocket out of your current one and should work just fine.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

Well another little update, I've finally started gutting the interior! And buying more parts! At least 1 Falcon will be here on Saturday, the other one will have to wait as my wallet seems to be shrinking on me :roll: But I am also picking up a few extras including 4 Ghia tan door cards, all with electric switches and chrome door handles for $20 :D

But now I have another problem (when does it stop?!), these door cards are the nice tan colour and to be honest I prefer this colour over the grey. There is a tan Ghia for wrecking down the road, blown a head gasket but still in great condition (missing that double din facia tho, bugger it). I'm thinking of putting the entire interior into my EL, but then I strike a problem. Whilst the rear leather seats will be nice, I can't use the front seats :shock:
So how would I go about "leathering up" (even vinyl would be fine) the bench seat? Asked supercheap and a few other stores but they don't have any vinyl seat covers for a bench seat. Does anyone know what I should do in this predicament?

phongus wrote:
Although there is nothing wrong with cutting out the pocket out of your current one and should work just fine

I reckon I'll just do this one mate, so long as I do it properly it should look fine.

Door handles (door cards on their way):
Attachment:
15284068_10210153666212100_5550334064752509927_n.jpg

Current interior: I knew the dash was pretty much useless (had a massive heat crack in it) so I'm not really worrying about taking care of it. However I still can't seem to force it out, I've undone the 2 on the outside and some (but I'm not sure if they're the right ones) on the inside but I can't see anymore. Where are the two bolts in the centre console?
Attachment:
15271437_352401268453307_1776284861_o.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

Another thing on the topic of interior;
If anyone wants any interior things, by all means let me know! I'm getting sick of them being here, and I can't seem to sell them locally so I thought I might as well give them away. I'll send photos of the item your after, as many of these parts aren't in the greatest of condition. There is already a heap gone, but still plenty to go :D

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

There are 6 main bolts for the dash, 2 on the outer ends, two up on the corners right near the windscreen, and 2 around the transmission hump. Also you'll need to remove two on the steering column(causing it to drop). once this is done, remove the glovebox (if not already) and disconnect the cable controls for the climate control. remove the bonnet latch and it should be fairly loose.

then just ease it out and make careful note of any connectors to replug later. it's actually an easy job!

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I see you have removed most of the bolts for the dash. There are 2 more in the centre of the dash behind/under a metal bracket above the trans hump as shannonwulff said. Also drop the steering column and let it rest on the drivers seat. Unplug any electrics from under the dash before you rip it out.

Lift it up and pull back as a whole piece and before you can pull it completely out, unplug any more plugs behind the dash and remove the earth wire. Should come out after that. It is a bit of a hard task the first time. Just be patient and try not to break any plastic tabs!

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

Turns out it was the 2 bolts on the sides of the transmission hump that I missed! My steering column wouldn't fold all the way down and had me puzzled, until I realized that the column shifter couldn't bend all the way. Forgot to take pics, but the dash is now completely out and ready to be replaced by the new dash and other bits and pieces in the new car that comes tomorrow (and the other one that comes next week). Still gotta decide on what colour I want everything to be since the door cards and interior are two different colours. What do you guys think for interior colours? http://duplicolor.com/product/vinyl-and-fabric-coating

Still making ideas for the USB ports and inverter location.
Other than that, that's pretty much the new interior planned out! :D

On a new note:
I'm also needing to repaint the entire car. I know the bay, bonnet, roof and both bumpers definitely need to be redone along with scratches on all doors and a big ding near the filler door. There's also rust bubbles around the rear wheel arches and rust in the door sills. There's an old fella around the block who has all the proper painting equipment, gonna ask him if I can borrow it or give me some knowledge. Paints going to be the expensive though (I'm wanting the colour its already got, the Q9 Arctic Blue).

Question is; do I setup the interior and rear end first (suspension, diff ect.) or do the paint job first and do everything else afterwards? If I do the latter, it will take much longer as I'll have to save up on paint. Another quick question (my apologies for all the questions lol) but how much paint is needed for a Falcon wagon exterior (doors, tailgate, bumpers, bonnet included) and engine bay? (not going to repaint the inside). If I can get a rough estimate in litres I'll go into Supercheap and ask how much their going to charge me and work things out from there.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

paint first. always paint first. take the engine out if you can.

i know this mucks with your plans. you can touch up/cover rust in non-visible areas afterwards, but i'd always recommend taking the time and doing it right, as i think you know you want to.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

shannonwulff wrote:
i'd always recommend taking the time and doing it right, as i think you know you want to

Too true mate, too true. Drives me a crackers when I see folks take rarer cars (the EA's an example), say they're going to "do it up" and just willy nilly about and the car ends up worse than what it was before they started!! :lol:

I'd rather spend the extra time saving and doing things the right way exactly as you stated shannonwulff, cheers for the heads up on which road to take. I'll be sanding back and bogging rust along with the paint, just because I'll have the equipment on hand.

shannonwulff wrote:
take the engine out if you can

Will do! I've gotta replace the engine and transmission anyway. So is that paint before anything else? (suspension and steering work and what not).

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next