Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The girls car...........EL XR8
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well its only been about 3 months since the new girl was welcomed into the family so its about time a build thread got started on it.
A few days before Christmas last year Donna bought herself an early Christmas present. 1996 EL XR8. It was as stock as a rock , had a full history right back to the original purchaser and was a pretty damn clean and tidy unit.
It still spins a lot of people out that a girl is driving an XR8 and she peddles it pretty well too.
Got it for a steal as it needed a couple of things attended to which were sorted out quick smart.
Came with the optional FTR's and the optional sports seats. Was also already fitted with extractors and a single 3" exhaust.
Dont have any pictures of it from when we first picked it up unfortunately. :cry:
As we were getting out of it when it first pulled into the driveway , Donna looked at me and said " Its my car , NO CHANGES OR MODS! Do not f**k with it I want it left standard..............."
My reply was "Yeah ok................."
HAHA like that was going to last!
Second day of ownership saw the Sony Bluetooth MP3 headdeck purchased and installed along with the alarm.
The next day the AUII copies in E series offset from my Fairlane went on it. Donna decided she really liked them so we tracked down a brand new set with tyres for the tidy sum of $700! Guy had bought them to use on his speed boat trailer and they rubbed the guards when in use. They did a total of 70km's on the road before they come off. No rubs or cuts or the rims or tyres so all was good. So now we both have matching wheels....... :lol:
Then it was the standard K&N air cleaner and MSD ignition upgrade.
Well we needed to get a wheel alignment done. My theroy was there was no point getting a wheel alignment done with out it being lowered.
Yep in went the Kings springs.
Then it was decided that the standard XR steering wheel had seen better days so it was replaced with a Roman Autotec A-Teck wheel. Not my cup of tea but Don loves it so thats all that matters.
Needless to say the mods are happening!

Here is how she sat on Saturday night when we took her for a bit of a cruise into the city.

Not a bad ride for the everyday girls car!

Well the fun is soon to start. On Saturday I am picking up an EF 6 cylinder Fairmont. While the car itself is legit the history of it is chequered enough to ensure it would cause major issues to put back on the road so lets just say I am not paying much for it. So Saturday afternoon will be a road trip to Newcastle with the good old U haul trailer in tow.
From the Fairmont we will be removing the trip computer , rear power window gear and doing the fun fun fun job of a climate control conversion................
Have a few other ideas too that will come to light. So the rest of the EF once I work out what I need to hang onto will be wrecked out. If you are after anything in particular let me know!
The idea is to end up with an XR8 that is just as nice and plush inside to get around in as a Fairmont. Yep we are getting old , lazy and both like a bit of luxury now days.
I also still have to paint the lower body kit I picked up from Twason from here and fit it up. I have a few things on the boil to keep me occupied. :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Last edited by Matt_jew on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The girls car...........EL XR8
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Stupid Photobucket is not working!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Ash. Can you see the pics? They are not coming up for me.
From doing a lot of reading and asking questions , yep the dash has to come out to do the conversion. Fun fun fun.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have done one before, can give you a hand, No probs. Can even let you know what needs to be kept and what can be thrown.

Its a 2 day job at the least.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Well its only been about 3 months since the new girl was welcomed into the family so its about time a build thread got started on it.
A few days before Christmas last year Donna bought herself an early Christmas present. 1996 EL XR8. It was as stock as a rock , had a full history right back to the original purchaser and was a pretty damn clean and tidy unit.
It still spins a lot of people out that a girl is driving an XR8 and she peddles it pretty well too.
Got it for a steal as it needed a couple of things attended to which were sorted out quick smart.
Came with the optional FTR's and the optional sports seats. Was also already fitted with extractors and a single 3" exhaust.
Dont have any pictures of it from when we first picked it up unfortunately. :cry:
As we were getting out of it when it first pulled into the driveway , Donna looked at me and said " Its my car , NO CHANGES OR MODS! Do not f**k with it I want it left standard..............."
My reply was "Yeah ok................."
HAHA like that was going to last!
Second day of ownership saw the Sony Bluetooth MP3 headdeck purchased and installed along with the alarm.
The next day the AUII copies in E series offset from my Fairlane went on it. Donna decided she really liked them so we tracked down a brand new set with tyres for the tidy sum of $700! Guy had bought them to use on his speed boat trailer and they rubbed the guards when in use. They did a total of 70km's on the road before they come off. No rubs or cuts or the rims or tyres so all was good. So now we both have matching wheels....... :lol:
Then it was the standard K&N air cleaner and MSD ignition upgrade.
Well we needed to get a wheel alignment done. My theroy was there was no point getting a wheel alignment done with out it being lowered.
Yep in went the Kings springs.
Then it was decided that the standard XR steering wheel had seen better days so it was replaced with a Roman Autotec A-Teck wheel. Not my cup of tea but Don loves it so thats all that matters.
Needless to say the mods are happening!

Here is how she sat on Saturday night when we took her for a bit of a cruise into the city.

Not a bad ride for the everyday girls car!

Well the fun is soon to start. On Saturday I am picking up an EF 6 cylinder Fairmont. While the car itself is legit the history of it is chequered enough to ensure it would cause major issues to put back on the road so lets just say I am not paying much for it. So Saturday afternoon will be a road trip to Newcastle with the good old U haul trailer in tow.
From the Fairmont we will be removing the trip computer , rear power window gear and doing the fun fun fun job of a climate control conversion................
Have a few other ideas too that will come to light. So the rest of the EF once I work out what I need to hang onto will be wrecked out. If you are after anything in particular let me know!
The idea is to end up with an XR8 that is just as nice and plush inside to get around in as a Fairmont. Yep we are getting old , lazy and both like a bit of luxury now days.
I also still have to paint the lower body kit I picked up from Twason from here and fit it up. I have a few things on the boil to keep me occupied. :mrgreen:
fixed :mrgreen: you forgot the [ on the front of the img code

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well at leat people here can see the pics! I cant see the bloody things unless someone has quoted them! Wonder whats going on?

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I have done one before, can give you a hand, No probs. Can even let you know what needs to be kept and what can be thrown.

Its a 2 day job at the least.

Brett

Cheers Brett
Yeah its going to be a big job but will be worth it.
Will be easier having another complete car here to pillage.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Well at leat people here can see the pics! I cant see the bloody things unless someone has quoted them! Wonder whats going on?

because you wrote it as IMG] instead of [IMG] lol

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mitchell g wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

Thankyou very much Mitch. I have changed my post to fix it up.
Glad you picked it up it had me rooted trying to work it out!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
mitchell g wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

Thankyou very much Mitch. I have changed my post to fix it up.
Glad you picked it up it had me rooted trying to work it out!

haha thats why the picture in the quote it shows the picture

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Interesting, your wanting to have a very similar but different car to mine.

I've got an EFII Fairmont with ELII XR8 mechanics, whilst you (are going to) have an XR8 with Fairmont interior.

One advantage of going my way: Insurance :D

Nice job!

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah it would be nice to have Fairmont insurance thats for sure!
The XR interior will be staying but will just have the mont door trims and all the mont goodies.
Will most likely need to have the door inserts retrimmed to match up properly.
Migh even go all out while the interior is out and put some mont plush pile carpet in it...............................

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
Thanks Ash. Can you see the pics? They are not coming up for me.
From doing a lot of reading and asking questions , yep the dash has to come out to do the conversion. Fun fun fun.

I had to clink on the link.

That's not a hard job but f**k it is a long and annoying one. You going to swap the A/C and heater cores while you at it? I know a guy that did it 3 times over a couple of months as he did a manual conversion, then the heater core went, then you guessed it, the A/C core went too.

Unfortunatley Ash we have just had the air con regassed so dont want to play around with it.
Will cross the bridge when we come to it. If either core does let go at some stage they will both be being done atthe same time thats for sure.
At least I dont have to worry about it coming back out to have a manual fitted. That will never happen.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

These are still by far the best looking XR's ever made. I would give my left nut for a manual one of these with leather :mrgreen:

Looks good man! Sounds like you have a good wife too, don't think my misses could handle a v8... she drives her Astina like a stunt driver and thats only a 1.5!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ash , 99% of the XR's we looked at had what looked to be a standard set of Falcon/Futura seats but covered in the XR8 chequered pattern material. This one has a pretty good set of side bolsters on them and the bottom of the seat is a slightly different shape. Pretty comfy actually and after talking to a few people apparantly they were a sports seat you could option.
Will have to get some pics of them for you.
If it become a manual , I dont know what Donna would do for a car. I would always be stealing it.
Even with the auto the rears tyres I think will be having a somewhat shorter life then the fronts. :lol:
Yeah Mason my missus is the best. I really did well when we got together!

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next